1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish 721 receiver

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by IndyMichael, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Are all of the bugs out of it? Also, can you get it cheaper than the $599/$549 Dish sells it for? I'd like to have two pvr's and having one that records two shows at once would be nice.

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    When L1.11 comes out (Which is now the name of what was known as L1.10) the unit will become very solid. :) L1.09 is not bad but does have some bugs (65 timer issue, Lip sync problem when pressing FF to many times etc..)

The 721 is a very good buy.

3. BobFly

BobFly AllStar/Supporter

Mar 10, 2003
    The 721 is awesome...even though it has a few flaws!

4. Danbo

Danbo AllStar/Supporter

Oct 3, 2002
    Ummm... For the record, it's not "Lip sync problem when pressing FF to many times". You can press it just once and have the problem, either skip ahead or skip back. Doesn't matter the number of times, just happens, off and on (more on then off).

5. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Call some local installers and see what they'll sell it for. I got mine for $499 from a local guy here in Denver.

Dennis

6. mjschuyler

mjschuyler Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 2, 2002
    Dish Depot has on their site at $519.00 for a standalone receiver. Free 2nd day shipping. The 721 IS E* best receiver. I've had most of them 2000,2300,3000, JVC DVHS/5000,Dishplayers,501,508 and now 721's.

Murray

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber AllStar

Oct 23, 2002
    I love my 721, despite the fact the hard drive just went bad this week. It's under warranty and they're shipping me a replacement, so I can't complain.

Other than the relatively minor bugs, it's a great machine.

8. pjm877

pjm877 Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 27, 2003
    Austin, tx
    First: new member, been lurking for a while.

Q: I have a 721 connected to the TV through my Denon 5800+ Receiver with the S-Cable and I see a black line off about 1/8" from the bottom of my 32 tv. The 501 or 6000 connected in the same way do not have this new "Feature"

anybody else see this?

Also while I have your ear... err.. eyes. When I switch to FOXNS (ch 205, 119,6) on port 1 I get lost Sig. but if I pip switch to port 2 I get a lock? Yes I tried switching the connections to the sw64 and the problem does not move. But, the really strange thing is when port 2 gets the lock port 1 will too. Turn out that 119, 6/9/21 have the same problem, no other area's of that bird are effected.

Other than the above the 721 as worked as advertised

Thanks for the opportunity to post and in adv for any help,

9. doode968

doode968 Guest

Hi pjrn877

You can adjust the screen centering on the 721. Its one of the setup options.

I had the same problem with FOXNS (ch 205,119,6). Just learned to live with it. But then the HD went out on my system and I got an exchange 721. The sync prob is no longer there. I am using an SW64 as well.

I had 3 exchanges on the 721 so far. First one was for a bad tuner. Tuner #2 would not lock on ANY channel. The second two were for hard drive problems. I hope #3 is golden.

I almost switched to digital cable until I found out that they still don't have their act together.

10. sulu600

sulu600 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2003
    PJM877,

When I first activated my new (4-15-03) 721, tuner 2 took quite a while to get any signal, but since then, no problems. Only thing I really miss is the OTA tuner that my 5000 had, but the new remote makes working my 36" Zenith pretty easy when weather kills the signal. I am using two SW21's to a pair of Legacy Dual LNBF's on a rather large Channel Master dish with Starband internet access, so rain fade's are a little less common that with the 20" Dish500 dish. I have never had any problems with FOXNW on 205, works on both tuners fine here.

Steve Park
    Elizabethtown, KY

11. belador

belador Cool Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I do on my 721 whenever I am watching on my TV tuner card in my PC which shows all of the lines and the full width, in another words, no overscan. I could put up a pic of it if anyone wants to see it.

Here is that shot since it is a small file....

[​IMG]

If one looks just a bit off the bottom of the image, there is a black line right about where the bottom of the 721's menus would be. I would hazard a guess that the 721's software is not quite clearing that line off. Prolly a off by one bug in the menu clearing routine. :)

Attached Files:

12. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    My 721 perodically gets the non responsive remote bug and lip sync bug. The remote one effects the front panel controls too so its not the remote. sometimes pushing dish home fixes it but a reboot always does. my box when the hard drive gets full it bogs down going to guide, again reboot fixes it. Actually it working pretty good currently, I am on my seventh 721 although several were replaced unnecessarily because of lost tuner 2s eventually fixed b replacing the dishpro lnb and switch/

please note the ONLY proper test for a 721 is ANOTHER 721. I put two 508s on my 721 dishpro leads and they worked perfectly. advanced tech said lost tuner twos are software related

the 65 timer bug was fixed, it would put the box in a endless reboot cycle:( As of a previous software upgrade it just locks you out of creating over 65 timers.

13. frustrated with 721

frustrated with 721 New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    I have had my pvr 721 for about 2 years and everything has been wonderful until the last 3-4 weeks. Whenever it starts a timer to record the picture on live tv goes to black. I can watch tv withouth a problem when it is not recording. I can also record and watch a previously recorded program.

DISH keeps telling me that it is a software problem. Why only now? Any one have any ideas?

14. Presence

Presence Godfather

Mar 14, 2004
    Have they fixed the problem so the 721 can update if you have DishPro LNBFs?

15. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    My 2 - 721s are working fine right now. Still have the original I bought in 2002. As far as using the dishpro quad to update your initial software, No this is still not possible. You have to have either a legacy or dishpro twin to do the initial software install. If they ever make the 522 available to mortal men and they fix the software bugs on that receiver ,I will think of replacing one 721 with one of those and then maybe use the new hd 922 ,that will be based on the same software as the 522, on my big screen. It looks like the 721 /921 Linux software is a dead end and they will not be making any more in these series. The 522 if enabled for dual mode will operate the same way as the 721 and the 922 will do the same with hd recording and a dvd writer included in the docking bay in front. OF course with the way Dish is changing their minds from hour to hour on what will and won't be included on these receivers , who knows?

16. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I also really like the 721, although it is a bit pricey. I think it has the best interface, lots of hard drive space for recording, and two tuners to record two things at once while viewing a previously recorded event all at the same time. It is one of their best receivers, although the 921 would be even better without some of the bugs I have heard about due to even more hard drive space and HD capable, although is quite steep in price.

17. jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy Legend

Jul 19, 2002
    I have had on for 1.5 yrs and completely addicted. Been replaced once on warranty, but otherwise more solid than my Dell laptop. This is afterall Linux not Microsoft. Since replacement for bad tuner unit has not been rebooted- must be months now. (Fingers crossed).

18. rathergood

rathergood Mentor

Jul 29, 2003
  19. daveray

daveray AllStar

Feb 12, 2004
    Try to swap your sat. feed cables and do a switch check. I have had a 721 for 1.5 years and found tuner #1 failed by this procedure.

20. GoFish

GoFish New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    IdnyMike , there are eight E*721 receivers currently listed on eBay for what it's worth.
    I am still on my original 721 after 15+ months and wouldn't trade it for any other receivers out there unless maybe it was "a closer to bug free" 921 but of course that looks like it might be some time away. The only bug that I've seen with this version of software is the remote control losing its functionality (rarely experienced) and as BobH mentions this quickly resolved by pushing the Home key. Of course I'm also influenced by lack of a surcharge on my dvr tuners since I was grandfathered in with this unit.
    -------------------------------------
    Edit
    Opps.. Looking back @ Indy's original post Apr 2003.. I guess my reply was prolly just a little late..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.