1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish location

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Smitty5511, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. May 7, 2017 #1 of 13
    Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I have Directv standard and would like HD. But, I'm having some problems getting it. I scheduled an update appointment and they came but it didn't work out. Because of so many trees, he was going to have to put the new dish right next to my concrete walk and then run cables to my house and up the brick wall. He told me the dish I have would work with HD but it would need someone to work on it first but the company he works for will not allow them on the roof. He said there were too many trees in the back and everywhere else except right in an "eyesore" spot. He told me "I would need to find a independent contractor" to get on the roof and adjust the dish to HD and then install the receivers. I just told him to forget it if it was going to be that big of a pain so I canceled the order. It just isn't worth all of that especially having my front yard cluttered up and trying to find an independent contractor to do it for me. So, my question is would Dish have the same problem? I know they can't get on the roof but would they send someone that could since I would be a new customer or would they possibly be able to point their dish in a different direction? I've checked their packages and the channels I watch all come in HD. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get HD?

2. May 7, 2017 #2 of 13
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Where are you located?

3. May 7, 2017 #3 of 13
    Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I'm in the Atlanta suburbs but surrounded by trees.

4. May 7, 2017 #4 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    DirecTV techs are under strict rules to not go on the roofs.
    A local contractor probably has the required safety equipment to allow them to go on the roof. They would be your best bet.

The dish the tech talked about would be on a pole and the wires would be in the ground in a PVC pipe.

5. May 8, 2017 #5 of 13
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    If you have a smartphone, there are several apps that will show you exactly where the satellites are in the sky from wherever you're standing. The Dish eastern arc satellites are located quite differently than the DTV or Dish western arc satellites. For Atlanta, the locals on Dish are available in HD on either arc. Also, the Dish eastern arc sats are located about 7 degrees higher in the sky than the DTV satellites, if that helps for aiming.

6. May 8, 2017 #6 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    dish broadcast HD from 129W WA; does your DMA serving by WA or EA ?

7. May 8, 2017 #7 of 13
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Not likely to be in PVC. A sweep on each end but thats it.

8. May 8, 2017 #8 of 13
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Post before yours shows Atlanta on both arcs, Eastern Arc would be higher than 129 making it possible.

9. May 8, 2017 #9 of 13
    Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I talked with Directv and Dish today. Directv wouldn't even give me a name of an independent contractor and I can't believe they don't know a name. They just don't want anyone pointing a finger at them about anything. I also called Dish and they told me they could get on the roof and they had never heard of why Directv doesn't do it. I find that hard to believe. He said they would get on the roof but I don't know because he was trying to make a sale. He also was telling me I would get HD for life but a friend of mine says it comes with it and not to let them charge me for it. Right now, I'm getting ready to cancel Directv but I want to make sure I can get Dish first. I've had people tell me that the quality isn't as good with Dish but then again, I've had them tell me they like it so I guess it's according to who you talk to. I finally found an independent contractor but they will charge me for the installation and if Directv had done it, it would be free. Plus, I have to get Diretv to send the equipment to me so I figure they would charge me for that too. It looks like a "no win" situation. It just doesn't seem like they are treating their customers right. They are the ones that threw the dishes on our roofs and now they are turning their backs on us. It's not right! Dish is looking better and better!!!!!

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I see DirecTV AND Dish Network dishes on roofs everywhere.

11. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    I see TV antennas on the roofs also, but that doesn't tell you when they were installed. OSHA has had their say in installer safety.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I see a lot of edge installations where the dish can be reached from a ladder on the ground. The installations I see where the dish cannot be reached from a ladder are older dishes (faded logos and older styles that may not even be in use). I am in a rural area so there are plenty of ground mounted dishes.

Follow OSHA requirements and one can still do an install on a roof. The national chain installers don't want to bother with those installs. It is easier to mark the order "NLOS" and walk (if not run) to the next paying job than to spend time on a difficult installation.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that would be sh!tty [dis]service by DTV :(

Smitty5511 likes this.