1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish locals I am missing one

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dough_boy747, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 #1 of 17
    dough_boy747

dough_boy747 Mentor

Jun 18, 2004
    Panther WV
    I would like to know why the FCC will not let people on DISH network to have locals channels from a nearby area, i can't my local ABC WOAY tv Becley WV why can't we get one from the cloeses one to us like Charleston or nothing alse a nearby state like Va. this is onfair to pay the same price as if we get this channel or not, IF nothing ales we should get a discount for not have the station on our programming guide.:hurah:

2. Apr 7, 2011 #2 of 17
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Write your congressman to change the law. DISH already tried violating the rules and lost the ability to provide distant networks.

3. Apr 7, 2011 #3 of 17
    dough_boy747

dough_boy747 Mentor

Jun 18, 2004
    Panther WV
    Thanks alot i will try that then

4. Apr 9, 2011 #4 of 17
    jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Here's the argument for those laws: The TV stations in your market want you to watch network programing on their station and not another station because they want you to see their local commercials that they insert into the national programming. More eyes viewing those local commercials=more $$$ for the local station.

The real reason: They don't want more competition for their news programming, where they make most of their ad revenue.

5. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    I'm waiting for the law that would force me to only buy my groceries from the crummy little store near my house rather then being able to drive 25 miles to a bigger market with better prices and selection. I suppose the government could give us an ID card that would authorize us to shop in our local stores only.

I mean, if the government can protect local TV stations from unfair out of market competition, why not the local Great American Grocery - or the local hardware store? Seems only logical to me.

6. flatus

flatus Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    and USA Today should be illegal. Local newspapers only.
    Dont get me started about national geographic, either.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Or Wal Mart

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Are you saying that you get NO ABC station from E*? They do give discounts if they can't give you a full set of locals. The station you mention WOAY, are they in a dispute with E* or not considered a part of your local DMA?

E* IS allowed to import a "distant" network affiliate if that network is missing from your DMA.

9. dough_boy747

dough_boy747 Mentor

Jun 18, 2004
    Panther WV
    this sounds about right, wonder how long with they call this the LAND OF THE FREE free waht, for the companys to dictate wha ever market or what ever progrmmers want us to see, the the goverment says how hight they can charge us for gas and other things. this is geting to be the land of Russia or soulds like something closer to what they want for us then what we want. Thank all, you all have helped alot.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    OK ... in this mythical "land of the free" of which you speak look at the thing you do and see if you would like it if the government stepped in and took that away from you. Say you owned a television network ... and you distributed your programs in a way that kept your business profitable. Would you like it if the government stepped in and took away your freedom, forcing you to distribute your programs in a less profitable way?

There is a balance. Businesses and people are regulated by the government for the good of all of the people. Different people have different ideas of what is good. It seems that everyone wants someone else's freedoms taken away but not their own. Finding the balance is important.

11. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I hate defending the Distants law, but I have to add something you all are forgetting. There is a reason beyond the $$ the locals get from commercials. They are protected in getting your viewership because they give their signal for free. On their side of it, do you have any idea the cost to run a TV station? So in return they have an area carved out that only they can serve.

Now, as I have pointed out in other posts, this begins to fall apart when they start demanding money to be carried on Dish, Direct or Cable. The $6 we pay for ALL the local channels is nothing really. It appears to basically cover the cost to Dish to provide them. If you can not get them over the air, then it's a great deal.
    But if the locals want to charge Dish to allow the locals to make money (by reaching way more viewers) then the Distant agreement to me should go out the door.
    Then there is one more thing that to me should end the Distants laws. You no longer can get a distant even if you are in an area that can not get the local signal from an antenna, if your provider carries that local. The whole premise was based on being able to get the signal for free as I explained above. If you can not, the fact the your provider carries it should have no affect. I believe Dish would be carrying Distants HD themselves once AAD stopped, if not for that law. The cost to carry them and administer them probably is too much, when they could only really offer them to RV'rs.

12. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    I don't call watching, or having to skip through ads free. I would much rather pay and have NO ads. It is no wonder that Netflix is such a success. Unfortunately internet AND TV are carried by the cable companies, and they are beginning to cap usage. The only real hope out of this mess is wireless. I understand that satellite internet works really well for movie streaming.

13. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

It maybe possible to receive it over the air?.I can't get another city's channels through Dish Network,but I actually can get them with an OTA antenna and they showup in my Dish Network guide on my 722k/wMT2(dual OTA tuner).hurah!.:hurah:;)

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    You still haven't answered the basic question, are you missing an ABC station in your current locals? If not what they give you is what you are supposed to get.

If you can get this WOAY OTA then you have a right to watch it - OTA. I get 2 Youngstown stations virtually 24/7 via my 622's OTA tuner and E* provides the guide data. My Cleveland locals come in via sat and OTA. If WOAY is not from your DMA and you do get an ABC from somewhere else, getting it OTA is the only way you will be able to watch that channel. If E* is not providing you with an ABC station you should be getting a discount. The WOAY signal on the satellite may not reach your location because locals are transmitted on "spot beams" which are focused on a specific geographic area. If you are outside the spot that carries WOAY there is no technical way for you to receive WOAY even if Congress, the President and the head of ABC signs a letter allowing you to get that channel.

15. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I agree, but I don't think there is a balance. I can understand if the Baltimore Fox affiliate wouldn't like if Dish carried the same Fox programming on the York, PA Fox affiliate. However, my local cable company is allowed to carry both stations; why is there a double standard?

My solution: Allow Dish & other TV providers to carry any stations that they want to carry, but they must provide the network & syndicated programming only from the station in your local market. If there isn't a network local provided by Dish in your market (even if it is because of a retransmission agreement), they should be able to provide the next closest station to your area. That will keep the retransmission rates down for Dish, allow the locals to keep viewership during network & syndicated programming and give the consumers more programming choices.

I'm sure the technology can handle this. I know Dish already makes some programs available on TV Japan but not others.

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    What you describe is precisely what is allowed today (thanks to E* carrying all 210 markets). The problem is the only out-of-market stations E* is allowed to import are the missing networks. If your DMA has a local station for all 4 major networks, PBS and the "netlets" (CW, ION, MY) no outside stations can be imported, even if the local cable system does carry those outside stations.

There are technical, as well as legal reasons why this is so. I spelled out the technical reason in my previous post above (i.e. spot beams). Spot beams are the only way for E* to carry all 210 markets. Your local cable system only needs to provide one at the least and two at the most local network stations. That's a lot less than what E* has to provide.

The legal reasons have a history attached. Basically there was an injunction against E* carrying any distant station due to infractions (many caused by the subscribers lying about their true location). the injunction was lifted only after E* agreed to carry all 210 markets. Keep in mind the smallest of these markets may not make any money for E* since they are less populous areas. The same satellite capacity could have been used for larger populations.

Bottom line, be happy you can get (or should get, since the OP has yet to answer my question about his ability to get any ABC station via E*) a full set of broadcast network stations no matter where you live in the CONUS.

BTW: TV Japan is not a good comparison as anybody can get the full network if they pay $25/mo. The "free TVJ" are not free due to syndex issues (SYNDEX is what you described, it's practiced by cable systems that carry OOM stations).

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I agree. A good balance would be to have laws that applied equally to cable and satellite. Because of the difference in laws there are local channels that cable is required to deliver that satellite is prohibited from delivering. It is getting better - we're not there yet.

Messy - and it doesn't fix one of the core complaints of people who have network stations but simply want different ones: local stations that are not run "properly". People who want a competitive station because their local is disrupting the network programming with local programming or pre-school closings or aggressive weather coverage.

My solution remains requiring satellite and cable operators (both) to offer carriage to any station who is supposed to be serving that viewer OTA. The FCC has service contours that are use to protect OTA network stations from satellite competition - use them as the minimum carriage maps ... extended to fill the entire DMA a station is in and any other areas needed to provide full network coverage from the nearest station.

The second part is to get rid of paid retrans consent, but that isn't going to happen so I'm not going to waste much time on the idea.