Dish Network New Ad Against DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerM, Mar 20, 2016.

1. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Anyone see that new Dish that says DTV hits you with fees even with their current deals? Just curious doesn't Dish also charge TV fees in addition to their price guarantee?

2. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Let's put it this way. Both companies have fees. We are talking about Directv and it's upgrade fees, downgrade fees, Dvr fee, HD fee, Whole homee DVR fee, RSN Fees, charging $199 and $299 for their DVR's if you are not protection plan subscriber, $15 for a regular remote, $25 for a back lit remote, a protection plan fee. No wonder they made an astonishing $4.7 billion dollar operating profit on $33.3 billion dollars in 2014. In comparison to Bank of America - they have $2 trillion in assets and made a $3 billion profit. In Directv's case it doesn't add up!!

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It adds up as far as the shareholders are concerned.

1 person likes this.
  4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Go eat your dinner trh - no one asked you. Stick with CraigerM's question. Let DIRECTV clean out your pockets then. Always an idiot on here! Geesh...

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And I thought this was an internet forum to discuss topics. No special invitation needed. Or did I miss that rule?

Seems both companies have all kinds of fees. In a WSJ article last year, it discussed how DISH lost a significant number of subscribers, yet their profits doubled. Nice business model. I'm sure their were some fee increases/additions that accounted for part of that doubling.

Let DIRECTV 'clean out my pockets'? Hardly. But aren't you also a DIRECTV subscriber? If you feel their fees are too much, vote with your wallet and cancel DIRECTV.

1 person likes this.
  6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But there's really no need to go directly to them for a remote, I got my RC73 backlit remote for less than that through SolidSignal with Amazon Prime. Regular remotes about $5. I pay for the Protection Plan, but it's optional.

I do admit I'm not a fan of paying an RSN fee for a part time HD channel.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    We all pay the RSN fee even dish customers. Anyone who thinks they aren't are kidding themselves. It's just a matter of how they are getting charged for it and what line item it's hidden in on our bills.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes they do. https://www.mydish.com/support/fees

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  10. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    There is, has been, and always will be fees of some kind on your Directv statement each month...also, if you are especially a long term customer of 3 or more years,
    as I have been for 16 years (since 2000) you can call and get some great discounts on your bill...right now I am getting $1o each month for 12 months, $5 each month for 6 months, $24 credit (6x4) for HBO,CINEMAX,STARZ,SHOWTIME premium channels...in other words $39 per month in credits right now..when one of these credits expire,
    I call and can get a new credit for what is going on at that time and drop any premium channel not getting credit for at that time..just patience and looking at your bill each month..

11. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    So every time you log in there's an idiot on here.

Coincidence?

3 people like this.
  12. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Read the fine print, Dish has a 3 Year Price lock but is is only for Core Programming.
    It also has a Two Year contract required to get the 3 year price lock.
    They also have Free HD for Life so they can't add that fee.
    This means Dish can raise the Lease Fees after your Two year contract is up on Year Three.
    Only the future will tell. Fees could go up later, Programing fees CAN NOT go up.
    You can also call and get HBO half price price locked at $7.50 right now. If HBO goes up $1 next year for everyone it will then be $8.00 or what ever half price is.

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dish did except for the one on the 211(?), model may be wrong, but fee is there for it and is a one-time fee.
    All other boxes do not have a EHD fee.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, the 3 year deal requires a 2-year contract. So at the end of 2 years, if some fees went up to much you can switch or negotiate. Not a big deal and the overall 3 year price lock deal is still a great deal.

HBO everyday price for Dish is $10, and that is not time limited. Of course that could change in the future as we all know, neither Dish nor Direct have a defined timeframe in mind for those things that are 'soon', or 'free HD for Life'.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Most advertising seems to be accurate and misleading.
    Accurate in that if you pay attention to what is said the claim is correct.
    Misleading in what isn't said.
    It has been a long time since advertising didn't come with asterisks.

1 person likes this.
  16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm pretty old and can't remember when advertising was any different

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It's always been the same.

And for anyone complaint about the number of different fees dtv charges consider you probably have an older account. There's three fees that are now just one fee on people's bills.

I can't in good Conscience ever call the RSN fee an actual fee. That's a programming cost that is used to balance out different markets. It's either that or have different prices for basic packages for every region.

Really DirecTV only has two fees anymore. DVR if you have a DVR anywhere in the system. And an outlet fee.

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sure you can call the RSN fee a fee, that is what it is. It is no different than the RSN and local access fees some cable companies charge. Package x cost $$ plus an additional RSN fee of $.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The RSN fee (and locals fee that some cable companies charge) help balance out the differences between local markets - otherwise if there was a single national price people in the middle of nowhere that pay little for RSNs and locals would be subsidizing customers in places like LA and NYC. But it also exists as a way to advertise a lower package price, and minimize increases in the package price. Sure, if your package goes up $2, your RSN goes up $2 and your locals goes up $2 you pay $6 more, but the advertised package price only raises by $2 so it compares more favorably to others who do the same.

I've got Mediacom for cable, and my locals fee is now over SEVEN DOLLARS! I guess either the local stations in my market have been very successfully in asking for more money, or Mediacom is hiding other fees in that line item. Maybe they are including the cost of infrastructure they use to deliver the locals, and the cost to produce/deliver public access channels like the one that show city council meetings etc. The RSN fee is exactly the same as what Directv charges for the RSN fee in my zip, so I guess they aren't gouging there.

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Depending on which of their social media guys you believe or read, the Mediacom local fee is either paying all of what the locals charge or additional fees that happened sometime after some unspecified time.

Personally @$7 I think you are paying the total local fee.