1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Guy Says NO Go

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jritze, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jritze

jritze AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    He came out, pulled out his compass and said no. He explained that my trees were in the way if he were to put it anywhere on the house. I asked about putting it on a pole and he's like nope still won't work. He was here for a total of no more then 3 minutes and took off. We called Windstream back and they said a field tech would come out to verify.

It is about 100 degrees out so I'm guessing he just didn't want to do it. There was really no effort put into helping us at all so this kinda pissed me off. He actually told me to call DirecTV and try them as their satellites work better through trees. They told us that the tech would be out in 5-7 days so that was no help either. I really don't want to stick a pole in the middle of my yard but I really think it would work towards the side by our bushes but he didn't want to give me the time. :mad:

2. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Probably had a party to go to...

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is the biggest clue that the installer was blowing you off. The latest DIRECTV satellites can't withstand any kind of foliage.

That being said, what is leaves today will likely be thicker leaves and twigs this time next year. There is a device that good installers carry that allows them to sight the satellites with reasonable accuracy. Eyeballing isn't good enough.

4. jritze

jritze AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    Yea, it was hot so I understand not wanting to install, but put some effort into it. I don't care if he wanted to come back but don't be so damn lazy. We will see what happens once a tech comes out. If they say no again(im assuming from the same place) I am going to get another installer to come check for me. :nono2:

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    A Chainsaw?

I used to use one of these: http://www.gourmet-ent.com/products/sat.html

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Where are you located? Your look angle especially on the East coast could be so low for DISH that he wasn't lying about your view. Directv is looking roughly 5 degrees higher than DISH so it does sometimes work where DISH won't. DISH has a satellite at 129 that is low in most of the country and that is there HD satellite you don't say what you ordered but HDTV is very popular now.

7. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I think he's located in my house. My router is 127.0.0.1. :eek:

8. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, much of the east coast gets most of their HD off of the satellite at 61.5 which is quite high in the sky.

9. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    I dont know how true that is about the latest Directv dishes, seem fine out here ive even seen some pointed right at a tree that had no problems, E* also.

That being said, to the poster, sounds like he just didnt feel like fooling with it. I had the same thing happen when I moved My E* dish years ago to an apartment for college. I called and complained, they sent him back out and we had a signal in 5 minutes.

10. jritze

jritze AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    Alright, this won't help much but it gives you an idea.

Here is a picture from the corner of the house. He said no to anywhere on the left side and same with it being on it being on a pole right about where the red line ends at the bottom. ( The red line is what he said was south)

http://jritze.com/stuff/pics/dish.JPG

In this picture they sure as hell managed something.
    http://jritze.com/stuff/pics/house1.JPG

I'm going to get a compass and do some math. I hope I'm home when this other guy comes out.

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    You left out some important information.... where are you????? According to your "location" you are right here. :D

12. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    If you have Verizon Fiostv in your area give them a try. They have the WAY better picture quality than Dish or Directv especially on SDchannels(which are the majority of the channels anyway) and you never have to worry about OVERCOMPRESED DOWNREZED HD Lite like you do have to worry about with Dish and Directv in the future if not now.

13. jritze

jritze AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    Malcolm,NE 68402 is where I'm located. No Verizion in my area just some crappy local cable co.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If you're in Nebraska, 110, 119 and 129 are all west of south for you - right in the open area of picture #1.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    put your dish on a fence post about 4-6 feet off the ground and you should be able to shoot over the trees, depending on how far they are away. Won't get 61.5 without putting that dish on the roof, and maybe not at all, depending on that tree. I'd have to see what your settings should be, but the initial looks promising.

What kind of dish is that in picture 2 ? looks like a DBS dish of some sort...

16. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Agree with Scooper. Plant a pole where the red line is and all should be well (assuming the red line is going due south).

17. jritze

jritze AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    I'm going to find a compass tomorrow at work and I'll get a better picture thursday hopefully with more accurate "lines" That is off of what he told me so south could be out of the picture :lol: . The dish in the picture is a DishNetwork dish, I will try to get more info and pictures so you guys can help out more. Any information or questions to give/ask the guy if I see him back would be great!

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If that dish in the Picture is a Dish 500 or one of the newer ones - then that installer was blowing smoke.

19. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    DTV has better Dishes that can see through foliage. Bwahahahahahaha! Man, I thought I'd heard everything. :)

20. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Haha, if that was directed at me, not quite what i meant. I should have put seemed to be pointed right at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.