1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Anywhere/Fire Stick app question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    One thing I cannot understand is why do I need a Hopper with internet to get Dish anywhere? Why can I just download the app on the firestick, punch in my password or Dish account number to use Dish anywhere? I like my 211k and I do not plan to change it. But why does Dish make it impossible for customers that don't want to change receivers? With any other apps on Roku or Firestick, all I need is a sub to a Dish channel, like with HBO, CNN, STARZ, EPIC, etc to get the "On Demand". Thanks.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    DishAnywhere streams programming from your Hopper including your OTA channels if enabled, similar to using the Slingbox streaming adapter and the Sling app. It is not an OTT streaming service like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Google TV, or Dish TV.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks for the info. At least I know.

4. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't have a Hopper. The DishAnywhere app on my Fire TV Stick makes tons of On Demand programs available on a big screen. What's great is some channels don't have apps for on demand and some have apps that Dish doesn't authenticate. They are all there in DishAnywhere. Without a Hopper.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Does your receiver have an internet connection? The 211K has one, but Dish never did the software for it (as far as I know)

6. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    DishAnywhere doesn't connect to my receivers. I have 211s and a 222. They have internet connected but they don't have on demand.

mwdxer likes this.
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Tonight I was successful is adding Dish Anywhere on the Fire Box. Thank you! I do get the Dish guide, but no live TV as I do not have the Hopper, but all of the On Demand channels and movies are there. Really cool! Glad I bought the Fire Box. Too bad Roku doesn't have the Dish Anywhere app. The Fire Box also has the TCM on demand stand alone channel (app) that Roku also does not have. Thank you again!!!+

8. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    You're welcome.