DISH activates The Google Assistant on Hopper receivers; debuts new Google-branded voice remote

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Aug 1, 2019.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH activates The Google Assistant on Hopper receivers; debuts new Google-branded voice remote | Dish

- Access the Assistant using DISH voice remote; no additional devices required
    - Control DISH set-top boxes, view weather updates, manage smart home tech and more
    - Available today at no extra cost on Hopper, Joey and Wally set-top boxes

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 31, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today began rolling out a software update on the company's Hopper family receivers that allows customers to access the Google Assistant via the DISH voice remote at no additional cost. Customers can use the DISH voice remote to ask the Assistant questions related to what they're watching, as well as receive weather updates, find nearby restaurants, view photos on the screen, control smart home devices and more. These new capabilities build on the DISH voice remote's existing ability to control the TV, including navigation, search and channel selection.

To complement this new integration, the company also debuted a new Google-branded DISH voice remote. With a Google-branded voice button, users can easily speak commands into the remote to activate the Assistant. Existing DISH voice remotes also support the integration.

"Our customers have enthusiastically embraced voice control technology as a key part of their TV experience, so we wanted to find a way to provide even more value and entertainment with the introduction of the Google Assistant on Hopper family receivers," said Rob Sadler, DISH director of product development. "With this update, we've expanded functionality to allow customers to not just control their Hopper, but to ask questions, get answers and control their smart home all through their remote."

Using the Google Assistant on Hopper family receivers
    DISH customers can use the DISH voice remote to ask the Assistant general questions like weather forecasts or game scores – and see answers on the screen. Customers can also control their DISH TV experience; manage their smart home devices, such as dimming the lights or adjusting the thermostat; and relive favorite memories from Google Photos. Verbal and visual responses are seamlessly integrated into the existing DISH voice control experience across all Hopper family receivers using cloud-rendering technology from TVersity.

Below are examples of spoken commands customers can ask the Assistant:

"Change the channel to ESPN"
    "Show me comedies"
    "On Demand"
    "Search for funny cat videos on YouTube"
    "Launch Netflix"
    "Tom Hanks movies"
    "Will I need an umbrella today?"
    "What's the score of the baseball game"
    "Show me my photos in Hawaii"
    "Dim the living room lights"
    "What's on my agenda today?"
    "Lock the front door"

Customers with a DISH voice remote and a broadband-connected Hopper (all generations), Joey (all models) or Wally can access the Google Assistant once they receive the software update. New customers and existing DISH customers without a voice remote can visit mydish.com/voice-remote to check their eligibility for a free Google-branded voice remote.

To learn more about DISH's new integration with the Google Assistant on Hopper receivers, visit dishvoiceremote.com.

Google is a trademark of Google LLC.

NashGuy likes this.
  2. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    DISH has been SO much better than DirecTV over the past few years in innovating the user experience and feature set for their service. It's not even close. Yes, DirecTV has added support for 4K HDR (as has DISH), but the DirecTV Genie receivers have otherwise completely stagnated. Meanwhile, the Hopper keeps getting better and better.

3. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Anyone know what criteria they use to determine if existing customers are eligible for free voice remote?

4. Mshurtleff

Mshurtleff New Member

Aug 17, 2019
    With Dish Google Assistant you are sending everything about your viewing and searches to Google or it's partners (code for anyone paying Google for your info). If you don't want this you are kicked off the previous version of Voice Search and have to type in (Text Search). I don't want Google watching me watch TV but do want the older Dish Voice Search. Tech support said too bad, I have to use Text Search if I don't accept all of Google's release terms.

5. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I know. I have stopped using the voice remote completely, although I only used it occasionally before. Dish should give customers an opt out for the Google option. Why should Goggle get paid for telling people what I watch? If they want that info, they should pay ME for it!

Same reason I never wear clothes with visible brands on them. If they want to use my body for a billboard they can let me know and MAYBE I'll rent them some sleeve or pocket space!

6. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Finally, a few people who aren't sheep! google is garbage! I too avoid all these horrific id data capture crooks i.e. google and facebook and a sad state of affairs that there are so many sheep in this society. Bring back the voice command w/o stealing our data, get rid of that crappy google!

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    What was FW versions before the invention and after for H3 ?

8. Ronald Kohlman

Ronald Kohlman New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    maybe dish should concentrate their time and resources into getting channels back instead of wasting time on garbage like google assistant and this whole wireless carrier crap!