Dish MLB Extra Innings vs. MLB.TV(Amazon)?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cmalberto, Mar 23, 2019.

1. cmalberto

cmalberto AllStar

Jun 15, 2007
    So I was wonder what are the differences between two services like Dish's MLB Extra Innings compared to Amazon's MLB.TV app - I guess my question really is around black-outs? if they exist on these services. I live about 80 miles east of Houston and wish to watch the Astros. I know on Dish, it seems everything is blacked out unless they play on ESPN or FOX or the like. I am leaning towards wanting the DISH service for its convenience at home and with my mobile RV setup.

Has Dish announced pricing for MLB Extra Innings - I haven't found that on its website. MLB at Bat is running short of 120 per year.

Thanks in advance...
    --Mickey

2. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Texas (the whole state) appears to be claimed by the Rangers and the Astros.
    You are expected to watch those teams via your RSN or local channels.

MLB EI is $178 for the year.

Astros and Rangers games will be blacked out on MLB EI including the visiting team's broadcast.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Which is strange, since I think only Houston and the surrounding area has access to Astros' games on RSN channels, yet where I live there is no way to watch any Astros games except those on ESPN or FOX. We are blacked out because of channels to which we have no access.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If I understand correctly, AT&T SportsNet Southwest owns the rights to Astros games in market.
    Their exclusive carriage rights apply whether or not AT&T allows DISH to carry the channel.

(I believe people in the Houston area are also missing out.)

5. cmalberto

cmalberto AllStar

Jun 15, 2007
    You are correct on the RSN carriage rights. ATT SportsNet is the only way to watch. And that network is only on Direct and Fubo(just added a few months ago). I had Fubo for a month or so but decided to go back to Dish for logistical reasons. Can't justify 45 per month just for the Rockets and Stros. I was hoping I could do a short term monthly solution. Oh well...I would have tried.

6. dstorm

dstorm AllStar

Mar 25, 2008
    Correct - to original question it doesn't matter which service you use or which carrier you purchase from - all the MLB blackout rules will be the same. Also worth noting that when you purchase Extra Innings it comes with a MLB.TV subscription.

I am curious when this will be available from Dish this year - currently on the website it says to "check back in March" and I can't currently order. Games start Thursday!

cmalberto likes this.
  7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I believe it is available to purchase the 29th.