Discussion HR23-700 {CE:15:11} 0x0286 - PRIVATE FIELD TEST

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR23 Discussion (private)' started by Mike Bertelson, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1 of 24
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Lets discuss the the good and the bad.

It seems to be responding to the remote a little better this time around.

Mike

2. Oct 4, 2008 #2 of 24
    Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    The first time I pushed the remote button - nothing happened. It took a good 10 seconds or more to get any response.

After that, everything seems better. Response is okay but I'll keep an eye on it. ;)

3. Oct 4, 2008 #3 of 24
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Yeah, I spoke too soon. It took 5 seconds for the List to come up.

I pressed Guide and nothing happened for a long time and I wound up pressing it again. The Guide flashed and then went to the list of filters because I has actually pressed the Guide button twice.

I'll run Diagnostic Report after we finish watch a recording.

Mike

4. Oct 4, 2008 #4 of 24
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Looks like I'm par for the course. I reported the following in the issue thread but I too have slow remote response and some lag when browsing the guide and/or playlist.

5. Oct 4, 2008 #5 of 24
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    My Network Services is not working either in automatic or manual. First time this has occurred for me as I have never had the first problem with network connections on either the HR23-700 or the HR20-700.

I do have connection to the internet, and everything is working but Network Services. I downloaded some DOD, so no problems there.

6. Oct 4, 2008 #6 of 24
    Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I will have to say, watching O'Brother Where are Thou and the PQ looks the best I've ever seen! :up:

7. Oct 5, 2008 #7 of 24
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    If you do have you seen this issue?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1821524&postcount=9

I've had it happen several times and I'm able to set it up and reproduce it.

I have a theory that this is unique to SWM.

If you have SWM could you test it out?

If you don't have SWM could you also test it out?

Conditions of the test:
    • Have two show set to record. Either both starting at the same time or already recording on the background tuner. Both recording have to over lap.
    • When you get the popup asking to change the channel select ok.
    • Immediately go to the play list and watch something that will not end before one of the recordings.
    • When you're done watching, select delete the return to live TV.
    • What channel are you on and do you have SWM?
    TIA

Mike

8. Oct 6, 2008 #8 of 24
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Wow! :eek:

HR21-100 & HR23-700 locked tighter than a drum.

Not responsive to the remote or front panel.

Others in the HR2x/R22 CE issues thread have had the same problem this morning.

Both were fine all weekend. :scratchin

Stupid me over thinking it again. When both didn't respond to my remote I thought it must be the remote so I reset it.

What are the odds both receivers are locked, right? :grin:

Since they're both running basically the same firmware I should have realized that I needed to check the front panel and the RC64 sooner.

Over thought that one. Smart like rock, fast like tree....:lol:

Sometimes you just don't believe you own eyes. :)

Mike

9. Oct 6, 2008 #9 of 24
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Hey, I was 4 for 4 when I awoke. All 4 non-responsive. Whatever lockedup the units on the NR apparently affected the CE units also. I'm in the process of rebooting now, so I'll send the diagnostic reports in a little while.

10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Pretty interesting. :scratchin

It seems some are affected and some are not.

In cases with multiple receivers it isn't always all are locked.

Some of us were able to send Reports while some have to re-re-run IAMANEDGECUTTER to get Misc. options back.

Mike

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Both my HR20-700 & HR23-700 were locked up this morning. This one of those rare times when I would really like to hear what caused this. We are testing a release candidate and we find our units locked up and checking in the regular thread area this is obviously happening all over the place. Is it just people who downloaded the CE this weekend? Or is it everyone? But if it is CE related, why didn't it happen Saturday morning for Friday night and Sunday morning for Saturday night?

These are questions I would never ask in the other threads for fear of setting off the "POS" crowd over there, but here I feel safe asking these questions, this crowd is made up of people who understand the risks and accept the normal one way communication that should exist when testing equipment, but this incident begs for some 2 way communication.

Filed Diagnostic Report on this incident: 20081006-E2A

12. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Check the main forums. It's widespread - not limited to CE's.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, this isn't an HR23 issue or even a CE issue. What is it? Well we all want to know.

14. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Holy Mystery Glitch Batman! :lol:

15. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    The HR23 was not placed on standby last night - and appears to have survived whatever happened with all of the unresponsive HR2xs. My bedroom HR20 got hit, and I didn't realize this was widespread so I will have to check the other one (it was on standby so I am guessing it will be unresponsive at this point also).

16. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I have a question. Typically if I come across a bug in a CE that a lot of other people have reported, I don't generally report it unless I have more information to add, or better details as to how to recreate it.

Some time ago, I thought I had read where to mods were asking us to report all bugs even if they have been reported previously.

Is that still the case, or if it has been reported by a large majority, there is no need to take up valuable DB room. :)

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I trust that you'll use your best judgment, but don't worry about double-reporting. I would rather have you double-report than not report something important.

18. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    I think this one might almost qualify for poll status - although with the number of reports and differing s/w you almost have to think it was something that came from DirecTV (but I'd be the first to admit I can't think why) :confused:

Edit: and oddly enough there is a poll :)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=141604

19. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I have always used my better judgment until seeing those previous posts (asking us to post even if it is duplicate), and I was just wondering if it was still true.

For example, I feel stupid reporting the non-responsive box this morning since it was so wide spread and well known, but I was just trying to follow the directions that I remember. :)

20. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    The Good:
    • It's been my main DVR since Day 1 and has done it's job well. I haven't had any missed recordings; the prioritizer is working flawlessly; I don't have to babysit the To Do List. I'm pretty confident that it will record what its supposed to.
    • Network Services is working fine.
    • MediaShare is working.
    • Since I received the production model; I had to manually reset the box only once.
    • Did not lock up the morning of 10/6 as so many other HR2x boxes have.
    The Bad:
    • PQ still not as good as pre-production model
    • Acceptance of remote commands is slow
    • GUI interface is slow. (paging menu commands, changing menu screens, etc).
    • Some trick play lag. At times 30s skip freezes for about 2 seconds before it skips ahead.
    • Channel changing is still slow and jumpy; however that is the case with all the HR2x boxes.
    In general, I think the GUI on all DirecTV boxes should be updated. They are very functional but very flat. The boxes are new but the GUI makes them look dated IMHO.

Vinny