Dish Help! Don't know what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by GSS, Sep 14, 2021.

1. GSS

GSS New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Hello all. My mothers dish quit working. Said she heard a pop in the house but dish was still working but thinks she lost hd channels immediately afterwards. The next morning, she lost everything, no signal.

Well, I had hit her satellite dish in the past with the mower, spinning the dish on the pole. I realigned it using the receive setup to get the best signal.

Well, after her hearing a pop, nothing I did would get a signal, so, I ordered a new satellite and LNB setup thinking the LNBs may have gone bad. I installed the new satellite but still no signal while attempting to realign. Receiver just said signal loss. Going thru the receiver menu, to installation setup, we could not get any signal buzz at all.

I took her receiver to my house and connected it, it works but do not get a lot of channels, I'm guessing it is not set up quite right with transponders or something?

Anyway, after reading, I think there may be a switch somewhere that may be bad?

She has 1 cable coming from the dish going to a single receiver. The old LNB cluster had (4) coax connectors with (1) cable connected to the far right coax connector. The new satellite that I installed only has (3) connectors. Two to the left and one way to the right. Both old and new LNB clusters say DishPlus? I set the angles up by my zip and like the old dish. I do not have a meter for satellite strength.

I am assuming a switch is required so the single receiver can switch between the (3) LNB's? The receiver is a VIP211z? This may have been the original problem. I did not see a switch inside the house so, it may be inside the attic. My father installed all of this stuff many years ago and passed a few years ago.

Does anyone know where I can get exact step by step instructions on setting this up? Or, can someone walk me thru this? We live out in the sticks, my mother is not the least bit interested in letting anyone inside her house to do work, not even on the property if she had her way. I am a mechanical and electrical type person but do not know crap about LNB's, satellites, receivers and the like.

Sure would appreciate any help I could get with this. My mother has been without a TV for a few weeks, I'm feeling guilty.

Thank you for your time.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Please post photos of the new and old LNB's so we can be sure you have the correct one. Facing the ports on the LNB, there should be nothing connected to the far right port for a single dish setup. The coax to the VIP211z should be connected to either of the left ports. The satellite switching is done within the DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNB. Once everything is connected except the VIP211z, run a "Check Switch" routine from the diagnostics menu to clear the satellite settings from the old setup. Then connect the coax and run the routine again. If it finds any satellites at all, that will give you an indication of where the dish needs to dialed in to get all of them. Let us know what you see on the diagnostics screen after the second Check Switch completes so we can provide more guidance.

3. GSS

GSS New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    NYDutch, thank you for the reply. I will do as you suggested and get back with you.

As far as the LNB's, the original had (3) LNB's and (4) coax connectors, if facing the connectors, the far left said "in" and that is where the cable was connected going inside to the receiver. The new dish that I just purchased has (3) LNB's with only (3) coax connectors, two the the extreme right and (1) marked "in" to the far left. I connected to the far left. I tried to upload a pic of the original, if you can see it.

Thank you for the info in the switch, I was hoping it switched internally. I did not want to get in the attic looking for an external switch.

I will take the receiver to her house, connect the receiver and run a Check Switch to clear it and go from there.

Is there a need to purchase a meter or does the receiver work just as good for getting the signal strength?

I will repost as soon as I can get to her house and get the info.

Thank you again for your time!

Attached Files:

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the "pop" was heard inside the house, it wouldn't be my first reaction to look at the LNB.

Given that there's a single cable coming off of the dish, there is no intermediate switchgear -- it is all in the LNB assembly. It is possible that something arced in the receiver and it took out the LNB but I think it more likely that the receiver is no longer powering the dish (unless you also have just a lone receiver setup).

It is probably time to call DISH. If they want to do a service call, consider signing your mother up for the service plan for a few months to defray any costs.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Or spent some time for reading here, we have a ton of installation info.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Time that would most likely be wasted as something has pretty clearly given up its blue smoke genie.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Yes - getting the service plan for 6 months would more than likely pay for itself (I think 6 months is the minimum term now).

8. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    I would see why you don’t get all the channels when connected to your dish first. Maybe you need to run a check switch?

But start there to get a good known setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Only 18volts max? (IIRC) go thru the cable, so a pop sound doesnt seem related to the satelite, since 18v's isnt much. Since the reciever works at your house, obviously not the receiver (well maybe not obvious). Issue w/ the missing channels at your house might be due to a different LNB setup u have vs she has, so u would need to run check switch at your house to confirm it gets all its required channels. I too would not think LNB either, i would lean towards a cable issue.

Get a new cable, connect it to the new dish/or old dish if u wanna put the old dish back up, connect new cable to receiver an run a check switch to see it see's anything. not sure how far away the pole mount is from the house but would def. be easier the closer to it u can get the receiver along w/ a lil tv u can use to view signal strength. Since dish is already out of alinement you'll need to hunt for the birds anyway. U could get an inexpensive meter but u likley wont know what bird it's seeing since only the expensive meters will tell you that info.

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The port on the lnb labeled "in" is to connect a side dish to the internal switch on the lnb. connect the cable to the 211Z to port 1 on the lnb.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You've never tested a 9V battery with your tongue, have you?

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    and make some damages to your brain in your young years :p