1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network dishpro Plus question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by forsaken, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 20
    forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I know the Lnb on the dishpro 500 plus has two outputs, well in my case I am only using one cable at the moment and is plugged into the #2 slot of the lnb. It then runs to a dish pro plus seperator and into a DVR 625 dual output sat receiver. Which provides signal to the tv in my living room and my bedroom.

Now I tried adding another receiver and plugged it into the #1 slot of the lnb and im not getting anything. I'm thinking that the #1 slot of the lnb is broken but my friend told me that if you are using a dual tuner DVR and use the "dish pro plus seperator" it'll disable the second output from the lnb. Is this true? Do i need to get a quad lnb then ? or is my #1 socket just busted ?

any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks!

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 20
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    After you disconnect everything and hook it all back up again, you need to run a check switch on both receivers.

Any particular reason you started with output #2?

What receiver are you plugging into output #1? If the receiver that you're trying to add is a legacy model, then you now know why you shouldn't have started with output #2.

Your friend is mistaken. You should be able to run any two DP or better capable receivers off of the DP Twin. What gets disabled is the third LNB input if you connect the DPP Twin to an outboard switch like the DP34 or the DPP44.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 20
    forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    ah! i will give it a shot. yes the second receiver is a legacy.

So I will have to move my dual tuner receiver to #1, run check switch, make sure it works. Then do the same on #2 with the legacy receiver.

What happens if you start on #2? I mean, I thought both should be the same ?

thanks!

4. Aug 7, 2007 #4 of 20
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    I don't think it matters which output is used. The DPP Twin installation instructions (p.5, step 7b) has a legacy receiver on output 1 and another receiver on output 2. Then under the chart on p.8 it says "Install a DISH Pro Plus dual-tuner receiver first," which could be taken to mean output 1. Either way it's easy enough to swap. You did use both outputs, right? The outputs are together, the input is on the other side by itself.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 20
    forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    hmm thats what I thought. But i'll give it a try this weekend. Its at my friends place so I don't have access to it right now :) . Yes, i did use both outputs on the left side and not the IN on the right.

i thought the "check switch" only checks the lnb, does it do something else that is needed for a new box install ? I don't want to question you guys :) just trying to understand more so I won't be a cable monkey :)

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 20
    GuNrunR

GuNrunR New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    um if you are running a dpp twin " the lnb that has 2 ports on the 119 side and 1 on the 110 side. you need a dp adapter behind your legacy reciever.

just to clarify. do you have a 20" dish. or do you have a dish 500+ i thought i heard you mention something about a dish 500+ with is a very different animal form the dish 500. the 500+ has an elliptical reflector, 1 integrated lnbf and one dual lnb, and is usually running inro a box that says dp34 on it.

answer this and i can help you for sure, i know way too much about dish ****!

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 20
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Doesn't seems to me. Please, tell me you are not Dish installer.
    a)DP Plus devices support legacy receivers WITHOUT DP Adapter.
    b) DP Plus LNBF have internal 'DPP32' switch and compatible with legacy receivers.
    c) DPP+ support legacy also.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 20
    forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Hi im not really as technicall as some of you guys :) so ill try to answer as best as I can.

My friend has the dish 500 pro plus. I did try and use the #2 port to the legacy box and it works (alone). Its just the #1 that doesnt work. I haven't tried connecting the #1 to the dual tuner and I will try it this weekend.

GuNrunR yes your right, the lnb i have has 2 ports on the left and 1 (IN) port on the right. But from reading the docs i dont think its specifically for 119, the impression i got was its switched, so it has both signals. I don't have an elliptical reflector. I have the circle dish 500 one, and I don't have any other box outside the dish like a dp34, etc. Its just a dish -> to the seperator -> dual tuner right now. No hubs/switches.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 20
    GuNrunR

GuNrunR New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    dpp 44 has an internals allowning for legacy recievers
    dp34 doesn't
    don't think the dpp twin does either....i'll check starbase for you

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DPP Twin incorporates a DPP32 switch.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DPP Twin does support legacy boxes, but req two of them or one DP plus one legacy receiver.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No need to leave the domain to find your answer. Check the bottom of the page here at the EKB.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  14. forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    thats what i thought. ... :scratchin . I want one dual tuner and one legacy. hmm now im more confused. What do you guys suggest I should do then ?

15. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes, please.

GuNrunR,
    Read through the link in post #4.

16. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    There is no 119 'port' and 110 'port' on a DPP twin. Both on the left output 119/110. Single on the right is for third sat input. :icon_cool

17. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Your dual-tuner DP rcvr plugged into port 1, and your Legacy rcvr plugged into port 2 without a DP adaptor should work. Is your LNB secondhand? You never used the 1st port to begin with, so you don't know if it ever really worked. If your dual-tuner won't work on port 1 after you've done the check switch, then your LNB is busted. Obviously, the dual-tuner worked on port 2, so I would say the LNB is bad. If you have a friend that could do without his DPP LNB long enough to let you test your hook-up, try that. Otherwise, set up a service call with Dish, in order to have a tech come out and replace it. :icon_cool

18. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    On a DPP 44SW port 1 MUST be a DP tuner, the 3 other receiver ports can be legacy w/o an adapter.

19. dartonviper

dartonviper Legend

Mar 10, 2004
    A DP rec. has to go on the #1 output when using a legacy receiver with it.

20. forsaken

forsaken New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    thanks! i will try using #1 with the dual tuner then. will let u guys know this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.