1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Newbe reception issue

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bredusa, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bredusa

bredusa New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    I Just switched from U-verse to Dish and have noticed that the picture I am getting on my HD TV has less definition. I've tried adjusting my TV settings and have not been able to get the same HD picture quality. I have a 722K receiver running the HD TV and one SD TV. The cable comes directly from the dish to a grounding block (which was not grounded by the way) to a modual on hanging behind the receiver which has one in put and three outputs. Only two of the outputs are in use and go to the two satellite in connections.

If I had to describe it the Verse looked like you were actually there on many stations such a fox and Discovery and the pay channels when now with Dish it looks dull with lack of definition and depth in the picture?????

I am in Connecticut. I switched based on the comparison of packages available and expecting a better picture from satellite.

Can anyone comment on what the issue is or is it that the picture I should expect from the dish satellite is less than that of U-verse?

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    How is the receiver connected to the TV? Also make sure the setting in menu-6-8 is set to 1080i and 16x9.

I don't know what Uverse broadcasts in, but we go up to 1080i on live programming.

3. bredusa

bredusa New Member

Apr 25, 2011

From the Satellite to the receiver is RG6 cable. from the receiver to the my HD TV I have a High speed HDMI cable. Also the settings in the box are 1080I and 16X9.

4. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    and the menu-6-8 settings are correct?

5. bredusa

bredusa New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Yes they are 1080i and 16X9

6. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    You shouldn't be seeing any picture degradation. Does this happen on all channels?

Like I mentioned, I don't know what Uverse broadcasts in, so I couldn't give any comparison.

7. bredusa

bredusa New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Generally yes. But as you know different channels provide different pictures. That is why I tried to compare the discovery channel and fox network. they are tow of my most watched stations. Could it have something to do with the angle of the Dish itself?

Don't get me wrong I am not getting signal interruption. It is just not of the HD quality that I am used to. It seems dull. This was expressed by my wife and daughter also at different times.

8. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    If the dish was out of alignment, you would get pixelation, along with signal loss messages. Re-aiming the dish will not make a difference in this case.

You do subscribe to HD programming, right?

9. bredusa

bredusa New Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Yes I currently am subscribed to the 120 channel HD for life package with free showtime and dish platinum for three months so I have a number of station to choose from.

I have an lg 47lh90 LED HD TV which has excellent adjust ability so I am positive that from the receiver to the display is fine I have tried the standard user modes I have tried adjusting in expert mode as I had done when I had U verse and there is nothing I can do to the TV to improve the picture so that is why I am perplexed at why I am not getting a crisp picture.

Is there anything you can suggest trying? I have been a customer less than a week.

10. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    Send me your phone number or account number in a PM.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Make sure you are actually tuned to an HD channel.

You could be watching the SD version of a channel instead of the HD one.

The HD channels are noted in the EPG and also on the channel banner once you have tuned to one.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Uverse/Fios and Directv can all offer you better HD than DISH. Fios and Uverse due to fiber optics have more bandwidth than DISH so they CAN but not always will give better picture quality. DISH uses compression in the broadcast to get more channels so it is a balancing act quality vs. quantity. You are now under a 24 mo. contract which might be too expensive to get out of, but if you want Uverse quality your only choice is switch back.

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If some say the picture quality is better on some channels, sometimes, on Direct or Uverse, (And I have seen Uverse many times in New Britain, Direct all the time) I might agree. But in no way, at least to my eyes is it a night and day difference, and not all the time. My whole family thinks the history channel looks a little better on Dish than Uverse. (Specifically came up during the Ice Road Truckers when they were in India) And most everyone thinks the locals look a little better on Direct especially for some reason the local CBS. But again, not night and day.

14. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    I am honestly not trying to pile on or cause any trouble here, but my wife and I have noticed the same exact thing when comparing DirecTV HD PQ to Dish HD PQ. Your "it seems dull" characterization is pretty much the same thing we have recently experienced after we switched to Dish. I have commented on this at length in my "Dumping DirecTV & Signing Up with Dish" thread ... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=192251 ... starting on page 2 of that thread.

I also acknowledge that there is a fair amount of variability of PQ on a variety of HD channels (and perhaps for a lot of good reasons, including on DirecTV), so our observations and comments more fairly pertain to an "on average" basis between the two providers.

The bottom-line IMO is that you (nor we), are imagining this comparative HD PQ issue. That said, I also believe that this is a "it is what it is" situation, so we have elected to just live with it and get used to it over time.

Good luck,
    Don

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As harsh noted on the other thread:
    There's always going to be differences, but if a provider runs gamma and chroma heavy and you change to one that doesn't you're going to see a difference. To some extent, you can compensate by resetting your TV/monitor.

If you wander into an A/V center (WalMart or somewhere) and compare TV's showing the same signal you immediately see remarkable differences. My personal tastes shy away from contrasty intense colors and brightness. While I found the "CSI:Miami" oversaturation "look" interesting when it first appeared, I don't like it. I really don't like HD video as compared to film. But many, many people would disagree with my taste.

Using Nick's posts here at HDNet Test Pattern Schedule, I check my calibration about every six months. But there is such a variation from channel-to-channel and from show-to-show on the same channel, I'm never happy.;)

16. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    *EDIT* - posted in wrong thread

:uglyhamme

17. DEC

DEC Legend

Jan 6, 2008
    With all due respect, I can't see how the "one and done" outages yesterday have anything to do with what this thread is actually about.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    THIS is something a lot of people don't take into account.

For all the standards out there... there really is no agreed-upon standard for various levels of gamma, saturation, etc...

When I used to have Time Warner analog cable... my TV needed to be calibrated differently than just switching to digital cable on Time Warner... and again when we tried DirecTV.

In my current home I've only ever had Dish... but I have to assume if I switched to DirecTV or cable again, I would potentially need to re-adjust some settings for the best picture quality.

Back in the analog cable days, around here they used to really crank up the reds... and you got nasty bleed and red snow if you didn't adjust your TV to compensate. I remember going to a friend's house and re-adjusting his TV and he was amazed at how much better his picture quality was after just a few tweaks.

19. MattG@DISH Network

Jan 6, 2011
    PEBKAC

Posted in the wrong thread :nono2:

Sorry:icon_stup