Dish for Boats

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ghh707, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghh707

ghh707 New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    How do I get either local channels or distant networks approved for a recreational boat similar to RV's????

2. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Have you tryed calling Dish and asking?

3. ghh707

ghh707 New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Not really but it might be worth a call....I'd think they would treat a boat the same as a Motorhome....but who knows....thanks.

4. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    How are you gonna keep the dish steady?

5. ghh707

ghh707 New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    It's a system similar to those on RV's that locks to the signal.

6. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Lots of houseboats on Lake Shasta in Northern California and other California lakes have Dish. Some have tracking dishes so that they can track while underway and others have a fixed elevation and you manually rotate the azimuth once you are anchored or beached. I think the only problem would be if you are trying to get this for a small runabout or ski boat, that might raise some eyebrows.

..Doyle

7. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I still don't get it. Waves are always making boats move. Just the wind against a land based dish can make you loose signal! It doesn't seem possible without a bigger dish to compensate for movement.

8. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    The dishes on the houseboats we rented a few years back were all standard Dish 500. We never rented the boats with the tracking dish. If someone in a big boat went by and sent a wake in against the beached boat, we might see a momentary loss of signal but typically it wasn't a problem. Bigger problem was that if you did not have the houseboat tied off properly, it would drift and then you would lose signal. Here is a link to one of the tracking hardware manufacturers.
    http://www.mssat.com/

..Doyle

9. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    OH! You are sitting on a house boat tied off, not out cruising the oceans/seas/lakes/rivers. Why not jsut rent a cabin. :slowgrin:

10. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    A few years ago I saw a website for a satellite signal reception array similar to a phased array radar setup. It was designed for RV's in motion, but I don't see any reason you couldn't put it on a boat. It cost a couple thousand bucks for the array alone, but if you can afford a big boat....

-Chris

11. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Unlike Wisconsin and Minnesota, California doesn't really have many cabins on lakes. Most of our larger waters are actually reservoirs with Dams. Shasta Lake at full pool is 940 feet deep. That said, the level of the lake can vary quite a bit. It is kind of a pain to carry everything down to a ski boat that is down 50 or 75 steps to the water at the end of the season. Much easier to be on a houseboat with your ski boats and jet skis tied up to it. The houseboats we rented all were fully air conditioned, barbeques, Sat TV, Hot tubs etc and easily slept 3 families. In the evenings, the kids take the ski boats out while the rest of us sit up on the upper deck having wine and hors doevres. The cabins that are there tend to be old and musty. The houseboats on the other hand are much better equipped. Here is a link.
    http://www.houseboats.com/2006/index.php?pid=71

..Doyle

12. slimline

slimline Legend

Oct 29, 2007
    that reminds me i lost a $400.00 meter when the d ring fell off the strap
    on a yaght.. meter is still in the detroit river..............

13. phobos512

phobos512 Mentor

Nov 20, 2007
    Now that right there is just a myth. I've personally had satellite for 4 years, 2 with D* and 2 with E*, and in upwards of 50 MPH winds here in the high desert of southern California did I ever lose signal. We were just talking about this at lunch today as a matter of fact...

14. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I agree that wind usually isn't a problem. But I have had good windstorms (40-60 MPH) that have caused intermittent signal problems. We get those a couple times a year in the spring. Depends on the direction of the wind too. Has to be at an angle, not straight on nor directly sideways. But a super dish is wide enough to grab wind. I can simply grab it and twist with my hands enough to make it drop and come back! It is not very forgiving on misalignment.

15. ghh707

ghh707 New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Looks like I created a lot of discussions.....to answer one of them I have a Carver 40' power boat with a dish antenna attached to the piling while in the Marina and I use the auto track antenna onboard when underway....I have no problems keeping auto track of the satellite but the only thing I need is to get the local channels thru distant network....similar to the RV (Motorhome ) application for use....my primary reason is to watch College Football (LSU)when unerway and at anchorage.....I am in the process of inquiring with All American Direct who provides distant networks to dish customers for RV use......I'll let you know what I come up with....thanks for all the comments.

16. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    That may be true if your signal is already a little loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.