1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discontuining service, can I just phone or do I have to write?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by janeslogin, Jan 14, 2011.

1. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    I'm running out of money. Dish is next to go. Discontinuing service, can I just phone or do I have to write?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Phone.

3. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Phone, write, carbon copy everyone you can think of. And keep notes on who you talk to including times and dates and as much of the conversation as you can! I am only half joking.

I am not trying to say this is only Dish. Any cable or sattelite service is the same. Keep track of every conversation including names, dataes, times, and details of what transpired.

Also, remember, they bill you for next month. You can quit, but they will not stop until next month.

4. jimestepp

jimestepp New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I thought you paid for service a month in advance?

5. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    They will prorate the bill if you cancel.

Call in, maybe they have a couple options to help with your costs.

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Of course this is correct. The notion that they will somehow not stop until next month is simply wrong.

7. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    What I meant is they bill you a month in advance. If you cancel, they don't like to refund what you already paid. They will turn your service off when the current billing period is over. You should not have to pay more, unless you are under a contract. But be aware that your service may continue until what you already paid for runs out.

You can beg for a refund. You should get it if you ask, but don't count on that being a given to happen without you asking firmly for it!

Also, you might not own the equipment even though you may have paid a fee for it. That has to be returned. They used to pay shipping for that to happen. I have heard they stopped doing that and will require you to pay to ship the reciever back. Some people say also the LNB. Unless it is on a roof or some place "unsafe" for you to retrieve. Then they can give you a waiver if you ask.

Not trying to make this sound difficult. Just warning of the issues you need to watch out for that you might not be expecting!

8. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    And again, the first part is simply wrong. :rolleyes:

The fee structure now does have you now paying the cost of returning their rented equipment.

9. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I am glad they have changed their policy ... yet again. I still would not trust them.

Some day I may have to cancel service. Not yet. I have been a customer for ... I don't remember, but 14-16 years! I was an early adopter. In that time, they have messed up my account dozens of times, and I have returned a few recievers. Each time they had a different policy about how to return equipment after an upgrade or what extra steps it took to get the billing problem corrected.

I will stand by making sure you get everything in writing. They like changing the rules a lot!

10. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    I don't know about Dish but on DirecTV you can suspend your service in hopes that you will be able to add it back in a few months. Does Dish offer this service?

11. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    We do offer DISH Pause. This suspends your service for up to 6 months, and costs $5 a month.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You should be able to cancel on-line from within your Dish account, but then you would be depriving them of the opportunity to arm-twist you into staying.

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    nope, you'll have to hit the Chat support or call in.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I said you SHOULD be able to. It isn't an option, but it SHOULD be.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You were very helpful. :)

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Dropping service is too big of a step ... while some may not like "retention" tactics, verifying that canceling is what the customer needs to do is better than dropping people without any attempt to keep them as a customer.

Some people have received decent deals from "retention" that stopped them from losing all cable/satellite service or making a long commitment to any provider.

17. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    jkane is right on. I called and they had to speak to my spouse. She called and after some difficulty got them to agree to discontinue service and discontinue billing my credit card and they would send a box for me to return my hardware. They refused to give a transaction number or any confirmation of the discontinuance of service. They did not discontinue service and did not send the box and then billed for an additional month and then eleven days through the additional month they discontinued most but not all of the service.