1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network Introduces America's First True TV Everywhere Offering

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Nov 18, 2010.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH Network Introduces America's First True TV Everywhere Offering
    Newly-Introduced Sling Adapter Allows Live TV Viewing on iPhone®, iPad™, Android™ and BlackBerry® Devices

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 18, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. today became the first pay-TV provider in America to introduce a true TV Everywhere™ offering, giving DISH Network subscribers the ability to watch all of their live and recorded television programs on compatible smartphones, tablets and laptops. DISH Network subscribers can access these features when they download and use the DISH Remote Access application in concert with their broadband-connected, Sling®-enabled receiver.

"DISH Network is proud to be the first pay-TV provider to bring our customers the ability to enjoy their TV anywhere, anytime on a variety of popular devices," said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. "Unlike mobile viewing from cable and telcos that limit access to select programs, our TV Everywhere services give consumers 24 x 7 access to all of the live and recorded content included with their DISH Network programming subscription."

Introducing Sling Adapter

To enjoy the live viewing capability of DISH Remote Access, consumers need to be DISH Network subscribers and have a Sling-enabled device such as the newly-released Sling Adapter™ — a small placeshifting device that pairs with DISH Network's ViP® 722 or 722k HD DVRs. With a Sling Adapter, customers can then view their high-definition or standard-definition DISH Network programming, including live and recorded shows, on compatible mobile devices or laptops. The award-winning Sling Adapter is powered and operated through a USB connection, offering an easy, plug-and-play set-up without the need for any other wires or connectors. The Sling Adapter is available for $99 to new and current DISH Network customers.

The DISH Remote Access app is free.

Mobile Applications, Available Today

The DISH Remote Access app provides the following features:
    • Enjoy live TV programming from all subscribed channels,
    • View all DVR recordings,
    • Manage recordings and delete shows,
    • Use a mobile device as a remote control.

DISH Remote Access is powered by SlingPlayer Mobile™ technology for support of 3G and WiFi-enabled phones, laptops or tablets, including the following devices*:
    • iPhone® & iPod touch®: Watch your TV on your iPhone's Retina display. You can download the app now through the iTunes Store®.
    • iPad™ (TV viewing coming soon on iOS 4.2): Catch your favorite TV shows, live and in HD, on the iPad's crystal-clear 9.7 inch screen. The DISH Remote Access app is currently available through the iTunes Store and will soon be updated to provide full-screen TV viewing for the iPad.
    • Android™: DISH Network offers full support for the fastest-growing smartphone OS in the world. DISH Remote Access for Android devices is available for 4.3-inch display smartphones and tablets, and can be downloaded through the Android Market using your device.
    • Windows® & Mac® Computers: DISH Remote Access allows high-definition TV viewing on Windows and Mac systems. DISH Network subscribers can log in to DISH Remote Access at DISH Network's website to use the service.
    • BlackBerry®: DISH Remote Access means your BlackBerry is no longer just for business, unless your business is watching your TV anywhere and anytime. The beta app is available for Bold (Models 9700 & 9000) and Curve (Models 8520 & 8900) through the TV Everywhere section on DISH Network's website.

*DISH Network will continue to expand its menu of compatible devices.

For more information about the Sling Adapter, DISH Remote Access and other DISH Network TV Everywhere products, visit www.dish.com/tveverywhere.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Repetitive post I know, but I CANNOT BELIEVE I JUST PAID FOR THE SLING PLAYER APP FOR MY PHONE LESS THAN A WEEK AGO.

3. digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    So this device pulls the stream directly from the receiver, not from the video out?

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    On the 922, yes. I don't know how it works on the 722 yet.

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I think it can only do that with the 922, on the 622 or 722 it requires the Sling Adapter that I assume still has a video and audio input on it that it converts to streaming IP data.

EDIT: I read the press release again and it makes it sound like the Sling Adaptor is only connected via USB and doesn't need an additional video and audio connection like an actual Slingbox does.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This adapter is meant to be in lieu of a traditional Sling device... so for the non-Sling receivers (622,722, etc.) it will connect via USB and then to your network.

IF it works as good as a Sling adapter, then it will be welcomed. IF it is cheaper, it will also be welcomed. BUT if it carries the same limitation that the 922 has of only being supported by Sling-via-Website-login, then it will be similarly panned for not allowing the SlingPlayer program on the PC/Mac to work.

7. DavidMi

DavidMi Legend

Aug 24, 2009
  8. DaCypher

DaCypher Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Any word on what happened to the Sling Extender? The TV Everywhere site no longer has any info on it (not even a "Coming soon..." tease). I'm more interested in getting HD for my second TV than I am being able to watch TV on my Android phone. I'm almost curious enough to buy a Sling Receiver 300 and see if it'll work with the Sling Adapter.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Wow, $99 seems like a reasonable price - less than half a Slingbox PRO-HD. But...
    • You can use a Slingbox with other equipment (and nowhere does it say this new gadget will work with a 622).
    • You use the Sling web connection system with Slingbox.
    • A Slingbox uses your TV1 out without switching your722/722k over to duo mode.
    We have this graphic on Dish's page which implies that you may be able to Sling to a TV, but of course the DVR will hook up to a TV...

