1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish for HR20 -- easiest setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by myronnb, Aug 11, 2012.

1. myronnb

myronnb New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Newbie here regarding dish setup, etc.... so please hold back the laughter as much as possible regarding my question-- I have an HR20 that we will use at our camp every so often. Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to a dish model that will require the least troublesome setup? I have a satellite finder for homing on a signal. I had an old 18" dish we were using, but upgraded to an HD TV for the camp and want to get the HD channels, locals, etc... After reading several posts here, I do realize that fine tuning the signal will be quite a bit more challenging than the old dish. I just want to get a dish with the least amount of installation issues, etc... Thanks in advance for any information.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Get 3xLNBF KaKu slim dish combo 99/101/103W - easy to setup; find at eBay not SWM model, if you don't have a mount, buy a sturdy tripod.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  4. myronnb

myronnb New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Was checking out the one in the first link above -- I'm only running this to one HD DVR -- I will be mounting it on a mast I have already installed. Do I need to purchase anything else to install -- multiswitch, etc... or is basically everything included?

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you purchase that specific model dish in the first link with a "non-SWiM" LNB, be sure to have two B-Band Converters (BBCs).

http://www.satpro.tv/directv-b-band-converter.aspx

6. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    If the "mast you already installed" is for the old 18 inch dish - it won't fit the new Slimline. (too small)

Slimline masts are 2 inch diameter.

It is possible to obtain a conversion sleeve to slide over the old 1.625 masts.

The determination of what is the "easiest setup" for you should include consideration of the way the HR20 is setup now, before you take it out in the field. If you can match the two setups, you can avoid having to go through the lengthy satellite setup procedure every time. By matching, I mean 3 lnb vs. 5 lnb, and SWM vs. non-SWM connection.

Without this consideration, the easiest setup to both aim and hook up is probably a 3-LNB SWM Slimline dish, with its single output cable run to a power inserter, then a single cable from there to the HR20. But like I said, if this does not match the HR20's usual setup, you will have to go through a repeat of Satellite Setup to change it.

Keith

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If the HR20 is moving back and forth from home to camp to home, then you want to get the same type of LNB for your camp setup as you have at home. That way you don't need to go back through satellite setup each time you change location.

Look at your dish where the HR20 is now. We'll assume it is a Slimline.
    --If it has a single "knob" on the LNB, it is a 3 LNB
    --If it has three "knobs" on the LNB, it is a 5 LNB
    --If there is only one coax coming down from the dish, it is SWM
    --If there are four coax coming down from the dish, it is "multiswitch", BUT
    ----- you need to check where the coax go to make sure there isn't an external SWM multiswitch in use.

For your camp: Get 3 or 5 LNB as applicable, and get SWM or non-SWM as applicable.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just follow ONE simple rule: do run sat dish setup each time you're getting to new place.