DISH 2019 Pricing

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Jan 26, 2019.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    New prices took effect on January 15th. This is the insert from my December bill.

AT120 $67.99, AT120+ $72.99, AT200 $82.99, AT250 $92.99, AEP $142.99
    Note that these are the prices before adding $12 for locals.

DISH2019Prices.jpg
    Info Center | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

2. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    $5 per year since 2012 (no increase in 2012). 2011 was a $5 increase ... prior to than only AEP saw an increase over $4 in a single year.

The separation of locals from the packages allows customer's to reduce their bills by $12. The non-tier packages (Welcome, Smart and Flex) allow for a deeper discount with less channels.

The channel packages have grown over the years. Flex pack is 90 channels (including the public interest channels DISH is required to deliver). Content providers that require the delivery of their core channels to all subscribers has increased the size of the low end packages. AT120 is now 132 video channels plus 104 audio channels. AT120+ adds 11 sports channels for $5. AT200 is 181 video channels plus 104 audio channels. AT250 is 208 video channels plus 123 audio channels. (These counts do not include the RSNs, alternate sports channels or PPV.) If DISH renamed the packages they could call them AT230, AT280 and AT330.

$5 per year .... I was hoping the increases would be less.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Since most/all of the retrans agreements include annual increases, I guess it's not surprising that our costs go up as well. With the subscriber numbers falling, maybe we should be thankful the prices didn't go up any more than they did...

4. zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    I am surprised the local pack stayed at $12.00. I was expecting an extra increase in that package as well as the base packages. So in essence, I was preparing for a $6-$8 increase.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Last night, just for fun I compared the pricing between Dish and Direct. Wow! What a huge difference. I had no idea that Direct had gone up that much. Of course there is that discount for the first year, but the second year, Yikes! $189 for their biggest package and $160 for the 250 type one. That is more than my utility bills! I am quite happy with Dish and have no plans to switch, but I am quite shocked to see how expensive Direct TV has gotten. How do they keep customers at those prices? One friend has the Welcome Pack and she said that Direct TV was out of the question as when she checked they had no inexpensive packages.

6. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Easy, a LOT - & probably most of their new subs - are getting discounts, such as:
    - Bundling w/other AT&T services such as internet (both fiber & legacy U-verse), cellular & landline
    - Bundled TV subs - on either U-verse TV AND DirecTV - now get HBO FREE with some other services (I believe they just expanded the requirements needed for this, to enable more subs to get it now)
    - Like other subs, many DO call in when the promo's run out & get put back on some sort of promo pricing; AGAIN, if they're on bundled AT&T services, they'll be much more successful on getting it...than a DirecTV-only sub

- NOT always true; they have ALSO have been offering some 24-month promo's, with reduced prices for the entire term

It's not really any different with some other providers...I've been on the same promo pricing on my triple-play w/Comcast for almost a decade; as soon as my promo would run out, I simply walked into our local office & they would put me right back on it for another 2-years. (I had to sign a contract, but since my neighborhood will probably NEVER see AT&T fiber, it's the ONLY way to get internet speeds like 100+ meg; I get well over 250meg myself)
    And Comcast last month actually shocked me, when they called me & proactively told me my promo pricing was going to run out next month...& offered to re-up me AGAIN on the same promo pricing for another 2 years! Of course I accepted the offer & they immediately e-mailed me a contract to (electronically) sign & send back, all while we were still talking on the phone - couldn't have been any easier! :D

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder after all of the promo stuff is deducted from a Direct TV Bill, if the Ultimate package ($160) goes down to what the AT250 package is with Dish? Those retail prices are so much higher than Dish's retail prices. I have Verizon for my cel phone service as the coverage is the best. I need the best coverage being is a service business, but if I had AT&T I could get a discount with Direct as they advertise it locally. For cable we have Spectrum, which I do have for phone & internet. No DSL out here, but Dish still has what I generally want. I get 100 down at the moment, as Spectrum works well with no caps.

8. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh yea, I forgot to also mention that I also have my cell phone on Comcast as well, which is an MNVO on Verizon's network. After having an issue getting my new phone from them, once I got it, they ported my number over within 5 minutes, all from their website. (I didn't even have to call them to activate it!) The service has been great with NO issues whatsoever, & I can't complain about now only paying $15/month (this includes all our local taxes/fees) for unlimited talk/text & 1 Gig of data. I'm NOT a large mobile data user at all, as we have plenty of Comcast public Wi-Fi hotspots around here & if I would get into a situation where it would be better on $45/unlimited data, there is an app on our phones that we can INSTANTLY change to that...the only requirement then is you have to stay on that for 1 bill cycle, then you can switch back to per-Gig pricing, all with no change fees.

