Disconnecting Internet From Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by adamson, Mar 10, 2016.

1. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    There are changes coming down the pike from ATT and your internet will be used for localized ad insertion and who knows what else. Therefore I will just not connect to my network for their use with unwanted advertising. There just is nothing offered by Directv to warrant connecting it to the net at all and never was.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    DIRECTV has been inserting ads to their DVRs for years.

As long as I can still SKIP30 through commercials, I'm happy.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep, nothing new here. We just don't really notice it.

But if the talk of the streaming service is accurate where if the DVR will pull shows being recorded during rain fade is accurate, that is worthy right there.

1 person likes this.
  4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That's not coming via the Internet. That's coming via satellite. Has been for years.

Internet allows for more advanced search results (in theory) as it actually question the Internet when you do smart searches. Also allows you to use Video On Demand. They will send some secondary info that way like
    Posters I believe but those come via satellite too. It's whichever gets it faster I think.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I disconnected my mom's Genie from the internet, but for a different reason. She didn't like it because the Play Next Feature would go out and download episodes from a series because it thought she wanted them. She didn't.

6. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    ATT cannot even provide internet and claim they can, they want to prevent others for giving you service. My Genie will never see the internet again. They will use the internet for their benefit and not mine. I will not help them make more money by subscribing to the coup detat that took over Directv.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    OK..........

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That's cool.
    If you have no need for TV Apps, PPV ordering from the remote, VOD or ever streaming outside the home with recorded content (like Genie Go), by all means disconnect from the internet.

9. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    What you really need to do is go buy a lot of boxes of Kleenex and then cancel DTV and go with some other provider. You will need the Kleenex for the new provider. Either switch or grow up and get your head out of your but and stop complaining about ATT,

10. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I just did that. Not the Kleenex part, the switching provider part.

What OP needs to realize is this - cable and/or TiVo require that Internet access, and they're probably collecting more info on you than AT&T/D* would think to collect.

Switch providers, after a few days you'll no longer even miss the UI on the D* DVR. And other options can certainly be MUCH more responsive than even the Genie. And so nice to be free of rain fade. But my IPTV provider is no saint when it comes to ad insertion and data collection.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think it's funny when people think DIRECTV started collecting different data when att took over. They've been doing the same thing all along and while they would love to have everyone have att the reality is they do nothing to stop you from getting someone else's Internet and can't stop you even if you wanted to. That argument made zero sense to me.