Dish move with Hopper

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by audiomaster, Dec 12, 2018.

1. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I am moving and want to do a dish mover and upgrade from my older hopper to the H3. I am getting a Samsung 82 inch 4K tv for my main room. I will get three additional Joeys. One will be wireless.
    Questions
    1. How can I be sure the new hopper will be able to access the important older recordings on my existing three external hard drives? Are these locked to the receiver ID or my account number?
    2. Do I need to transfer my recordings on the old hopper internal drive to an external drive prior to changing out the receivers? Or can that be done Hopper to Hopper during the install?
    3. Does the remote on a Joey talk to that Joey or have to transmit all the way back to the main Hopper? That's about 75ft in my case and thru two brick walls.
    4 What is the expected range on a wireless Joey? Would like to put it in a detached garage about 65ft away.
    Thanks for the help.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    1. not locked - connect and continue using it
    2. yes, better move to EHD, but you could try H-H move
    3. no, the remote control joye
    4. most likely will not accessible, very dependable of walls, etc

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    1 - tied to account (not receiver)'
    2. best to move internal HD to an external HD
    3. Remote talks directly to its joey
    4. I would use RG6 coax or CAT 5/5e/6 UTP to the garage. Using wireless Joey also means using Joey Wireless Access hub, and I'm not sure they use H3 with Wireless Joeys

4. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Thanks. Hardwire to garage not easy or cheap (lots of concrete between) But I have good WiFi there from my modem/router in the house. Is there as way to make that work?

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Well - you can try devices that have Dish Anywhere apps (FireTV, PC, tablet, etc.) and try them over WIFI. If they work , then ask Dish about the Wireless Joey.

6. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'm going to need another HD. Looking at the WD elements 4TB as I don't see a 2TB. Will that work with Hopper and only use 2TB? Any other suggested HDs?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you mean HDD … well, you can use it, worst case if it will be rejected by H's FW, then be sure you could return it to same store/seller

8. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Bought the WD 4TB "Elements" hard drive since it had an external power adapter. Also looked like the one in the photo on Dish site. Hopper can't find it. Can someone suggest a 2TB drive that is known to work with the H3?
    Also, anybody need a good deal on a 4TB WD Elements?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well... what you want for it ? money? parts? service ?

10. audiomaster

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Well I'd like a 2TB drive that works with the H3! Failing that, I'd like to get my $98. out of it that I paid Amazon. I'll pay shipping.