Dish hard drive

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by audiomaster, Mar 21, 2018.

1. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I need another EHD for my HWS. What drive is Dish selling on their site? Looks like a WD Elements but I can't seem to find a 2TB one that has USB 2.0 rather that 3.0 and I gather that is a problem if I upgrade later to H3??
    Suggestions?
    Thanks

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    All 3.0 drives are backwards compatible with 2.0, should be no problem.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Practically any model/mfg EHD USB enclosure with HDD will work for H/H2/H3 and usually interchangeable between the models

4. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Definitely want interchangability if I upgrade to H3 from HWS. But other posts here seem to suggest that H3 has trouble with USB3 drives? So I was looking for a USB 2 only drive so there is NO risk of losing the recordings on the hard drive if I upgrade. I already have 2 My Book AV drives full of pgms I will want to use if I upgrade.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just last week we had a long conversation with one brave girl about EHD and moving it up to new H... check her thread

6. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    You mean Spice Girl? I don't have a PC. Or computer chops like her. Just the Hopper and a very old laptop for email. And the "usually" part of your earlier post worries me.
    If I upgrade from HWS to H3 do I get to keep both active for a while so I can directly transfer recorded programs from the HWS to the H3? Do I do that with a USB connection or do I use a MOCA cable between them? Or would I have to offload everything to an external drive and then reload to the H3 assuming it will recognize it?
    Am trying to find a couple of MY Book AV drives on Ebay which I know will work with the HWS at least.
    I don't want "usually" I want "definitely" before I make a change.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, there was a post of someone who did direct transfer from old H to new H3, but both should be active on your account, that would imply to install Duo Node to support both DVRs and pay another month for old box
    from other hand, you always could use your own EHD(s) and transfer all relevant shows to it, then use with new H3
    as to "definitely" ... well it's dish FW (software) after all, you never know when it will fail on you :)
    chances are very high it will works OK

8. Spice Girl

Spice Girl Member

Jan 18, 2018
    That was me. Purchased an inexpensive computer which had Linux Mint installed copied the files from the 3.0 USB drive the 2.0 drive that I am using now.

The 3.0 drive was not being recognized by the Hopper. I have Hopper 2. That maybe why the hard drive became unrecognized. Hopper 3 might not have the USB 3.0 recognition problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018