1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Mail Feature

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gpflepsen, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2003 #1 of 12
    gpflepsen

gpflepsen Guest

I've been with Dish Network for almost 6 years. I have never seen the Mail feature active on any of my receivers.

Have they ever used it? Will they ever use it? Why is it there?

2. Feb 4, 2003 #2 of 12
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I was an idea at one time, but then they scrapped it. The only receiver I know with a working mail feature is the Dishplayer (suprisingly that was one of the things that WORKED on the Dishplayer) :D

3. Feb 4, 2003 #3 of 12
    Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    True. Actually was useful the few times they used it (PVR reminder for the first time NBC did the super-sized shows). It was just incoming e-mail notes from Dish only. Outgoing e-mail has never functioned on any receiver (unless you had WebTV on the DP).

4. Feb 4, 2003 #4 of 12
    DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    Had E* since 1997, never got mail :(

5. Feb 4, 2003 #5 of 12
    raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    Speaking of mail, any D* subscribers here ever get messages on their receivers?

6. Feb 4, 2003 #6 of 12
    platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    not in awhile

7. Feb 5, 2003 #7 of 12
    Crazy 1

Crazy 1 Legend

Oct 20, 2002
    I did back in 1996,but it was things like PPV specials like boxing matchs. And then I switched to E* for a while. Since I've come back to D* I haven't seen any.

8. Feb 5, 2003 #8 of 12
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    DirecTv had a lot of emails to customers a couple three years back.

9. Feb 5, 2003 #9 of 12
    KB

KB Guest

On one of the early Charlie Chats, a viewer phoned in with a question about the message feature on the receivers. I cannot remember the exact quote but Charlie pretty much said that feature was not being used since he thought it would cause more questions than benefit. I think he was aware that a lot of D subscribers were not too happy about seeing the message indicator blink and then find some promo for a PPV event or other garbage. When I had D ('98-'99) it was a nuisance, all promos never anything of importance. I have had E since '97 and have never received a message. One benefit would be if they used it to notify subscribers of upcoming free previews of the various movie channels and sporting events, etc.

10. gpflepsen

gpflepsen Guest

I would welcome the use of the mail feature for programming updates. It would be great to get a message telling me this weekend's NBA All Star game is being offered in HD for free on channel 9440.

I would frown on it being used for advertisements or promotional ads. I get enough of that crap on my regular email.

If people don't like the program updates via the mail feature, they can always turn it off and check in manually.

11. Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    KB, you remeber right. Charlie said they had determined that the red light blinking on the receiver to indicate mail had arrived would confuse too many people as too what it meant and they would flood the call center rather than check it themselves. Ha!

12. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    i think they should finally get the "customer support' section to work on their dish interactive channel so i can pay my bill directly on the tV

I'd love to get mail that tells me my bill is due and supply some sort of "link" that i can select from my remote to be taken to the place where I can pay my bill.

I like that possibility..i'ts like being in a hotel, you can view your charges and pay em and not have to talk to or see anyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.