Dish Network Ad during Bucs-Dolphins Game (re: Sunday Ticket)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by AMike, Aug 27, 2009.

1. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I just saw an ad for Dish and the tag line was, "Who would pay $300 for football?" Answer: All of us who have Sunday Ticket!

That seems to me to be a desperate marketing move, but they have tried this angle in the past. I don't think it worked then, and I don't think it will work now.

2. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Yeah but if they get the RED ZONE Channel for way less than half of that, how many would jump at that and save $$$.

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    + its not true as i have it & only paid $275. :p

Shows they cant even count so they must be stupider than i thought which is hard to even fathom.

4. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I've seen other ads where they state they have "all" of the big games every week...so why pay more? I pay more for NFLST because I am a displaced fan. If I lived in my team's home market I probably would never have switched to D*...since I live outside the home market for my team, i will be a D* subscriber...for me, the price is worth it.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    so they just have what you can get OTA for free + the NFL network and espn games?

6. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Don't forget the Red Zone channel

7. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Actually, none of us. We all paid $150.

8. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I'm sick of Dish Network commercials. There is one Dish commercial i saw that is like a mini infomercial specifically for Dish Network that airs quite a bit especially on Sundays on WGN. It goes on to tell how Dish provides "All" the "Big" Games. That might be true. You would get the Super Bowl and all the playoff games on your local channels. But there are 16 other weeks throughout the NFL Season besides just the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Dish just cannot compete with DirecTv when it comes to the NFL. DirecTv has the most amount of games and the biggest selection anywhere. Dish Network also does not carry The Majority of the Major League Baseball games that are available on DirecTv as well. And I would never jump ship from DirecTv to go to Dish even if they did have the Red Zone Channel. I watch NFL GAMES!!! Not the Red Zone Channel and I watch those games only on DirecTv.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You however know the difference. Johnny and Susie home maker might not. When you look at advertisements it can look like a great deal. The problem is the first NFL sunday they realise that they've been had they can't do anything because of an agreement. Comcast is doing the same thing now and I heard, haven't looked it up, that they are offering a special "NFL" promotion where they are waiving a couple of more fees if a customer agrees to an agreement. These companies are setting themself up to have some really bad PR. Then again from these two companies it wouldn't be anything new. However it's going to help their 4Q numbers and if done in earnest will detract from DirecTV's normal growth and impact churn.

The problem is DirecTV really can't put an add out saying not to fall for imitations without down talking the NFL channel and having issues with the NFL. Either way I expect to see some very upset posts from people who felt they were lied to.

10. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well that falls back on the customer. They need to do their homework and make sure they will be able to see the programming/sports they want to see. For myself it is a no brainer. I don't live in the Chicagoland area anymore and DirecTv is the only way I can continue to watch every Chicago Bears Game every Sunday in the fall. Johnny and Susie homemaker probably don't care about football anyhow. But I do and I care about my baseball MLB Extra Innings package as well. For Me DirecTv is the only choice.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    that is not a full game

12. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Godfather

Feb 17, 2006
    Maybe they meant "Who would pay $300 to watch football games like Bucs v. Dolphins?" :D

13. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Since my friend is the father of Bucs player...I might! It is cool to watch the kid play, knowing his father I get some cool insights every now and then!

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    But they dont say u see the whole game....you gotta be more lawyerish with this mumbo jumbo.
    Its like when directv says 130+ HD channels & counts PPV.

Most consumers are dopes + dish etc. take advantage of that.

15. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I'm originally from Tampa, so I have Sunday Ticket primarily to watch the Bucs.

Now, preseason games like last night's are a different matter entirely -- I only made it through the first half, especially with the lightning delay.

16. matrixj3

matrixj3 AllStar

Jul 12, 2009
    No the real price is $150 WITH SF just got off the phone!

17. tlieberg

tlieberg AllStar

Apr 16, 2008
    BullS*&#. You might have got that by playing some form of CSR roulette, but when I called to cancel this year (after subscribing for 7 years) the best they could do was in the neighborhood of $250 (with SF.) The product is pretty cool - though having to pay the extra $99 for HD is absolute BS - but Dish seems completely legitimate to claim the cost is over $300. D*'s published price is 5 payments of $59.99 + $99 for SF - seems to me that's closer to $400 for HD football. Considering it doesn't include any Thursday, Saturday, Sunday night or Monday night games, and you get 3 Sunday afternoon games for free on CBS and Fox locals - you get close to a third (or better) of the weekend's games "for free."

I won't even get into the outrageous crap of D* selling the product for widely divergent prices to different customers.