1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish needs to be realigned

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mrknowitall526, May 13, 2018.

1. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    This winter was an annoying one and many storms caused snow and ice build up on my dish. It was cleared off with a broom each time, but it has obviously been misaligned because even the smallest of rain storms or clouds now knocks the signal out. It's been overcast and showers all weekend and I haven't been able to watch anything from 99 or 103CA. When I go to the signal screen, every tx shows 0 for those sats.

My grandfather brought over a signal meter box. How difficult is it to try and readjust? Getting on the roof is not a problem. I'm thinking it's gotten slightly misaligned from the broom hitting to clear the snow. Too bad I can't reach the other side to give it a few whacks in that direction!

If I call DTV, will they charge to do the realignment?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What are the readings for the 101 sat ? If it is high it is possible that the LNB is having a problem.

Dish alignment should not be a problem it you have a meter and know how to use it.

You will have to call DTV and ask them how much it will / possibly be. You might talk them into doing it for free.

3. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    The numbers for 101 are really good. Mostly 80s and 90s. Could the LNB be getting wet somehow? That was for some reason my initial thought. My grandfather told me he happens to have a spare LNB to swap out. I'm not sure what the first step might be... I'll check the levels again once it's sunny and clear out.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Some of the 101 signals should be in the high 90s to 100. Seems the did is out of alignment just a bit but I would not think the 99 and 103 would be zero. Take the LNB up on the roof with you when you go. It is an easy change. Align the dish to the 101 for highest signal and then probably change the LNB.
    Yes, the LNB could have a cracked housing and letting the melting snow get inside.

5. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    ...and now rain. On a "good day" last well when all channels were working the 99 and 103 were in the 40-60 range which to me means something is wrong. But they still worked at that level.

I haven't really ever checked that screen much in the 5.5 years we've been here so I don't know what they used to be. I think I'd remember if they were that low to start.

6. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Signal levels. All channels on 103cb are working with those lousy numbers. It's currently drizzling outside. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Definitely sounds like needs aligning with numbers like that. I would check the elevation first to see what effect that has on the numbers / sound of the meter.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Don't look at the ones that has an "s" after the number. They are spot beams and just for your area and the numbers there are really funky and take a long time to load.

9. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I should add that my locals aren't affected by this problem. I think my Philly locals come from 103S from the mapping page I looked at.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would do simple check:
    - your grandpa watching one (!) lowest transponder on say 99/103(cb)
    - you are on a roof behind the dish's reflector
    - gently press on top/bottom/left/right rim of the dish by one finger
    - hold it for a few second
    - ask grandpa for SS changes by shooting laud :) - to see if it increase or decrease SS
    - change a direction of your force (to LNBF, from LNBF)
    That would be initial assessment routine.

11. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Well sunny today and all channels are back. I'll take the signal screens later but the ones that were 0 are now between 55-70. Still seems odd to me that they were completely at 0. I do wonder if there is a crack that is letting water get in.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Could be water, could be a failing LNB that is intermittent... I assume you have ruled out leaves encroaching on the signal path if the wind is blowing just right?

13. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Yeah there are no trees in the line of sight. Ironically we had a huge storm with a tornado warning come through an hour ago and it's fine now still ‍♂️

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    will see what the tornado will do to the LNB/setup ...

15. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    So, it happened again on a rainy day on Wednesday. I called DTV on Wednesday night, they offered the protection plan free for a month which includes the service call and somebody is coming out tomorrow morning. Supposed to be rainy again so I hope they will go out on the roof if it rains.

This time it didn't take a whole day to recover, and it was odd...on the one sat (forget which one it was) only even transponders were out. Well, the odds were in the 20s, but I'm not sure if those channels were working.

16. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm slightly north of you in the Hazleton area. I align my own dish and get 95-100's on 101, 94-97's on 99, and 94-96's on 103.

You should also get the same results with a carefully aimed dish.

P Smith likes this.
  17. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    DTV guy was just here. Even though it's raining out he went up on the roof. It was actually lucky it's raining because most things were at zero. Here's the signals after he left. Pretty amazing, actually, if you ask me!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

jimmie57 likes this.
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, looks good now
    [if you could cut 2/3 of your pictures before posting ... ;) ]

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Next winter, go easy with the broom. :)

Maybe you need to get a super soaker (large squirt gun with warm water).