DISH - DTV compare: Why DISH?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by John Anthony, Sep 20, 2016.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    New York
    Hey all, first post here.

Bit of introduction. I'm the stereotypical millennial in terms of pay-TV: I have mobile data and a home broadband connection feeding me Netflix, Hulu, and Sling TV Blue. I've never subscribed to a traditional pay-TV package.

I just saw an ad today from AT&T offering DirecTV select bundled with Uverse "Elite" internet (6/12 mbps, which is slow but the offer applied for faster plans as well) for a flat $80/mo (before tax), guaranteed for 2 years. The breakdown of charges is as follows:
    - DTV Select $50
    - DVR fee $0
    - Uverse Elite $30
    - Wireless router fee $10
    - Bundle discount (-$10)

Today I'm paying for broadband plus I'm out $49 per month for my IPTV services ($12 for Netflix, $12 for commercial free Hulu, and $25 for Sling), so $50 for 145+ channels isn't half bad.

Being a happy Sling customer (would recommend to anyone), I was curious how DISH could compare. The direct comparison to DTV's select package appears to be America's Top 120(?). I see AT120 offered online at $55, but with a Hopper DVR the installed price - also with a two year guarantee - comes to $65 per month. If I went and bought the same AT&T internet service, I lose the bundle discount and it now costs me $40 per month (including the router). The total price with DISH and AT&T internet therefore comes to $105 per month (also before tax) - an ugly $35 premium to DTV(!), if I've done that compare fairly(?). I checked with DISH customer service and they confirmed AT120 was what I needed buy couldn't do any better on price.

Reading around a bit, I see dish has been losing subscribers recently. One article cites an analyst estimate that dish lost 330 thousand dbs subscribers in the last quarter (link below).

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/dish-q2-2016-subscriber-loss-1201819216/

Streaming / broadband ubiquity is kind of a new phenomena, and the article plus my shopping experience got me wondering how competitive DISH is today and will be given its lack of a internet service and bundled discounts.

Is anyone else seeing the same, have any thoughts? If you have DISH AT120 or other DISH package, why'd you go that route?

Cheers

2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Dish perks: Pac12 Network, Epix, but their HD is 1440 x 1080i, which is obviously HD-Lite
    Directv perks: everything else, including the best picture quality

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Does Direct TV now have the rest, like Retro, Sony Movie Channel, Pixl, etc?

4. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    DTV has Sony Movie Channel its part of the HD Extra Pack that includes MGM, Universal and HDNet Movies. They don't have RetroPlex, IndiePlex, MoviePlex and Pixl.

When you compare Dish's AT120+ you would want to compare it with DTV's Choice which is $60/mo as a new customer that is if your looking for sports in particular regional sports networks in your area. Select has no sports except what airs on local channels and channels like TBS, TNT etc. Also if you want more than 1 TV the DTV packages that are eligible for the 2 year price guarantee with an AT&T service includes 2 tvs and DVR service in the package price while Dish the DVR fee and 2nd tv is an additional cost.

1 person likes this.
  5. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I would not put much weight on the story that DISH has lost customers recently. DISH has been in a cost dispute with Tribune concerning the price they wanted to increase for the local stations they had. It affected quite a few cities where some local stations were cut off. It lasted a few months before it was finally settled a couple weeks ago.

6. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    How Much is Directv Choice regular price?

7. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    I went with Dish for the fact it cheaper, and the I don't like the HRs.

$226 with my Internet.
    For Top 250, Cinemax, Showtime,The Movie Pack.
    2 Hoppers 2 Joeys, 2 -211s.

Directv was over $250 with my Internet.
    RSN fee was $4.63, First Receiver fee $7, HD extra $5, $2 more on Choice Ultimate, $7 more on just those premium movie channels. packs

And before you start telling me about Directv giving discounts.
    Yeah I know HD extra can be free.
    But Dish gives 50% off all thier premiums for 6 months every time you go to downgrade when they are set for full price.

I pay $5 for Cinemax $5 for The Movie Pack, $7.50 for Showtime.
    And a $10 autopay credit.
    So right now I actually pay less than $200 a month for my Dish service and internet service.

Directv can't even match that for me as a new Customer, even with my Att service.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    New York
    Interesting, thanks for the detailed reply. I checked out the bigger package just out out of curiosity. This is what I see where I am (note 24 mbps internet).

AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo $50
    Less: Bundle discount (-$10)
    DirecTV Premier All Included $174
    Regional Sports Fee $3.63
    TV Discount for 24 months (-$49)
    Total Monthly Bill for first 24 months = $168.63

All of the equipment (router + 2 TVs) is free.
    Premier has HBO, STARZ, Showtime, Cinemax and some other premium stuff included.

If I go with the America's Top 250, it looks like this

AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo $50
    Plus: wireless router fee $10
    America's Top 250 (incld ePay savings) $75
    Equipment fee for 2 TVs $17
    Subtotal before premium = $152
    HBO $15
    Showtime $15
    Cinemax $10
    Starz $10
    (all of the premiums are free for first 3 months)
    Total Monthly bill for first 24 months = $202

... if i've done all of that right(?) its a lot more expensive for me to go with DISH, even if they gave me some pretty big discounts on the premiums.

Is this just local by me here in FL? Or maybe its possible AT&T has gotten more aggressive since it bought and integrated DirecTV?

9. John Anthony

John Anthony New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    New York
    Good pt, but it looks like this was a trend that started well before the blackout began
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/dish-tops-profit-expectations-despite-pay-tv-subscriber-losses-1447069159

10. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Looks correct to me.
    Actually makes me want to look at Directv again lol.
    Once my credits are gone I just may look.

11. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    D* is offering some great deals on Internet/TV deals. It would be very hard to beat those prices on an unbundled ATT Internet/Dish TV price.

Not much different than what Comcast does. Their price on Internet and basic TV costs less than stand alone Internet. My guess is they do that to boost their TV subscriber numbers so cord cutting doesn't look so bad.

12. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Are you for certain the Dtv deal is indeed for 2 years? I know in the last few years it was only for 1 year. I signed with them a couple of years ago and my bill went up 30 dollars after 12 months. But hey if you saw it for sure, then you are good to go.

1 person likes this.
  13. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Maybe I didn't read correctly, but I think $40 per month for 6/12 MBps is very high. I live in a tiny town in the boonies, and we get 50 down/5 up for $40 per month. For $50 per month that jumps up to 100 MBPs download.

My guess is you could probably get a good separate internet package and combine that with the best Dish deal for what you want and be pretty good. May be just me, but I prefer to keep my internet provider and TV provider separate, and in that way have freedom to switch one if I'm not happy without it impacting the other.

14. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Although for a different reason; I also keep Internet, phone and television separate. If one service goes down I don't want that to effect the other services.

15. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    I switched from D* to Direct a few months ago. One thing I lost was the macroblocking I constantly got on Genie recordings. I had two other DVRs that did not have the problem.
    I have no problem with my Hopper 3. I really like the sixteen tuners, which came in handy during the Olympics.
    Oh, and I am paying about $60 a month less than before.
    There are a few nits I will address on other threads.

16. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Someone is going to have to prove to me the Directv deals in the posts above are for 24 months particularly the $49 discount for TV. Virtually never have they been, but things change.

17. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    I pay $67 for 15/2 and 700GB cap.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I pay $52 here for 60/5 and no cap. Charter offers that. Not bad for a rural area.

19. sbt1

sbt1 New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I am a first time Dish customer. I subscribe to the Skinny bundles. Depending on what channels you want and whether they are in the same bundle determines if it's the better deal or not. I am VERY impressed with their customer service. I used chat all the time and have received great result. Chat with people that actually know what they are talking about and actually got my questions/problems resolved to my satisfaction. The merging of AT&T and Time Warner will create the largest customer service debacle ever. I have has nothing but problems with both their customer services. Can't say enough good things about their customer service. The service quality is also great.

20. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    The next one up for me is 60/3 and its $84.95. 800GB cap.