1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish HD is not High Definition

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by algiea, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 4, 2010 #1 of 28
    algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    It is highly compressed and a great deal of the resolution is lost.

2. Mar 4, 2010 #2 of 28
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Welcome!

BTW, we know.

3. Mar 4, 2010 #3 of 28
    algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Then Dishes advertising is fraudulent.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #4 of 28
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Both D* and E* stretch the truth.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #5 of 28
    algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Sounds like a perfect class action to me.

Its like selling 45 octane gas for 85 octane.

Real HD is beautiful. At best what we get is BIG SD.

6. Mar 5, 2010 #6 of 28
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It's not that big of a difference really. Watch out calling for class actions around here, I think it's frowned upon. Plus, E* already has enough settling to do with Tivo I think.

Enjoy the forums, and again, welcome.

7. Mar 5, 2010 #7 of 28
    Nonno

Nonno Cool Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I don't know, maybe I'm not seeing things the experts see but I think Dish HD is very good. Now if you said Comcast HD, well yes, you can see it's compressed. I'm very satisfied with the quality of Dish's HD.

8. Mar 5, 2010 #8 of 28
    algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Sorry to disagree, it is lousy.

I don't understand why political politeness trumps talking about fraud.

If you bought anything, but got only 1/4 of what you thought your purchased, what would you do? What if you found out everyone was getting 1/4 of what they purchased.

If they advertised that they supplied 1920 x 1080, but with the resolution of SD, then they would be truthful. But they don't. Its not a stretch--its a lie

9. Mar 5, 2010 #9 of 28
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It doesn't. But this isn't some soapbox for you to climb upon and call for a class action lawsuit on your third post to the forums.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your service, but I can't give you too much sympathy. There is so much information and reviews about everything you could ever want to know online, you could have done more homework before getting locked into 2 years of service.

Truth, stretch, or outright lie, the way D* and E* go at each other with all their features that one offers over the other and how some of E* is HD "half the time", that should raise a flag to do some deeper research.

I don't recommend buying or signing up for anything that is expensive or long term before reading as much about it as you can find online.

10. algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    I believed what they advertised, and was mislead

You must work for Dish.

I am outta here.

11. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    What part of the HD spec do they not follow?

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    There is no truth in advertising anymore.

No, I don't work for dish or D*.

See ya.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have a bad feeling about this thread...

To be truthful, we aren't likely to ever see "true" HD ever in a broadcast medium. The bitrates on uncompressed HD resolution would be unreal!

Dish doesn't do it... DirecTV doesn't... Cable doesn't... neither does FIOS or OTA... and even Blu-ray isn't giving you uncompressed video in HD resolution!

Unless you are filming it yourself with one of those hollywood mega-expensive cameras... you aren't likely to ever see uncompressed HD,

You could see better than HD resolution, though, if you go to a movie theater and watch a film that was shot on 35/70 mm film and shown on a film projector!

Or of course, looking out your window at real life is the best possible uncompressed resolution AND it is completely wireless transmission! :)

14. algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    The do output the horizontal pixel count and the number of lines as HD, but the content is highly compressed removing detail picture information.

The format is HD, but the content is so highly compressed, the fine picture detail is lost making it look like Big SD

15. algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Bad feeling or not, the fact remains that Dish HD is lousy. Other compressed mediums which allow higher bit rate looks better.

I am NOT advocating full res HD at 1.5 gbs for these channels, but Blu Ray, broadcast do deliver higher bit rate Hd and they looks pretty decent.

It would seem you'should be defending the user experience, rather than Dishes choice to diminish resolution but sell it as HD

How on earth can you defend your position?

16. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    So it does meet HD standards, just not to your liking which means there is no false advertising. Seems like you are the one making false statements :)

BTW, I thought you said you were outta here? Another false statement? ;)

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Dish HD is adequate HD when I compare it to cable and DirecTV, and OTA. When you compare it to Blu Ray you are comparing it to something that is not being achieved by any TV channel available to the general public. But to say Dish HD is not High Definition is just silly.

18. algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Pearls to swine

19. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, that is a great way to describe all our replies.

20. algiea

algiea Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Hoink Hoink is a better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.