So basically, for all 4 services with Comcast, including 250/20 internet, largest basic TV package (Digital Preferred) 1 cablecard (I have a Tivo Roamio+ with lifetime service) 1 standard cablebox & 1 DTA (getting ready to take it back) my entire bill is only about $185, including all taxes & "fees".

Spectrum just started the same type of service, also on Verizon's network, but it charges $14/per Gig or $45/unlimited. The only requirement from them I understand, is that you have to have their internet service.

The one drawback with BOTH services...BYOD is VERY limited. (Comcast only recently allowed some iPhones to be brought over, but NO Andriods yet :( ) I believe Spectrum doesn't have any BYOD yet, so you would have to factor in buying a new phone. I happened to need a new phone, so for me it worked out perfectly...YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    If locals become too high, many people will do without. The local stations do not want to lose viewers. At $20 a pop, I know of several who would do without if they did not have an OTA option. I have not checked, but I wonder if Direct or Spectrum Cable has an extra charge for locals?

10. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    specscum charges almost 10 smakers for the locals it's a broadcast fee. and no you can't remove them either. since they wouldn't fix 20 year old crap from the old adelphia days where i am i gave em the two middle fingers and told em to screw. they did not care. anyways video is a failing business because of the content providers and them wanting to keep cranking up the rates

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cable is required to deliver locals to their TV subscribers. (Fortunately one can subscribe to Internet only without violating federal law.) Satellite is not required to deliver locals and can allow individual customers to opt out.

The "broadcast fee" charged by cable is a way of leveling the prices for cable companies who operate in multiple markets. They can advertise "$50 per month" (or whatever price) across several markets then add the broadcast fee needed to cover the locals in each market. DIRECTV and some cable providers have a "regional sports fee" that can vary market to market. Advertise a flat price and add the "sports fee" which can vary per market. Fortunately DISH does not have a "sports fee" added to package prices and allows customers to opt out of local channels.

NYDutch likes this.
  12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I always wondered why the local stations charge Dish/cable so much. If OTA is free, then locals in any form should be the same. Now with Roku, most of the nets are available and a lot of TV stations have their apps available for free on the Roku, so in many cases a person streaming can have access to their local TV station for the news, public affairs, etc and the network app for the net shows. How long will it be until nearly everything streams? Got the first Roku in 2013 and wow have things changed. Sinclair has their app (STIRR) available for free, with the local station there for news and the stream of Comet, TBD, Charge! and other channels for free.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Stations charge "because they can". The stations that are not popular enough to charge choose "must carry" on satellite and cable and force carriage of their content. But the popular channels, generally the major networks, have found themselves to be in a position where they can charge for retransmission. The major station groups bargain as one agreement when dealing with nationwide services such as DISH and DIRECTV. And the price keeps going up.

I do not expect free streaming (if available for a station) to last forever. As the stations lose their paid subscriptions via satellite and cable they will notice the loss of income. They can raise their fees to compensate but eventually they will need to either charge for streaming or learn to live without the income that they have grown accustomed to receiving. As with the fees they charge satellite and cable providers, I expect the streaming fees will start out small ... $1 per month to watch all of the content on one station? Perhaps less. Someone is going to need to pay for the infrastructure needed to stream the stations (servers and access control). If the consumer is lucky it will be paid for by streaming advertisers. But I expect that all streams of popular channels will eventually have a fee.

Consider any free streaming to be similar to a drug dealer (including the major pharmaceutical companies) giving out free samples to get you hooked ... and then charging you once you can't live without what they are selling. :)

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Like with the Big Dish, there will always be free apps for streaming, mostly with ads. But the day the local station starts charging as they offer OTA for free, I doubt the public will go for it. Right now some streaming services are gone because viewers were not willing to pay for them. I have 300+ TV stations on one Roku, the one just for news. They are all free to watch the local content. I just don't see them charging the viewer to watch. Especially since they do have ads. There are too many good pay services out there (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO, Showtime) for people to pay for a local station. They have always been free and I think a lot of viewers still expect them to stay free. Now if someone buys Sling, or Direct Now, etc and the locals are included, then they will pay for that. But time will tell. One statement is true, the OTA stations charge Dish because they can. If people are willing to pay for OTA TV, I guess they will.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    We pay Dish for locals because too often it's the only way we can get them. We're in a location right now where three cities with locals are all ~50 miles away, and the relatively small OTA antenna on our RV can't get a reliable signal from any of them through the trees. Since we're only here for 2 weeks putting up a higher and larger antenna isn't practical, if the park would even allow it. Streaming has opened up new possibilities for us, but then we're dependent on having a strong enough cell signal to support it, something else that's not a given everywhere we go.

16. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I’m glad they are separating locals because some of us get good OTA reception and don’t need them provided by Dish. With the OTA dongles, it’s easy to integrate them with the receivers.

17. jtb50

jtb50 AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    I have been with D for 20 yrs, and the most recent increase has caused me to jump to Dish. Saving 32 a month.