Dish "HD Free For Life" is back...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by NYDutch, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 6, 2014 #1 of 17
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    If you're a Dish subscriber and do not already have grandfathered "HD Free For Life" (HDFFL), Dish is again offering it to account holders using autopay and paperless billing. If you currently have the "HD Free For 24 Months" bonus, your account will be automatically converted to HDFFL. You do NOT need to be under contract to get HDFFL, Pay-As-You-Go customers with purchased equipment are also eligible. It took about 4-5 minutes in a CSR chat session to get my account upgraded this morning.

2. Nov 6, 2014 #2 of 17
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Good to know. I'm still grandfathered... but it's nice if this is coming back again permanently.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #3 of 17
    NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    At this point, I think they should just make it standard for all accounts, since most new accounts are getting HD equipment anyway. Those that still have SD gear would just fall back to the SD channels, just as the HD receivers do now if the HD feed drops due to weather, etc.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #4 of 17
    Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Great! One of my friends as been waiting for this.

5. Nov 9, 2014 #5 of 17
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Got it on my account now, via call to 800-333-DISH

Edited to corrrect

6. Nov 9, 2014 #6 of 17
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Umm, isn't it 800-333-DISH?

7. Nov 9, 2014 #7 of 17
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    OOPS - you're correct :)

8. Nov 9, 2014 #8 of 17
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    But you don't need to call. I checked my account yesterday and it now read HD Free for Life.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

9. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Does Dish have to do any equipment upgrades in regards to this upgrade?

I know of some people that have Dish, but they don't have HD TVs, still the old CRT TVs (I think one of them is even an old floor console TV). They have talked about getting a new TV and of course any new TV they get now will be a flat screen with HD. They might be interested in just signing up for free HD for life, just so it's on their account. Then if they ever get a new TV they would have HD (they would have to get new Dish equipment at that time) free for life.

Is that how this works?

The Dish receiver they have now, while I can't be sure, but I don't think it supports HD. If they sign up for free HD for life now, does Dish send them new HD equipment? Or do they just flag their account as being able to upgrade to HD for free, whenever they upgrade to HD equipment?

Is autopay and paperless billing really a requirement for this?

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    As I understand it, autopay and paperless billing are a requirement. Since it is essentially a $10/month discount if you have HD and also accept those terms, I don't find that objectionable at all.

But if you don't want to have autopay and paperless, be prepared to spend $10/month ($120/year) as the penalty for not doing so. :)

From reading it appears that all that are now on HD will get the HD Free for Life if they meet the other requirements. And new or upgraded customers will get it too if they accept those terms.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

11. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I'm not sure how much the autopay and paperless billing will be an obstacle. I agree with you, it's not that much of an issue to me. I'm just kind of the technology go-between guy for a lot of people. I knew it would be a question that would be asked, so that's why I wanted to clarify on it.

So if they don't have HD equipment, Dish will send someone out to install new HD equipment? I'm assuming that Dish's equipment has composite outputs for TVs that don't have HDMI ports or even a coax out. Some of the TVs may not even have composite inputs, I guess an RF modulator could be used for those if needed. (I'm more of a DirecTV guy, not really familiar with Dish's equipment).

Does this extend the Dish's customers contract? 1 year? 2 years? I know this would be another question that would be asked.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    In general an upgrade of equipment will invoke a 2 year agreement. The good part is that changes the ETF to $10/month vice the $20/month as part of the Dish'n it Up program.

I would think that a truck roll would be needed as some of the older SD accounts most likely won't have the proper dish/lnb setup.

Cost could be from free to some other figure depending on the individual account.

All pretty similar to the DirecTV does it too.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

13. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    My account does show it is now HD fro Life instead of HD free for 24 months.

Now, if I could get the Superstations back, it would be as if I never left DISH.

14. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    does this apply to flex pay accounts to for rvr's :scratch:

15. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes, with the same paperless/autopay requirement. I have a Pay-As-You-Go (FLEX) account that I originally set up just for my RV, although I also use it for our base cottage now.

1 person likes this.
  16. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Just letting yall know I have received this deal without cc autopay. I had left dish for about a year and when I returned I was told that I would have to sign up for cc autopay to get hd free for 24 months. I declined and asked for a paper bill. When the bills started coming it was showing the credit anyways and a couple of weeks ago I received an email stating that I had been switched to free HD for life. I had it grandfathered on my account before but have a new account number now so I don't know what happened but I am not complaining.

17. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Confirming, it's not a requirement. I received a postcard in the mail with the information.

About time Dish started treating a HD signal like a color signal. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.