1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish net work hardware

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by marshmonster1, Nov 12, 2010.

1. marshmonster1

marshmonster1 New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I have a dish network 500 dish and a dish 301 reciever can i conver them to Fta? or do i need a new reciever? and if so is it legal since i own the equipment? and what legal pit falls should i be aware of so i don't get my self in trouble.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are very few channels that are available without a subscription. If you want to see true "Free to air" feeds you will need a different receiver and a dish aimed at different satellites.

Be aware that some people refer to getting subscription services for free as FTA ... and thieves are the ones converting legit receivers to steal programming that requires a subscription. We do not tolerate how to discussions here, nor where to go for such instructions.

Other than the few channels you might get on an unmodified receiver you'll need a subscription to watch DISH Network services.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    FTA requires about a 1 meter dish for most satellite usage, or about twice the width of a dish 500. The receiver has tunability to adjust to different methods of broadcasting. DISH 301 is controlled by DISH's programming of the receiver.

4. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    There are quite a few free channels that you can view with FTA equipment, especially lots of foreign channels. There is a FTA forum here as well you might want to check out.