1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish & 53" HDTV widescreen

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nyteeyes, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyteeyes

nyteeyes Guest

Hi all. I have a couple of questions. I just got my new widescreen yesterday. It looks great with DVD, but sometimes is hard to watch with just DISH. Now I am aware that you need the Dish 7000 receiver I think it is, for HDTV broadcast, but I cant see purchasing it until more stations broadcast in HDTV. My question is, how do you smooth it out a bit? I have the Hitachi 53UWX10BA, so far the best picture I see is using the Smooth Wide fill mode. There is a little wierdness in the picture on the sides because its being stretched, and I know that not much can be done about it. As I mentioned before, my DVD's look great. Im just curious what you other widescreen owners do when watching Sat broadcast.

Thanks in advance.

2. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I think it just goes with the territory. Between video compression and the size of your screen, regular broadcast pixelation will be evident.

Maybe try sitting further away from the screen (not much of a solution, I know).

You should also try 4:3 with the sidebars, that may help, but gives you an equivalent of about a 32" 4:3 TV.

If you have projection, don't use it too much as the sidebars may burn in over time. If you have TFT, I want your checkbook.... :D

3. rschneider

rschneider New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    In order to get the most out of your HDTV you will need the Dish 6000. Currently there is a good deal of HD content available now:

HBO HD
    Showtime HD
    Discovery Channel HD
    HD PPV
    CBSHD (available in certain areas only)

Also with the 8vsb OTA module you can also use the 6000 to tune in your local affiliates' HD channels. The local HD channels will be integrated into the program guide.

But most importantly, One of the best kept secrets of the Dish 6000 is that it does an AWESOME job of up-converting standard definition channels to 1080i. It's not as sharp as true HD but Standard channels look pretty darned good on an HD capable set. The 6000 will do a much better job of up-converting than the internal scaler on your Hitachi.

Give it a try, the cost is about $400 + $150 for the OTA module. Dish Depot has specials and package deals from time to time.

Good luck,

Richard

4. ClearCom

ClearCom AllStar

Jul 1, 2002
    Earth
    I have dealt with many new widescreen installation and the reason the picture looks so bad with satellite is in the compressiion of the signal and the db that the receviers is providing for the TV.
    The easiest way to correct the picture quality is to turn down the sharpness/contrast almost all the way down. You might have to adjust the brightness down as well.
    This usually works!

Good luck

5. fredsal2

fredsal2 Guest

The PQ on our 19" TV looks fine, but on our 53" HDTV, the picture appears worse - really, it just magnifies the problems that are otherwise too small to notice.

You could try watching TV through binoculars, backwards, to make the picture smaller!

A more serious suggestion is indeed the DISH 6000 - especially if the stations in your area are broadcasting in digital. Even if they aren't HD yet, the digital transmission will give you the best picture possible for locals. All stations were SUPPOSED to be broadcasting digital in May, but many obtained an FCC extension. Check out www.titantv.com to see the status of your local stations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.