Dish Apartment Install without Exterior Envelope Penetration / Over WiFi?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Reaper, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I moved into an apartment several months ago. I had DirecTV service and was told by the property management company that I could have a satellite TV dish installed on the balcony, so I made sure to get a unit with line of site.

It was only when the DirecTV installer came out that I was told that they didn't allow penetrations through the exterior envelope. So, I could have a Dish installed, I just couldn't use it. :bang

I could've fought it I suppose, but the DirecTV installer clearly didn't want to do the install so I happily kissed D goodbye.

I have a pretty good solution now -- I have a Tablo OTA DVR in my balcony closet, and it's connected wirelessly to my Fire TVs. I also have the OTT services Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling TV. And Kodi. So yeah, it's a darned good low cost solution.

Dish's announcement of HopperGO has me intrigued though. Last week I accepted a job offer that will see me traveling throughout the US and Canada 35% - 85% of the time. Oftentimes, hotel "high speed" Internet WiFi is crap. Since the HopperGO will act as it's own WiFi hotspot and iOS will be supported, presumably I could travel with it and an Apple TV and have access to my favorite shows regardless (or maybe I'd need an iPad too, but I'll travel with mine anyway). I'll be making a lot more money and, being on the road that much, it may be worth the cost of Dish service to be reliably able to take my shows with me.

The DirecTV installer told me that he couldn't install a Genie in my balcony closet and wireless Genie Minis in my apartment. :bang

So, my question is: could I have a Hopper 3 installed in my balcony closet and wireless Joeys in my apartment?

2. aeontech

aeontech New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Sure, you could do that, or have the installer use flat coax connectors that are designed to allow a window or door to close on them. The wireless Joey access point plugs into the hopper so the second solution should work also. Message me and we can discuss this further.

3. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Please don't quote an entire post in a reply. Trim it down to something relative. In this instance, quoting wasn't even necessary since the reply fell directly underneath the post that was being responded to. No disrespect meant, just trying to help.