1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network is apparently full of crap

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ciurca, Jun 11, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    This is per the president of WBOC in the Salisbury, MD market.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm not familiar with this particular situation, but based on other areas that I do know about, I would submit that you're reading a very biased take on what is going on.

Many local stations are trying to get HUGE (50-300+%) fee increases for retransmission rights. Dish may have broken off negotiations because the local channel owners were simply being unreasonable with these fees, and wouldn't agree to a realisitic number.

Don't be fooled. While everything this GM stated may be true, it's certainly not "the whole story."

3. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    It still fraudulent advertising by Dish, my friend. And based on Dish's track record of stretching the truth, and outright lying, its rather easy to see possibly the "whole story" here, without securing Dish's side of the story. Past history speak volumes.

4. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    WBOC was running ads last year durring hurricane season saying that if you subbed to a dish provider you'd need an antenna in order to keep up to date with local weather information on WBOC/FOX21 and WMDT (the ABC Affiliate here).

I haven't seen any such ads on WMDT, which leads me to believe WBOC is the hold up.

I personally can get all the local channels in HD perfectly so it doesnt matter to me.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    What is this thread doing in a DirecTV forum?

6. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Moral superiority of Directv????

7. georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Guys, you can't tell the DISH trolls they should stay away from this forum if you're gonna insist on leaving troll bait out like this. . .

8. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    People like these are why we have commericals that lie about eveything. Lies are excepted in ads and all parts of our lives. What happen to truth?? dtv says dish needs two dishes to get hd and direct tv doesnt need two dishes for thier programing, any programing!! Not true! International channels need two dishes to get all channels. Stop the lies and state facts and we all win.

9. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    So, you don't know anything about the situation, but you can still state this with certainty. At least, you make no secret of your own bias. When I've mentioned DirecTV's refusal to carry NBC HD in Honolulu, I usually get treated to this kind of tall tale about failed negotiations due to unreasonable local demands, without any slightest trace of evidence that it's true. It's very irritating.

10. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I live in this area and I can't wait to get our locals instead of Baltimore locals. Baltimore fox is the worst audio I ever heard!

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You can't handle the truth.

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    So far, the only reason I'm happy that DISH is around is to keep DirecTV on their toes....like the current "free HD" fiasco.

If it seems too good to be true it probably is. I'm just waiting to see where both DISH and DirecTV decide to make up for that lost $10 a month HD fee revenue... :(

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You *do* realize that the sat companies are at a huge disadvantage in an area when they can't offer locals over the sat, right? It is in the satellite company's best interest to offer locals unless the market is tiny. So, why would they break off negotiations to carry the channel? Why would they be in negotiations in the first place? There's only one answer: money.

14. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't know. Your theory about what is going on seems plausible to me. But we must resist the impulse to present theories as facts. Your adverb "certainly" applied to a situation you have no factual knowledge of struck me as inappropriate.

15. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I personally thought it was pretty clear that battlezone was offering his opinion on what was going on. His first sentence tells you that.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Maybe I missed something... Does this have to do with Dish's announcement that they will offer locals in every market?

If so, and I don't know all the details, but does Dish's claim state that they offer all the local channels in every market or just that they offer locals in every market. If the latter is true and there is more than just ABC and FOX in this market, then they would not technically be lying.

- Merg

17. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    So long as we're parsing out possible lies, let's come closer to home to consider whether the following is a lie: "For customers who live within the designed area of each market, DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC - where available." (D* press release). But in market #71, Honolulu, where D* does deliver HD programming, NBC is available in HD yet not carried in HD.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not sure why you quoted my post. It was more of question as to what exactly DISH had lied about and then what two possible views can be taken from what they said (if I assumed correctly what the OP was posting about).

- Merg

19. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    The issue is the same. A generalization is made, but without an "all" being used explicitly, but an exception is found. Was the generalization a lie, in view of the exception?

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This is not an issue relating to DirecTV. If you wish to discuss DISH Network there is an appropriate forum. If you wish to compare DISH and DirecTV start a thread in the General Satellite forum.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.