Dish Network giving up ad-skipping tech in deals with broadcasters

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Athlon646464, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA

(bizjournals.com) - A detail lost in some of the noise over Dish Network Corp. resolving its contract spat with CBS last week was this: the satellite TV company gave up some commercial-skipping features of its Hopper set-top box to get a deal....

Full Story Here
    [​IMG]

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    He hasn't given up the feature, only delayed when it will work. Big difference.

For me it is ho-hum to have to wait 7 days to have auto-skip for a program since I'm generally that far behind anyway. :)

3. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    So can viewers still manually FF through commercials?

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes. I use the 30-second skip all the time when auto-hop isn't available.

5. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    This statement is not true. Mods please adjust this headline
    Before we had to wait till the next day for the auto skip to work.
    Now we wait even more days. It still works
    And the extra delay is only for cbs owned stations.

6. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Check the Disney settlement I think ABC has a 5 day delay. I expect that each new negotiated contract may have this feature added it is cheaper than law suits.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The headline comes from "bizjournals.com" ... it is their summary of the story they have written.

I agree that "DISH Network delays ad skipping tech in deals with two broadcasters" would be more accurate. But I don't get to change "bizjournals.com" headlines. Accurate or not the headline is what they have written.

BTW: ABC's agreement was "C3" ... or delayed until after the third day (on ABC owned stations).

8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Wait 7 days. So much for the hopper, it’s only a matter of time all get the same deal as CBS. Meanwhile Charlie will continue his feeble effort to protect his customers and keep cost down. :righton:

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Disney's deal was for 3 days.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    LOL!

The Hopper has so much going for it that a longer than previous delay for auto-hop is nearly a ho-hum happening!

And I don't think Charlie is feeble in his attempts to keep costs down, I suspect that Dish's harder line in negotiations results in both D* and E* getting better deals than they would otherwise. But since they are held in secret, neither you nor I actually know.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Networks need to make better programming.

The better the programming the more likely I am to watch it the same day (before Auto-Hop is available) or during C3 or C7 (when commercials that are time sensitive are more valuable).

Once programming hits a recorder (any recorder - not just the Hopper) the commercials start losing their value. If I am watching TV while distracted (another sign of less than captivating programming) I might not have the remote in my hand and might not skip all the commercials. Auto-Hop fixes that by skipping the commercials for me. But for the most part, once the program is recorded the commercials are gone at the (multiple) press of a single button ... and the (multiple) press of a different single button if I skip too far.

BTW: The "SKIP FWD" button on the Hopper allows for multiple skips. Press it four times and skip two minutes. One does not have to see a second of two of commercials between each press.

The better the programming the more likely I am to watch same night or even live. The lesser programs are the ones I leave on the DVR for more than a week (after "C7"). Any time sensitive commercials have lost value by then. If I get too many weeks behind the decision comes to either catching up or letting go. Either way, I am not watching commercials.

Make better programs.

1 person likes this.
  12. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    When I reference a web site (bizjournals.com), as I did in the first post here, I do not change their headline or their text. Because I am copying their text that would not be the right thing to do.

You may, however, while discussing the story, point out something you disagree with - as you have done.

I agree with Mr. Long on this......

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The article got the headline wrong... Athlon got it right the way he posted it... and I agree with James, when we reference an article we reference their exact headline even if it is wrong.

Meanwhile...

Way way back when AutoHop was first announced, I remember being in the small group of people here who said it was likely ultimately a negotiating ploy for Charlie to have in his back pocket. He proved it was possible to implement, and then he had chips to stack when the "big four" came to the table for negotiations. This was never a big feature to me. Sure it's cool... but I can skip commercials manually with very little difficulty... Dish doing for me wasn't the must-have feature for the Hopper. The Hopper has a lot of other good things going for it that aren't negotiable.

As for the delays... you can still watch whatever you record immediately and skip commercials manually... you can still save recordings outside the PTAT window and watch them later with the AutoHop feature if you want. This should be a little deal to Dish subscribers in terms of convenience of access... but it's a big deal in helping to curb programming costs and keep our bills down.

Bravo to Charlie and Dish for the innovation.

1 person likes this.
  14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    This headline??:

For many people, waiting a week is tantamount to it not being there at all. Calling for Mod intervention isn't called for!

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is interesting people seem more upset about the headline than DISH agreeing to delay AutoHop in a few markets for a few days.

16. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Rarely use autohop.

I record but watch the same day, my finger is programmed to hot the Skip Fwd key at the first sign of a commercial break.

If I happen to use Auto Hop my finger often screws it up by hitting the Skip FWD button before Auto Hop can kick in, so while it is a curiosity, It is not a big deal at all.

17. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Not that I use autohop that much but as far as I can tell it works the same as it always has when I do use it, not sure why anyone thinks it's gone and/or going away, sounds like uninformed reporting by someone who doesn't have first hand knowledge of what they're writing about. If it's something Dish can use as a "negotiating chip" at the table when making deals with the big 4 networks good for them, especially since like I said as far as I can tell it has little or no effect on the usefulness of the feature. I guess if you don't like that autohop has been somehow "compromised" you can always switch providers and get it somewhere else, oh wait that's right you can't, Dish is the only one that has it in any form at all.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since it is a news item here, it should be correct (or noted as inaccurate).

Reblogging doesn't mean you have to post known false information in the name of Fair Use.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the headline were true, there would likely be more uproar. As it is, many aren't affected by the change.

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    The headline is true, just quite misleading!
    [Film at 11:00]