Dish Needs to Update Hopper 3 To Accomodate Larger External Hardrive

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Tobias7985, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Tobias7985

Tobias7985 New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    I upgraded to a Hopper 3. I purchased a 12TB Western Digital External Hard Drive to accommodate recording of 4K movies. I have been a Dish Subscriber for over 19 years and was aware of the 2TB data limit on previous Hoppers but, did not think that the new Hopper 3 would have the same past limitation as being 4K ready I would have thought it would be able to recognize larger external drives. I talked with Dish's Tech as well as his Field Manager during the install and 2 phone Tech's after my install. I asked the Field Manager at the time of install as well of each of the 2 phone Tech's if they would turn in a request to Engineering or Development to please contact me about whether the problem in the Hopper 3 is format or software driven. The WD 12TB External Hard Drive is a My Book Duo and it is shipped with 2 drives working as one drive unless you configure partitions and is formatted for NTFS. At this time I have not confirmed the details above but I assume WD information is correct. It would seem that the Hopper 3 would recognize the hard drive however, Dish may need to provide a software update to provide the necessary link for compatibility with external hard drives larger than 2TB. The problem with the future of recording 4K movies is a 2TB external hard drives will be seriously limited in the amount of hours of movie recording. I only use the Hopper 3 internal 2TB hard drive to act as a holding area for weekly Tv Series recordings and to hold any movies temporarily to later be transferred to the external hard drive for permanent storage. My current external drive is a 2TB Seagate self powered and has been utilized on 2 previous Dish Receivers 922 & Hopper 1 and has worked on every receiver including the current Hopper 3. I have talked with the WD Tech support however, they feel it is the Hopper 3 that is not recognizing the WD HD most likely because of software or the Hopper 3's format to the external hard drive. If Dish monitors this site I ask please to work on a fix/update to cure this problem and if you do have a resolution currently please post details with your contact information so I can resolve my issue. If any of members has recognized and solved this issue please send me detailed information in how to solve my problem. Thank You to All for your Help!!!

skc29 likes this.
  2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I read somewhere that 2TB is a limitation posed by The operating system. Some have connected larger drives, but I haven't seen it confirmed that the extra capacity is used. Further, dual disks acting as one are not supported. (RAID 1 mirror discs are,) Backward compatibility is also an issue as the drives must be recognized by any DVR on the account.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps 2TB limit has been set before (in old library of HDD i/o) ...
    I recall time when e* DVR FW did try follow new biggest HDD on a market - you know what kludge e* SW coders did ?
    - they start using nested extended partitions (begin taking one out of 4 max for MBR), but _kEEP_ each separate one to OLD limit 500 GB !!!

It was funny to see how deep nest of extended partitions was when used one 3 TB drive ...
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:21056]

4. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I think I'll stick with the smaller 2 gig drives even if they eventually do go with much larger drives. Just the fact these drives rarely rest the life expectancy diminishes. Changing to a new hard drive occasionally keeps the material safe for the future access.
    Cost of multiple drives is a little more but for long term storage safer IMO.

5. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    12TB? Linux, which is the Operating System which runs on the Hoppers, certainly can support a 12TB mount point. But, usually, with that amount of storage, it is done in a RAID configuration. Such that, the mount point keeps running, even if one drive fails, and allows fro replacement. Of course we are talking about full scale Linux servers here. I think Hoppers only support 2TB, as others pointed out. If the idea is to store a lot of content, a single drive is a single point of failure. Have you thought about a network disk storage which you can copy saved content back and forth to a 2TB drive?

By the way, if you ever drop DISh, all that saved content is worthless, as it will not be usable on anything else.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, if you drop Dish all that content is lost. With DirecTV though, you lose it all if you just change the DVR.

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Someone told me that the HDD content that is recorded from a Dish receiver "can" be converted over to a format playable on a computer. Some have done that. Being no tech, I have no clue how one would copy the content. For me, anything I want to save, I just dub to a SD DVD.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The content is encrypted and tied to your Dish account. discussion about how to break that encryption would not be permitted here, even were such a thing to be possible.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps it was OTA or FTA content

10. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Are you sure this is true for all owned equipment? My portable setup 211K had been disconnected for some time and I was still able to watch DVR recorded material on my own hard drive. I don't remember the time frame but do recall watching previous recordings and was even curious if it worked and it did.
    I would only subscribe (pay as you go) occasionally, having separate homes in Nebraska and Arizona plus 2 week hunting trips during the fall I would subscribe for football and world series.
    Could be the VIP 211K is different. I sure don't recall it not being able to watch previous recorded hard drive material even unhooked.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    then why EHD could be bigger ? so, it's supporting by OS - see my post above with a ref to XiP813 3TB HDD partitioning

12. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Just curious if there hopper 3 treats ehd organizing any differently than older hoppers (no folders or any way to organize shows).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The same - indexing, etc., needs to remain compatible.

14. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Western Digital no longer makes the 2TB Elements or My Book versions. Is Dish now going to enable the Hopper 3 to accept 3TB drives? Our old 2TB is now full and I wanted to get a second drive, but they aren't available.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    where is the 2TB limit came from ?!
    so far it's internal HDD size and old e* models support EHD bigger then 2 TB - see my post how old XiP813 manage it

16. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    On my H3, there is no option to record content on an external drive. Please tell me how you do it. I also cannot find any way to backup content to an external drive only settings and timers. Am I missing something here?

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    any word in the DVR's manual ? I can't believe if not

18. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
  19. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    You cannot record to an EHD (external drive) , but you can move existing recordings to an EHD. Follow the instructions at this link that should walk you through it

Transfer Recordings to/from External Hard Drive | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

jhsanchez likes this.
  20. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