1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish absence of ethics

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DrJay, Aug 28, 2010.

1. DrJay

DrJay New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    This morning, an email informed me that the movie channels had been added to my programming. This was the result of activating my replacement receiver. I had not ordered these.

I called to remove these only to learn I was already subscribed and had been for over a year. I asked how this was possible. About a year ago I had problems with the DVD. At the time I was informed I would receive the movie channels free for a period of time in compensation for my difficulties.

I was never informed this was part of a promotion. I was never informed the free subscription had to be canceled at its end.

Dish has refused to give any refund except for the next month. I consider their behavior to be unethical at a minimum; it's also probably illegal.

My advise: don't look at the Dish horse in the mouth. It will bight you.

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    You don't check your bill each month?

3. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    You most likely got a "free for 3 month" deal that has always required that you cancel at the end of the 3 months period if you don't wish to be charged for them.

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Im always amazed when a post includes the info "for over a year" or six months or even 3 months. Most billing issues can be easily resolved with a phone call or a chat session, but after a year?

I've had customers that swear I didn't tell them about progrmming promo periods or contract lengths or free "service Plan" period even though I provide every customer wiih this info both verbally and in writing. Unfortunatly, with some customers, much that is said goes in 1 ear and out the other and any paperwork that is left behind is never read or finds its way into the round file. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP but it's not uncommon.

On second thought, the OP stated that he was informed that he would receive some movie channels free for "a period of time" (likely 3 mos). He didn't have a problem when the 3 free mos. turned into a year?:confused:

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    We have a late entry into the "Worst Thread of the Month" competition, here...

6. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Better the other end? :)

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    This goes along with that nautical adage, "Don't stand in a bite (sic)." :sure:

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hate to pick on people, and hate to generalize... but...

Anyone who doesn't notice something on their bill for a year has no reason to complain.

I'm not aware of any free-promotion from any company for anything that ever expires on its own. They always are free for a bit, then automatically convert to a paid service/subscription if you do not cancel in a timely manner. This has been true for at least the last 40 years (how long I have been alive) so no one should be surprised.

On top of that... one should notice when his bill goes up and wonder why... and ask why... and upon finding charges for channels he doesn't want, should then ask about cancelling those channels.

Dish isn't perfect, and they do things wrong sometimes... but this is not one of those circumstances.

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's good... :)

Of course, I suspect the OP is not sure of the origins of the quote which he re-purposed... so it kind of doesn't even make sense if he had the spelling right.

FYI, for anyone paying attention who cares...

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"... was really meant more about the person who gave you the horse and not the horse itself. A good way to tell the health of a horse was to look at its teeth... so if someone gave you a horse back in those days and you looked at it to see if it was a healthy horse, you were somewhat insulting the gift-giver because you were implying that you didn't want his gift if it weren't up to your standards.

I've known many people who "wanted money back" for something free that they didn't like... when you make that statement to a friend or a neighbor who gives you something free, it's a big insult that wasn't necessary.

Hence.. don't look a gift horse in the mouth. At least wait until later when you are alone to do so.

Meanwhile, back to your regularly scheduled thread rant :)

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Stewart, Did you really feel the need to explain the quote? :grin:

11. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    It is not that simple to just say that if he doesn't notice his bill for a year he has no reason to complain.

If Dish billed him without authorization, even if he should have noticed it, but didn't, then Dish is wrong and owes him a refund. In other words, if Dish did not fully explain the terms of the offer, there is no contract for the movie channels. (As a side note, if your bank erroneously credits your checking account with a deposit you did not make, the bank can go back and recover that money a year later.)

