Dish installation in the rain?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Antoneo, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoneo

Antoneo Cool Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I have a Dish (model 500) installation on Dec. the 24th, and the weather forecast for that day will be rain. Will an installation during the rain have any possible trouble brewing up in the future (ie corrosion, if water gets sealed in during the wire connection) ? Think it's worth a reschedule?

Also, I have a wire that leads from the television from to the roof antenna. I think a splitter box outside splits the signal to both the first and second floors. Is there a high probability that the Dish installer with reuse that same wire? I'd rather not have any more new drillings into the house.

2. PSB

PSB New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Its no fun installing in the rain, if its really "stoatin" off the streets then you or the installer should call it off, its not fair to you or him and the quality of install will not be as good, light rain is a pain and nothing else, installers are used to it or they would be doing something else, it will also take a bit longer on a rainy day, could be worse I had to wade through a 4' snow drift and then I had to dig my way up a roof then I skied all the way down! (true) As for the cable, you cant use any splitters between the dish and the receiver, at worst the cable can be replaced through the same hole! Good Luck!

3. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    If you are worried about wire corrosion make sure they put boots on all the wires outside of your house. All of our installers install these and since we made it policy to do this we've seen a signifigant drop in the number of service calls. If the installer doesnt have any run to home depot and piuck some up they're fairly inexpensive and really help keep water out of the lines

4. wdowns

wdowns AllStar

Sep 11, 2003
    If it is DNSC doing the work make them come anyway. (Pay back for all those of us who never received a phone call saying they were not showing up or reschedule many times). If it is your local retailer coordinate with them as it will be better for both of you. You do not want a soaking wet installer running in/out of your house before Christmas tracking in mud, do you?

5. Antoneo

Antoneo Cool Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Well, it's the free installation deal offered by Dish Network and not from a local retailer so I guess it would be DNSC. My neighbor installed a Dish 500 a month back, I believe by DNSC installer, and he had them come back again to fix it up. Lots of drilling and hammering the second time around as well ::cringe::.
    Good idea about those wire boots, ayalbaram. I'll have to stop by Home Depot soon.

Well, from weather.com "Precip: 80 %" that day in the morning. I originally had an appointment for the 23rd which would be a nice day, but because I changed the order to only an 811 (from 811+301), they had to reschedule. Arg.
    I guess I'll just wait it out a bit and see if the weather forecast changes, I can wait a few more days, I've been waiting nearly three months for the 811 anyway.

6. Jarrett76

Jarrett76 Legend

Nov 5, 2003
    It was raining the day mine was installed. The installer wore a heavy-duty poncho, and did not mind it at all.

7. wdowns

wdowns AllStar

Sep 11, 2003
    Hopefully they will bring an 811 with them. I've had (3) DNSC reschedules and the last one they didn't even call to say they were not showing. Bottom line is that I had to go another route to get an 811 but my 6000 is still running strong so that is not an issue. Now compound the problem that people are saying the 811 is back-ordered plus all the DHP people trying to get the receiver should make for an interesting install. If your neighbor had a bad install you need to be with them and make sure they do it right. Problems I've heard range from loose mountings, loose bolts, too many drill holes, set up a leave without explaining. Make sure you follow up with their work. Good Luck.

8. Antoneo

Antoneo Cool Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Hrmm, I'm in NYC and when I ordered from Dish Network, I asked the CSR is there were any reports of 811 shortages. She hesitated and stammered, but said, "Yes but not in your area." Whatever that means... and my neighbor was with the installers that whole morning, watching them every step of the way. I don't think he went up on the roof though. Btw, how long do these installs take? It took my neighbor about 4 hours... and then he had to repeat it for another 2 and a half.

wdowns, you brought up a good point about the mud tracking that will ensue once I let the installers in. I'm praying to the rain gods to reschedule their plans to Christmas wmahaha ;).

9. James

James AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    A good installer will take there shoes off at the door or put protective booties over there shoes. If they dont, tell them to! They are working for you, not the other way around. DO NOT RESCEDULE, HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE! WORKING IN THE RAIN IS PART OF THE JOB. Just my 2 cents.

10. wdowns

wdowns AllStar

Sep 11, 2003
    Depending on what is required the install should take less than 3hrs if it is basic. If SuperDish is involved it could take longer. If you are hooking up your 811 to an HDTV make sure you know what inputs you want to use. If you have a system I would wire it myself while the installer is doing his paper work. When your done then he can go through the setup of the receiver. All the cables you need for the 811 are included (no optical). The 301 is very basic and does not take long. There are some factory defaults in the 811 that need to be changed ie from 720 to 1080. A friend of mine thought his picture was great until I changed it to 1080. The installer had never seen an 811 before.

As mentioned before DO NOT ACCEPT SUBSTANDARD WORK. The time an effort spent now will prevent future re-visits and cause you less frustration.

11. Antoneo

Antoneo Cool Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for the advice guys, I've called up Dish to see when the next available install date, and they said Sunday which was too long of a wait. Wednesday it is, and I hope those guys show up.

To continue my string of questions in this thread, is the work done by DNSC installers covered by a warranty? Rain is now almost guaranteed that morning for my location and was wondering should any problems arise from the wiring or dish mounting, will I have to pay for repairs/rewiring?

12. James

James AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    I think you have a 90 day installation warranty. unless you buy more. and no, you will not have problems with it just because it is installed in the rain.

13. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Antoneo, don't worry about the rain ruining your dish during installation. Believe me, your dish will endure MUCH worse weather with little or no problems. The only problem you may have is that the installer may not want to perform the installation in certain conditions, for the sake of his own safety.

When it came time for my Dish 500 to be installed a few years ago, there was a light rain and the installer called off the whole procedure, saying it was too dangerous to climb my two-story hi-ranch. However, I lucked out because the guy came first thing the next day and installed it, and he even threw in a complimentary dish cover for the inconvenience.

In other words, your luck will vary on the installer performing the job.

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I do installs and service calls in the pouring rain if I have to. Sometimes it just starts raining while I am doing the install or service call and I have to finish my job, cant leave the site without finishing my job even in flooding rains. When it comes to the SuperDish and the weaker 105/121 signals I would be less likely to install it in the rain since the signal may get knocked out sooner making it hard to install it without a good enough signal. On a Dish 500 I have still gotten 90%+ in the pouring rain for 110/119.

15. Antoneo

Antoneo Cool Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Dish guys came and installed in the rain, HDTV with 811 is fantastic. Will come back to post some more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.