1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Installer "Fios will take over in 10-15 years"

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jack White, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I talked to the satellite guy who was installing cabling in a different room because my family wanted the primary location of the 625 to be in a different room.
    He said that Fiostv will take over in 10-15 years and that "we'll all probably be working for them by then".

2. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Okay, how is this relevant now? :confused:

3. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    They will ..Comcast is starting to feel the heat..but cablevision is really starting to lose customers..Directv will get lose more than e* because of their relationship with Verizon ( Verizon is switching customers off of D* onto fios)

4. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Not until they get a box that works as well as the 622! I've tried Fios, and stuck with Dish!

Tom in TX

5. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Verizon will never come to north NJ. I'm stuck with crappy Embarq...

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep.

Hands up everyone who ever had an installer tell them something that wasn't true. :D

7. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    It's tough to "take over" when you are a regional provider.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Fios is VERY expensive to layout. Local company put fios out and is in trouble because of capital cost.

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Since I have never seen you post a complementary post about satellite, why does your family still have satellite? Afterall, everything is better.

10. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    10-15 years for what?

It's reality now for a number of counties in PA.

If you are talking nationwide, I (or others) have heard of no plans for FIOS nationwide.....and thus far no other national company has even spoken of building a true FTTH network other than Verizon.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It ain't going to happen at my place in NC - I can tell you that right now - it's Embarq DSL or Time Warner Cable for landline services, and Dish or DirectTv for DBS - and I'm not sure about DirectTV....

12. lpmiller

lpmiller AllStar

Mar 8, 2007
    it will take 10-15 years before it's in Minnesota.

13. sharklover

sharklover Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    How many sd channels do you get on Fios?This is the first time I've heard of them.

14. DishSubLA

DishSubLA Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    FIOS has the potential. However, the vast majority of consumers couldn't tell the difference between HD and HD lite from one day to the next (Some of my relatives still rate the current Dish SD channel quality as "excellent" to "very good"). In the end it will be the services that provide a "good enough" HD picture quality, with selections of channels and services along with good technology, good customer service, and at a price that seems right, or that the family can afford. That means all the players have a chance at "taking over." I don't see a "take over." It may come down to 3 types of technology that will provide the consumer with choice and good old competition. It's good to see FIOS, cable and satellite scrambling to get your subscription.

15. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
  16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I asked the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago. Apparently there’s some must have channel on Dish, no one else has. The best were the Photoshopped screen caps he tried to pass off as real at DBSForums years ago that showed nothing but large macroblocks.

I'm sure this installer is just as knowledgeable as CSRs. Fios will only be deployed were Verizon is the ILEC, what about the other 50%+ of the country that is served by AT&T, Qwest and smaller outfits like Frontier.

17. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Considering there isn't even DSL from Verizon on the street I live on, I'd say the chances of Fios taking over here is slim and none.

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    To hear him speak, the only thing acceptable for Jack White is "being there", with MAYBE full uncompressed HD video a distant second.

19. yardbird

yardbird Mentor

May 7, 2007
    I live in a rural area. No Verizon here. Frontier is our phone service. DSL is a rather recent feature out here. I have no hope of seeing fiber to my house unless the cows finally stop boycotting new technology.

20. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I have FiOS available to me (I have FiOS internet). I wanted to trial them for a few months to check it out side by side, but they wanted a 1yr commitment. I've seen their lineup and its no better than Dish. Plus my TV is only a 42" ED ~ 15ft away from where I sit, so it likely wouldn't improve much even with FiOS's better PQ.

So I declined, plus its more fun following the E* show that takes place here on the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.