DISH Delivers ‘Smart Phone Repair' on Your Turf

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, May 3, 2016.

1. May 3, 2016 #1 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH Delivers ‘Smart Phone Repair' on Your Turf

* DISH technicians fix mobile phones at customer's location
    * Available to consumers nationwide, no TV subscription required
    * DISH offers upfront pricing, high-quality screens and batteries

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- With millions of Americans swiping across shattered smartphone screens, DISH has deployed its nationwide fleet of professional technicians, capable of reaching any U.S. home or business, to repair iPhones for consumers nationwide whether or not they are DISH customers.

Available today, "Smart Phone Repair" from DISH delivers a technician directly to a customer's door. DISH's network of skilled technicians in all 50 states will repair cracked screens and replace batteries on Apple's iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus. In the coming months, DISH intends to expand its service to include additional devices and smartphone accessories.

With transparent pricing and trusted technicians, DISH has eliminated the hassle and uncertainty of smartphone repair for consumers nationwide.

"Fixing your phone shouldn't mean losing your phone for days on end, so we come to you - whether you're at the office, the gym or even the coffee shop," said John Swieringa, executive vice president of Operations. "DISH is uniquely positioned with the technical know-how and ability to respond to a customer's needs in every state across the country."

DISH uses high-quality replacement parts from respected third parties. Repair prices are consistent across the country and offered upfront as customers explore available services on www.dish.com/smartphonerepair. Additionally, DISH offers onsite corporate events, providing a convenient solution for large-scale repairs on enterprise smartphones and employees' personal devices.

"Instead of paying $650 or more to replace a smartphone, our technicians step in to extend the life of the phone when a screen shatters or a battery loses its charge," added Swieringa.

DISH offers appointments seven days a week including same-day and next-day availability, and guarantees all repair work with a 60-day warranty. Customers reserve their onsite service with a one-time $35 "Drive to Me" travel fee that allows their technician to repair one device or many during the visit. DISH's "My Tech" online appointment tool allows smartphone repair customers to view their technician's name, photo and a countdown to their tech's arrival. Customers may even track the DISH vehicle as it travels to meet them.

2. May 3, 2016 #2 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well this should be interesting. How does that fit in with taking the techs away from installing dishes? Or is this a different set of technicians which would mean it's a misleading statement since they make it sound like its the same great installers that installer dish?

3. May 3, 2016 #3 of 18
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :grin: Oh, a new service! Dish techs repairing a smart phone in my home??? :sure:

!rolling

I can't even get them to do a proper dish installation. I wouldn't let them near my phone because i wouldn't know how to fix whatever they did.

4. May 4, 2016 #4 of 18
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This really seems like something from out of left field. Unless there is more to this story yet-to-be-announced, this by itself seems odd.

5. May 4, 2016 #5 of 18
    comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Why would you need dish to repair your phone? I am a verizon customer and have a protection plan. If my phone breaks just call verizon and get it replaced for free. This is just going to add another price increase to our monthly bill :)

6. May 4, 2016 #6 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The protection plan is not free and must be committed to within 30 days of phone purchase. It is an insurance program sold through Verizon Wireless. There is a $49 to $199 (depending on the phone damaged) deductible payable when you make the claim.

According to http://www.dish.com/smartphonerepair, DISH charges $154.98 for an iPhone 6 screen repair ($194.98 for a screen and battery repair). That is less than the deductible with no additional monthly charges in advance (betting $7+ per month that you'll need to pay a $199 deductible to replace or repair your phone). And if you didn't get the insurance it provides an option (other than waiting until you can afford a new phone).

Verizon's insurance is good if your phone is lost or stolen. $199 will get you the same model phone as a replacement. But the program is NOT FREE.

7. May 4, 2016 #7 of 18
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Plus it costs I believe $11/mo? So yeah that plus deductible is far from free.

8. May 4, 2016 #8 of 18
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The minimum cost is $7 ... the $11 "Total Protection" plan contains additional features that can be purchased separately from the insurance.

9. May 5, 2016 #9 of 18
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not even saying Dish can't do a good job of it... but on the surface, it makes about as much sense as it would for Dish to suddenly announce that their service people were also now going to deliver pizzas.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Diversification ... DISH also installs TVs and other non-satellite equipment (or at least they did).

It seems like a strange side business, but someone must think it is profitable enough to perform.

11. jep8821

jep8821 Mentor

Jun 24, 2007
    This makes no sense as it stands right now...From the story I read, Dish Repairs on phones won't be considered as being repaired by an authorized vendor... So your warranty is void if you use the program.. Why pay dish to repair your phone and void your warranty when you can Pay apple roughly the same price and have your back under warranty after the repair is done... Dish has a unique idea but they failed on how to implement it... Dish should have partnered with apple to get their service techs certified by apple. A partnership would have made a lot more sense....

12. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Oh crap. Don't give them any ideas.

1 person likes this.
  13. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    My protection plan just cost $5 dollars a month, i never had to pay $49-199 :)

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is not the offer that is on the VZW website. Even if it were $5 that isn't free.

I have been saying no to their "protection plan" for at least a decade. Prior to that I had the plan on one "feature phone" and was asked to pay a deductible when I broke the antenna on my phone. It was cheaper to upgrade my phone to a new smarter "feature" phone than accept the reconditioned replacement phone.

Insurance may be a better deal now that Verizon is no longer offering a discount for upgrading my phone. (I can get a decent discount for adding a line but even after being a VZW customer for 15+ years the best they will offer me on a replacement phone is to spread out the payments over 24 months.) They have the best coverage where I am so I do not want to switch carriers to get "a better deal".

But I digress ... not free was the point I was trying to make.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Actually, the pizza delivery option makes a lot of sense, the more I think about it :) Certainly seems on the surface more compatible... Say... order a PPV AND a pizza, and Dish delivers the pizza to you! :)

16. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Hey, I really like that idea! :hurah:

17. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    To be fair they haven't really been giving a "discount" for upgrading your phone for many years or even a "free" phone if you didn't get one of the top of the line ones. You'd get that free or discounted phone and then you'd pay a "line access fee" for $40 for the next two years which would end up paying for your phone (they didn't tell you this of course). With the new way they're just coming right out front about it and letting you know you're actually paying for the phone, more transparency at the very least I guess. You can tell this because your line access fee with their what they call "Device Payments" is either $20 or $15 depending on which data plan you have. So now technically you're paying less for the service and more for the phone where it used to be billed the other way around, either way you've been paying the full price for the phone whether they claimed you were getting a discount or a free phone or not.

18. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    Had my roof replaced recently and opted for the DPP instead of reinstalling the dish myself. I was dumbfounded when afterward, the installer suggested all this (what I thought was) "side business". And it was only for the 5s and 6s supposedly. Not for me, maybe someone else would see the value in that.