[​IMG]

...and then there's this on another page that doesn't mention another TV at all:

[​IMG]

The TV receiver gadget no longer appears anywhere I can find on the Dish web site. It never appeared on the Slingbox.com web site, but does still appear as a possible product on the Sling Media web site.

EDIT: Hmmm. I was just contemplating my post above. Since the new Sling Adapter grabs it's content from TV2 out thereby making TV2 out HD, and since my Slingbox PRO-HD grabs it's content from TV1 out, it would seem like I could end up with two separate HD TV Everywhere streams from a 722/722k.

10. farmerdave4

farmerdave4 Mentor

Apr 19, 2007
    I chatted with Customer Service earlier and it is not available for the 622. I asked if it will in the future, she no information about that. Only for the 722 & 722K. I thought the only difference in the 622 & 722 was the size of the harddrive. They will miss out on a lot of sales if they don't make it available for the 622.
    :mad:

11. PDR

PDR Mentor

Jul 14, 2003
    I have 2 622s. I called Dish to confirm that the sling adapter does not work with the 622 and, in fact, it does not. So I asked about swapping out one of my 622s for a 722. That's where the fun began. The first csr tried to set up a swap but came back and said his computer doesn't differentiate between between the 622 and 722. All he can do is specify an upgrade to a duo HDDVR but depending what the local installer had on the truck he might show up with a 622, a 722 or a 722k. He suggested I call a local installer to see if they had a 722 in stock and try to do it that way. I found a local installer who has 722s in stock but he wants $99 to come out, whereas if I do this directly from Dish the installation fee is waived. I called Dish back and got the same story. I then asked what if a new customer who saw the announcement about the sling adapter called up and asked for a 722 and a sling adapter. I was told that there was no way they could guarantee that the customer would actually get a 722. This makes no sense. I could understand not differentiating when there was essentially no difference between the units, but now that Dish has released an accessory that only works on the 722, they need to figure out how to specify that a 722 will be shipped.

12. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    This sounds good but before I pull the trigger - how do i hook it up via the USB port if my EHD is using it?

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, this will bring back that good old cluster within Dish where they can't guarantee you a 722 if you order one... They probably will send a 722 to a new customer, but an existing customer has about as good of a chance of getting a 622. That's exactly what happened to me when I tried to upgrade my 622 to get another 722... and they sent me a 622 again.

IF this isn't going to support the 622, then they are going to need a way to guarantee people can get a 722 upgrade if they want one OR they will have some unhappy people.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I believe all of the ViP receivers have 2 USB ports (one in front and one in back).

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The press release had a link to DISH's updated information about the product ...
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The unit looks like it is mostly heatsink. It uses the 722/722k for power and Ethernet connections.

16. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I bought a Targus Chill Hub that has a built in 4 port USB hub in it. That way it keeps the 722k cooler and I have my external hard drive plugged in to it. When I get the Sling Extender I will be all set. You could use the front USB port, but many people would not like how that would look.

17. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    According to the info I've seen on it, it will run off a powered USB hub. When I say "powered", what I mean is the hub will need to draw power from the electrical outlet, not from the device.

18. motorcycledave1000

motorcycledave1000 New Member

May 4, 2009
    What about the new "Internet-ready" HDTV's? Can they login to Dish Remote Access or just receive the slinged content?

I get all giddy thinking about only having one wire (the power cord) running to my other TV's!

19. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Thanks for the info on the hub. Connecting to the front USB doesn't appeal to me for aesthetic reasons. For 99 bucks I don't see a downside. I ordered mine. Shipping is free as well.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I am not aware of an internet-ready HDTV with a Sling app of any kind.

This area gets really fuzzy. As Wired Magazine noted in a recent issue, the internet is thriving and has a bright future but the web (www) may not as dedicated apps take over (see this thread). An app for HULU doesn't get you Netflix and both company's apps won't get you content from your Sling system.

At this point in time you have to make a decision.
    • You can wait for an app to appear on some internet-ready HDTV and buy it, or wait for the Sling folks to get that other box that hooks up to your TV ready for market, both of which fall into that "soon" situation.
    • You can right now use a computer to stream Slinged content, either hooked up to your TV or a monitor, which also allows you to stream from other sites like Netflix.
    I bought a Slingbox PRO-HD because I couldn't wait for "soon" to arrive bringing the Dish specific equipment. I dumped my old TV's without replacing them, except for the Pany plasma in our "home theater." I use computers in other rooms.

Clean looking options for those interested in Sling who want to feed a second HD TV and have a wireless network (wired is ok too) in your home include computer solutions like the ASUS Eee Box EB1501P available at Amazon for a pricy $499.98. (Please note that this is not an endorsement, but just an example of what one might find.)