Disenfranchised

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by leww37334, Feb 6, 2020.

1. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I live in Lincoln co TN but all I can get is Huntsville Al stations, hundreds of Alabama politicians commercials. I don't even know who is running and zero information about their positions very little information about my local weather, the Nielsen districts make absolutely no sense - end of rant-

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Is there another DMA closer? It looks like you are due north of Huntsville not near another metro

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Lincoln County is 10 miles north of Huntsville. The DMA to the north, west and east of Lincoln County is Nashville's, about 85 miles to the city center. The Huntsville stations should do a better job of covering an area so close, but stations don't live up to their responsibilities.

I am in northern Indiana in a DMA with two Michigan counties. The local news stations do a good job of covering local news (including politics) for those two counties (one is within 5 miles of the station's studios). The stations also cover close counties outside of their DMA where their broadcast signal reaches.

4. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    What local market channels would a cable company give you?

5. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I can sympathize with this. In the Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk market, Lee County (IA) is the only Iowa county in the market that includes seven counties in Illinois and seven counties in Illinois. Keokuk is one of the largest cities in the market, but still an hour drive from Quincy, where the stations are based out of. It's always felt out of place and better suited for the Davenport-Rock Island-Moline market that includes other nearby Iowa counties, or even the Ottumwa-Kirksville market, albeit it's a little disjointed in structure.

A great question. I haven't subscribed to cable in years, but in our market, some cable stations used to offer Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk AND St. Louis locals.

Hopefully you can find an option that better provides the local news and weather you're wanting.

6. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    IMHO, disenfranchised is not the right word. When I was in the Marines and voted in 1972, I was stationed in North Caroline and voted in the Idaho election. Was really hard to find out what was happening in Idaho at the time. Nowadays, I can see newscasts or stories from almost every news station in the United States by looking up the call letters. All the candidates have web pages where you can research their stands. I believe you do have a problem which I think should be fixed, I'm just quibbling about the disenfranchised part of your statement