If, on the other hand, Dish told him the terms of the offer, but he didn't listen or forgot, then Dish is in the right and doesn't owe a refund.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Helpful. :lol:

13. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fair and Balanced? :)

14. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    This a kin to magazine suscriptions, the mag gives you 6 months then a unremarkable card or envelope arrives giving you the option to buy or pass. If you don't pass formally you pay like it or not.....I have no way to back this up but I would suspect that a significant number of folks toss it, forget it or whatever....and bingo you get billed on your credit card, pay the bill and the beat goes on. :eek: Although a friend signed up for dishTV a while ago he got one of those freebee HBO and Showtime for several months deals. They were notified via mail and e-mail that the ride was over. They passed.....:wave:
    So, the lesson seems to be clear, pay attention to those messages....after all, dishTV would never take advantage...not...:icon_da:
    Best of luck :icon_band

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... a combination of boredom AND figuring at least the OP didn't know how to use it properly... and there you go... a mini-nugget in the middle of a thread.

I could have ended with the "The More You Know" tag line :)

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    In most cases, it really is. I get a little tired of people who have something that they didn't notice for a year and then suddenly the world will end tomorrow if they don't get it fixed today. All things being equal, Dish should get the same year to "notice" once the person complains about it, right?

Mostly true... but in most cases the first question that would be asked if it went to court was... did he watch those channels he says he didn't want to pay for? How much you want to bet he watched those channels a bunch of times over the last year, in which case it was proper to pay for them as he watched them.

I bet in the reverse situation, if he was getting free channels that he wasn't paying for... he wouldn't feel like he should pay all the back-dues for the free months.

And of course, the OP clearly states that he accepted the free 3 months offer... so he knew that he was getting a limited time deal... and as noted, I'm not aware of any free limited deal that doesn't say up front that you have to cancel or be billed.

Consider... IF after 3 months Dish just dropped those channels, you can bet he'd post and complain that Dish dropped channels without asking him if he wanted to keep them.

That's not really the same example though... Their only taking back money that should never have been yours to begin with and correcting their own error. In this case, the error is on the part of the customer who didn't cancel the channels he didn't want... and continued to pay the bill for a year, which is tantamount to approving the practice.

You protest a charge on your bill by not paying it... you don't pay it for a year and then suddenly say "I shouldn't have been paying for that for a year". IF that would fly, then we could all call up and say we've been paying for the Everything package for a year, but really didn't want that package and demand a refund for the past year. How does Dish differentiate one situation from the other?

And I'm willing to bet this is really what happened.

17. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    He is saying that he had trouble with the "DVD" (I assume DVR) and therefore Dish compensated him by giving him movie channels free for a "period of time." He didn't say that he was offered three months free, then pay or cancel. I am responding based on the facts that he outlined.

If people just called up and demanded a refund for the Everything Pack, that would be dishonest and an entirely different situation. It really has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

I don't believe that a company or an individual should be able to take advantage of another just because that person did not look closely at the bill, and the law does not support that. Maybe he watched the movie channels during the past year, maybe not, but that is not directly relevant to whether or not he had a contract with Dish for these channels. A contract requires a "meeting of the minds," or an "offer and acceptance." That may not have occurred here.

It is certainly possible that the Dish service representative did not make the situation clear or did not disclose the terms of the offer. In that case, there was no contract. It is equally possible that the Dish service representative did make full disclosure, but the customer acted as though he understood, but really did not, or forgot. In that case, there probably was a contract. These are factual questions that may never be fully answered.

18. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I smell mini-series. :)

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well they certainly won't be answered here ... The OP has expressed his opinion of the exchange he had with a CSR ... DISH Network will not be going on record on a public discussion website about a customer's account. So you WILL NOT have all of the facts in this specific case. (We may not even hear from the OP again ... many complaints are drive bys.)

But if you want to play amateur litigator you can read DISH's residential agreement that all subscribers agree to when they sign up for service (available on their web site) and try to understand that DISH has been sending official notices to this customer since he apparently accepted the offer. (Laymen would consider those notices "bills".) The customer acknowledged his acceptance of the terms by continuing to pay those bills.

And now it is "all DISH's fault" that a customer refused to read his bill? How many legal notices do they need to send? The monthly bill, acknowledged by payment of said bill, should be enough. And if you think he deserved more notifications, read the Residential Agreements.

20. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    This is a lot of strurm und drang over a drive-by post by someone who never bothered to read his bill for a year, and was upset when he finally did.