Dish Aiming issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Mervis, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Hello all. I've been having signal issues for a while now. I can get most of the channels to work but not all at once. lol

Let me start with one piece of equipment history. A few years ago after an overnight storm I had no signal. Went outside to check dish and it had "fallen" on the elevation side of the mount. It was facing straight down like a dead flower. I got the elevation from the receiver (52) and set it there. No signal. Had help inside and finally got the signal back but the elevation position indicator on the mount now reads in the mid 30's. Weird but it worked so I went on with my life.

Now, over the past six months or so I've started having signal issues, pix-elation and the like. I've been up and down a bunch of times and as I said in the open, I can get three or four Sats to work but not all five and at best the readings are in the 40's with the weakest down at 25-30. 101 stays consistent at 72-80 depending. Using Facebook Live so I can work on a Sat at a time. I've looked at the transponder Excel sheet so I understand how the channels are assigned.

I read another recent thread about trees and line of sight. When I look up the transponder arm I can see that the only trees anywhere near my line of sight have grown and I can understand how my signal issues have become worse as the leaves have filled in this spring. But I downloaded the app that shows where the satellites are located in the sky and it indicates they are further West and higher in the sky......which is the reason why I related the story about the dish falling and the elevation reading not being anywhere 52 degrees.

So that is my story. I am probably going to move in the next 6 weeks so not going to call for a tech as I don't want to pay. I will get it back in close and live with a few no signals. Just wondering what you all thought.

Thanks
    Mervis

2. Jul 7, 2017 #2 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If it fell on it's face it most likely bent the arm that holds the LNB. This directly affects the reading you are getting. You can try to straighten it out but it probably needs to be replaced.

3. Jul 7, 2017 #3 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Good point. Looks OK though.

Attached Files:

4. Jul 7, 2017 #4 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    [​IMG]

5. Jul 7, 2017 #5 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    I did put a level on the upper part of the mast and seems to be OK. There is no leveling bubble on the top of the mast.

6. Jul 7, 2017 #6 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I know we are just loking at a picture but I went out and looked at mine and it appears to me that the arm is bent down quite a bit from what mine looks like. That white plastic housing should be up to about if not center of the dish,

7. Jul 7, 2017 #7 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Oh OK. I was doing the geometry on fingers and thought it was OK thinking that if it fell on the arm the arm would be higher. I will check that out. Look at some neighbors for reference.

Now, if I bend it back up will I have to re-align the Elevation?

8. Jul 7, 2017 #8 of 13
    Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    How Satellite TV Works

Looking at this diagram helps me.....if it correct and not just a generalzation of how the signal works. If my arm is low then the dish had to be lower to concentrate the signal on the white part (that I can't remember the name of right now. lol)

9. Jul 7, 2017 #9 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes you will have to realign in the elevation direction. I would move it just a little bit and see how much you have to change the elevation and decide how much more or less it needs to go.

10. Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Bent it up. Tried to find signal but couldn't. Moved it back down and put dish back to 37 degrees and signal came back. Was fine tuning it and it broke. I think there was metal fatigue and it was destined to break at some point. There was a ton of play in the arm.

Now to find a new arm.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Bummer.
    I could not find just the arm but here is a dish and arm.
    Directv Slimline Dish, No Azel Mount, No J Mount | eBay

12. Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Yeah, figuring that out. Mine attaches to the skew plate from the back with three screws. All the weight was right on the part of the piece that broke. The few arms I've seen have two screws on the back (where my three are) and one on each around the side. Much better strength and stability.

13. Mervis

Mervis Cool Member

May 15, 2012
    DFW Airport, TX
    Sweet. With your help and looking at parts online I figured at a minimum I'd need an arm and a corresponding skew plate.....or the whole dish like you said. The two parts w/shipping were about the same as your link. Of course with "I want it now" OCD the timing was giving me heartburn. There's sports to be watched. Went on Craigslist and one guy in S. Dallas had the parts but I really didn't want to go to S. Dallas. Another guy had the whole dish minus the LNBs for $30. I went and got it, swapped the LNBs and hung the dish in 2 hours. No adjustments or anything. Back in business.

Thanks for your help Jimmie!!!!

jimmie57 likes this.