Dish Network and DirecTV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gcotterl, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1 of 21
    gcotterl

gcotterl New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Today, an AT&T salesman encouraged me to bundle my telephone, satellite TV and Internet services. During his sales pitch, when I told him that my current satellite TV provider is Dish, he said that AT&T uses DirecTV. He also claimed that DirecTV and Dish have identical programming and that both satellite companies were previously the same company. Is that true?

2. Oct 6, 2015 #2 of 21
    SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I have had the same type ordeal. One thing I did not like was the smallness of the hard drive Hopper has much begger drive than what I would have been offered. These guys are only doing their jobs for monies. I have about three offers in the past two years. I had to convince these peeps that I prefer DISH over any of their offers.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

3. Oct 6, 2015 #3 of 21
    jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    DISH and DirecTV do NOT have the same programming and have never been the same company.

Salesmen are salesmen and have only a passing understanding of anything beside their quota and commission.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #4 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's not identical programming, but both do carry most of the same channels. The biggest difference really is what package has the channels you want. There are some exceptions, but they generally are the exception and not the rule.

But him saying that AT&T uses DirecTV is funny. They OWN DirecTV.

There have been merger talks in the past, but they definitely have never been the same company.

5. Oct 7, 2015 #5 of 21
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have not compared the channels between Dish & Direct for sometime, but they do carry about the same main channels, but Direct did not carry many in the $10 movie pack we get. I do not know if those have been added or not. Someone said Direct now has BBC World. That would be nice, but I get it streaming on the Roku along with many other International news channels for free. I wish Dish would add a few more of the newer channels and switch more to HD, but I guess for now, Dish does not have the space. Hopefully that will improve in the future.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #6 of 21
    BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Not only do they not have identical programming, in some cases they don't have identical locals. In our rural area in northern Illinois I know people who have been denied Chicago locals by Direct even though they can have them with Dish. The two competitors apparently drew different boundary lines for coverage. Comcast has a third set of boundary lines for their cable coverage. Our town cannot get Chicago locals in HD but is forced to take Quad City locals to get networks in HD, although Comcast does offer us Chicago locals in SD. A nearby town, which is actually a few miles further from Chicago, gets Chicago locals in HD from Comcast. Go figure?

7. Oct 7, 2015 #7 of 21
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is interesting. I thought the boundaries would be the same, as Dish or Direct do not set those up. The DMA's I thought were controlled by the TV stations. Like here in OR Portland covers the NW corner of the state and in WA Seattle covers nearly all of Western WA.

1 person likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2015 #8 of 21
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    DMA markets "boundaries" are the same for all providers,or at least they are supposed to be. The DMA's, with only a few exceptions, are determined by the county where your are located. It gets complicated if your zip-code crosses the county line, then the -0000 part of the zip-code should help pinpoint you to the proper DMA. It has nothing to do with your distance to the "big city" that the DMA is named after, it has more to do with the advertising on those stations.

9. Oct 7, 2015 #9 of 21
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Nielsen is the company that determines what DMA you are in. They take surveys to see what channels your neighbors are watching. Sometimes a county will change DMA's if enough residents are watching the "wrong" DMA. For example Armstrong County, PA switched from Youngstown, OH to Pittsburgh, PA, even though Youngstown was literally next door. The reason may have something to do with a certain NFL team's coverage.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    And a lot of it is based on OTA viewing. i.e. because of the mountains making UHF reception of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton stations hard back in the day compared to the NYC VHF stations, Pike County PA was placed in the NYC market when the maps were drawn.

Cable is different since it's based on where the headend is. If the headend/plant serving your area is on the other side of the line, you get those channels.

DirecTV now has the ability to split zip codes by county so they updated some markets last fall so people with the same zip code can get different locals based on their county. i.e. on DirecTV the Pike County portions of 18302 gets the NYC locals, the Monroe county portions get the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton locals, when I put the zip code in on Dish's lookup it just gives the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton locals.

11. jay22381

jay22381 New Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Yea same here I'm in Northampton and I get philly stations when I use to be able to get wnep were ect.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    It is interesting in SW WA that most cities, Portland OR is their DMA. But a few within a few miles use Seattle.

13. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    dish and directv are two separate companies. the only thing that I knew of and I heard this years ago is that directv leased satellite space from dish how true that is I dunno. so maybe if someone could chime in on that. directv also has a lot of bait and switch tatics where's dish is more strait forward for people that want to own there own equipment vs leasing and being married to one particular company.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I do not believe DISH and DirecTV have ever leased satellites or space from each other.
    (DISH and DirecTV have both leased to others and leased from others - but I do not believe one has ever leased from the other.)

15. ground_pounder

Aug 15, 2014
    compare channel line ups with what you watch for channels. I bet that dish comes out cheaper. The sales rep told me that I could save money by switching to directv. I just laugh and tell em that I don't want it since my dish bill is cheaper for not being under a contract. And I can start and stop when ever I want to. If you want a no contract plan then don't look at directive they will tell you 50 million lines to get you to sign up. I never thought that side switch to dish but there more strait forward and up front than tv is. And I have had better customer service than with direct!!

16. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I bet package prices are closer than many think with HD available channels. The bottom end Dish America's Top 120 w/HD isn't as good as the directv Entertainment w/HD.
    Both run 59.99 but Direct hits you with an extra $10 for HD.

When comparing price everything needs included, Extras like HD, DVR's etc. Dish is more upfront on pricing and Directv tries to avoid attention to add on cost. James does a good job explaining pricing and HD channel lineups here.

http://jameslong.name/hdcount.html

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that chart is a little outdated as DirecTV no longer charges for HD. instead there is a $15 a month fee called Advanced Receiver Service (for DVR) and the first receiver is no longer credited.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

18. ground_pounder

Aug 15, 2014
    I thought that HD was free after January with directv?? Though I May be wrong on that.they do have great programming but I can't justify the costs and then all of the other fees involved

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No fee is added to the prices on the chart for DirecTV ... and the description is clear:

"Effective July 24th, 2014, DirecTV installs only HD equipment for all new customers. All new customers receive HD channels.
    New DirecTV customers pay an additional $6 per TV for service, including the first TV.
    Please check the DirecTV website for current offers

"Customers prior to July 24th, 2014, have a $10 HD Service fee or combination fee that includes $10 for HD service."

Otherwise receiver fees are not listed on either side of the chart (since they vary so much based on the type of receiver or when the subscriber signed up).

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I guess is a little confusing, but I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk