Dish Hopper forced recordings?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Tiki God, May 18, 2019.

1. Tiki God

Tiki God New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Just noticed my DVR is recording American Idol. I don't watch American Idol but my my DVR is nonetheless recording it and it won't let me stop the recording. It's already recording via the primetime station recording, but this is separate. Anyone else experience this?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it was invented long time ago … FVOD: forced VOD
    you'll decide later if it's interesting for you or not
    usually there is special "portion" of HDD reserved for FVOD movies and events; you can find some technical info from my past posts about segmentation (quotas) of H's internal HDD

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    FVOD is something different.

There was a time where DISH was adding timer events to their DVRs to record promotional material during the overnight hours (such as Christmas greetings from Charlie) but I have not seen them use that feature in years. When used, the recording would show that the content was recorded from a particular channel at a particular time. FVOD is more of a file transfer, not showing up in the normal DVR listings (either as a recorded program or a timer event). FVOD recorded content shows up on channel 1 and/or 501, or in the OnDemand listings when searching for content. It could be considered "pre-downloaded on demand content" although it is downloaded via satellite.

FVOD does not explain why a program would be recorded from a local station as if it were a regular timer. Tiki's question is a good start: Has anyone else experienced this?

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    No!

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Can't think of any explanation except a PTAT recording.

Michael P likes this.
  6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Is it showing up in your timers list?

Michael P likes this.
  7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I get this every so often to this day and have for years and years. Most times it's to promote a tv show or channel. The special show that was on several channels about the Earth/animals recently had a promotional download. The RFD channels had one not too long ago. Short clips from the Studio channel. One of the last disputes had a forced download explaining it. American Idol had a forced download 5 minute promotion downloaded overnight I didn't watch it but think it was to promote the final.

Note that every instance shows in the to do list before recording it, if I delete it from there it does not record.

Last edited: May 23, 2019