1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network lied.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bista-Buster, May 16, 2009.

1. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    I caught Dish Network in a lie. First, Dish said they needed to do a credit check. They said I could get this out of the way and no charges will be made. Well, I got nailed for $99.00 since I didn't want a contract.

I let that one slide by because that fee would be required anyway. This next one won't be.

This is the next one. I asked specifically how much it would cost for me to get two VIP-722 receivers and was told that the first one is free and the second one would carry a lease fee. So, I said, what's my first bill be like and every bill thereafter. It would be $130.00 for the first bill and $65.00 after wards. I agreed to those terms for that is all they told me.

Installer came May 9th and said he was to install a VIP-722, which is great and a 222. I have no idea what a 222 is other than it's not a DVR and it's not what I asked for as well as what was promised to me by Dish. The installer tried to correct this issue but Dish wasn't going to hear about it. The policy is if customer wants another 722, then he pays $200.00 for it. I turned the installer away until I could rectify the problem. Dish's solution to the problem, since it was their mistake and wouldn't admit it, was to decrease the price of $200.00 for the 722 receiver to $100.00 instead. I said, "Are you kidding me?!?" That's the deal. Take it or leave it type of response.

I called the headquarters to complain about this and was offered what I was asking for. I told the person on the line that we're going to play this game my way. I told him first, that I wanted my $99.00 payment that was not authorized returned to me. That one is completed. Also, I wanted this deal that was, once again, offered to me in writing. That way, if down the road, an agent were to bill me for unnecessary fees that wasn't agreed to, I could take them to court and win. This one is still in work.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Curious... did they say they would send it in writing?

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Promises promises promises some people are such dreamers.

4. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    Is it possible that the agent thought you wanted 2 tvs with DVR instead of 2 DVRs for a total of 4 tvs? A request for 2 722s is fairly uncommon and the agent was probably unfamiliar with the procedure. I understand that it stinks to receive misinformation I hope you have this resolved quickly!

5. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    I hope every thing works out for you. Being that you want 2 HD receivers and no contract, I'll be VERY surprised if you don't pay for something.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The max receivers a new Dish customer can get without paying an up-front lease fee for the equipment is a 722 and a 222. If you want to make the 222 another 722, there is always an up-front lease fee. And if you don't accept the contract, you have to pay the $99 activation fee. Both of those are completely normal.

It sounds like you had a sales rep who either didn't know what the limitations were, thought he could get around the system (which is designed specifically to prevent exactly that, and will "correct" a bogus order), or they simply lied to get the sale.

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Additionally, it may be that the OP simply misunderstood.

8. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    How dare you think that someone on the internet could be wrong, HOW DARE YOU.

9. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    There was absolutely no misunderstanding whatsoever. The CSR told me what I wanted to know. This is called baiting a customer and they know it too. They gave me an answer I wanted to hear instead of telling me the truth.

Read this site. It's current and all the way back to 2004.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/dish_network.html

That kind of burst my bubble.

And to all you people who think I'm looking for freebies, I'm not. I'm looking for integrity and honesty. If they had said that it would cost $200.00 more and I wanted it anyway, there would be no problem at all. The lack of information I asked for specifically means to me that they need to honor their error. Plain and simple.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Every person that ever misunderstood something says exactly what you said? :rolleyes:

Also, was it Dish Network on the phone or a representing reseller?

11. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Not surprising. The pathetic way DISH does business and their lying, moronic csr's are the reason I dumped them.

12. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    Please remember that some Dish network employees, including CSR's frequent this site and quite a few of us are honest and intelligent people just trying to make a buck and service our customers. Each day we are yelled at, cursed at, told we are worthless and that's just by our family :< when we get to work our customers are even worse! We do make mistakes and Dish is making leaps and bounds in the area of customer service.

13. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    And yet you continue to post in this Dish forum. :rolleyes:

14. MSoper72

MSoper72 Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    This is why, I, myself, do not deal with a Dish csr. I either do the install myself; which I have the equipment for it or I go around the csr and find someone that is knowledgeable.

15. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I found that the domestic CSRs to be easy to deal with. The problems start when you are dealing with those in off shore locations (Philippines, India). The accents, coupled with not a clear understanding of American English (and slang) leads to a great deal of miscommunication.

A couple weeks ago I called to get BET turned on when it was not activated when the other Viacom HD channel were turned on. I reached one of those off shore CSRs who had absolutely no idea what I was saying; let alone what I wanted them to do. After 15 minutes, I asked for technical support which fortunately was domestic.Even then, it took about 10 minutes to convince him that I was indeed eligible for the channel. The problem? DISH networks myriad of package names which all sound very similar to each other. The bronze, silver, gold, platinum, bronze HD, silver HD, gold HD and platinum HD are difficult for both the customer and DiSH employees to keep straight. Only America's Everything Pack means what it is (even though it does not truly include everything). DISH marketing and programming have failed in this. Yes, there are problematic CSRs, everyone has them, but when you need a spreadsheet to figure out your programming choices, then you know you have a problem.

When DISH had all their CSRs domestically, there were fewer problems. But, in an attempt to save money, they chose to off shore some of their operations. Yet, this tactic, among others, is resulting in losing subscribers and revenue. In the end, this is costing them money.

16. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Even Stevie Wonder knows you pay for a second DVR. You heard what you wanted to hear.

17. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I'm sorry, I didn't observe any posting that you had to be a current DISH subscriber in order to make a comment on this subject.:confused:

18. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    Wish I had a dime for everytime I heard someone say that Dish Lied to them.

But the reality is, that most of the time, it's the customer that only heard what they wanted to hear. Not what was really being said.. I can go through my pitch with a customer, and trust me, I never lie to my prospects, but somehow they managed to take a portion of my statement, compound it with another portion, and come out with something that they want to hear. I can tell a prospect a hundred time that there is a fee that will be due when I install the system, and when I go out to do the install, they will tell me that I didn't tell them about that.. Since I do the sale and do the install, I know what was said. And I can tell you customers just sometimes miss the truth. Or they make it fit into what they want to believe. Their are some very unscrupulous telemarketers out there selling Dish. And they will lie through their teeth to make the sale.. But on the whole most of the Dish CSR's are pretty good. Sometimes they may be misinformed, but they do pretty good with what is asked of them. But having been an independent retailer for more years than I care to remember, I can tell you without a doubt that most of us really do care about our customers, and we don't lie to our customers. Sorry, but I am going to guess that you just mis-understood. DISH doesn't give two VIP 722's for free to a new subscriber.

19. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    And one doesn't need a hook on their fishing line when trolling. :rolleyes:

Virtually all of your posts are trashing Dish. And you think that is contributing how? lol

Bye.

20. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    When there is a lot of trash, it needs to be dumped:lol: