1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network(R) Introduces TV Everywhere(TM)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1 of 19
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    [​IMG]

New Products on Display at CES Include TV Everywhere Adapter --World's Smallest Slingbox Adds Sling Technology to DISH Network HD DVR Receivers

LAS VEGAS, Jan 06, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., America's fastest growing pay-TV provider, today introduced TV Everywhere(TM) -- a unique suite of integrated products designed to maximize the convenience and ease of watching TV anytime and anywhere.

"DISH Network is proud to introduce the first and only comprehensive solution for consumers to pay once for content and then remain connected to their TV everywhere," said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. "DISH Network customers will be able to enjoy their favorite live and recorded shows throughout their home and on the go, using the same program guide, menu and navigation they are familiar with on their home TV."

TV Everywhere(TM) from DISH Network provides customers with access to all their live and recorded programming on a laptop, mobile device, or anywhere in the home wirelessly. Key components of TV Everywhere(TM) include the TV Everywhere Adapter; the award-winning ViP(R) 922; the new DISH Network WiFi HD Monitor; and the newly-released DISH Remote Access App.

Add TV Everywhere(TM) with the TV Everywhere Adapter -- the World's Smallest Slingbox
    Developed in partnership with EchoStar Technologies L.L.C. and its affiliate Sling Media, Inc., the TV Everywhere Adapter adds Slingbox technology to existing DISH Network HD DVR receivers such as the ViP(R) 722k. The TV Everywhere Adapter is a sleek, ultra-slim device that easily connects to compatible set-top boxes via a single USB cable, removing the need for additional wires or a separate power supply. Once activated, the TV Everywhere Adapter provides DISH Network customers with the freedom to watch their favorite TV programming anytime and anywhere on laptops and mobile phones.

Watch Your TV Everywhere(TM) with the Award-Winning ViP(R) 922
    DISH Network's award-winning HD DuoDVR(TM) ViP(R) 922 with TV Everywhere(TM), the world's only DVR with built-in Slingbox technology, allows customers to watch and control their favorite programs anytime and anywhere on their laptop or mobile device. The ViP(R) 922 features a 1 TB hard drive with up to 1,000 hours of recording time -- the largest hard drive in the industry.

Enjoy TV Everywhere(TM) in Your Home with the DISH Network WiFi Monitor
    The DISH Network WiFi Monitor, a lightweight, portable, high-definition monitor developed by Sling Media, is the only free-standing monitor available today that can wirelessly transmit an HD video signal from a set-top box to anywhere in the home via a WiFi network. Designed as a companion product to the TV Everywhere Adapter and the ViP(R) 922, the WiFi Monitor offers a 16 x 9 widescreen format that displays 720p HD quality and controls all features of a connected DISH Network HD DVR receiver, including viewing live TV as well as viewing and managing DVR recordings.

Manage Your TV Everywhere(TM) with the DISH Remote Access Mobile App
    DISH Network continues to lead the industry in offering fully-featured remote DVR scheduling technology. The DISH Remote Access App, compatible with most SD and HD DISH DVR receivers, is the first and only app that offers satellite TV customers complete control of their TV everywhere. Users can set and delete timers on multiple receivers; browse and search nine days of shows; and manage their DVR library by setting recording priorities, resolving recording conflicts and deleting programs they have already watched. An added bonus, the DISH Remote Access App also includes a unique feature that transforms an iPhone(TM) or iPod touch(R) into a remote control for televisions connected to compatible DISH Network receivers. Customers without an iPhone or iPod touch can still enjoy all DISH Remote Access benefits through the web browser on their PC or mobile device.

The DISH Remote Access App is now available for free for both the iPhone and iPod touch and can be downloaded from the App Store(SM). DISH Network expects to launch the TV Everywhere Adapter, the ViP(R) 922 and the WiFi Monitor in the second quarter of 2010.

DISH Network will provide demonstrations of all TV Everywhere(TM) products at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Jan. 7-10. DISH Network's booth, #9021, is located at the front of the Central Hall.

About DISH Network Corporation
    DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14 million satellite TV customers as of Dec. 10, 2009, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP(R) 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine "Editors' Choice." DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com, follow on Twitter, @dishnetwork (www.twitter.com/dishnetwork), or become a Fan on Facebook, www.facebook.com/dishnetwork.

About Sling Media, Inc.
    Sling Media, Inc., an affiliate of EchoStar Technologies L.L.C., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq: SATS), is the leading provider of video placeshifting products and services for consumers and television service providers. Sling Media's product family includes the internationally acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox(TM) that allows consumers to watch and control their living room television shows at any time, from any location, using PCs, Macs, PDAs and smartphones. For more information, visit www.slingmedia.com.

Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, iPod touch, and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.

SOURCE DISH Network Corporation
    Copyright (C) 2010 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

2. Jan 6, 2010 #2 of 19
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Hold on, didn't they have this on display last year at CES and wasn't it to be released last year? I thought CES was all about the new stuff, not the stuff recycled from last year.

3. Jan 6, 2010 #3 of 19
    farmerdave4

farmerdave4 Mentor

Apr 19, 2007
    I had finally decided I cannot wait for a 922 to get sling and was going to buy one this week. Now an adapter is coming. Have they said when and cost? I see the word activated. Buss word a fee like adding a external hard drive. I wonder if this will be a one time or monthly fee. :mad:

4. Jan 6, 2010 #4 of 19
    newsman

newsman Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    I wonder if it will be like the fee of adding on an external HD to a 211. Just a one time fee. If that is the case, well... I'll consider it. If it's a monthly fee. No thanks. I'm tired of fees, especially if you have to buy/lease equipment. I own my receivers.

5. Jan 6, 2010 #5 of 19
    Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I'm currently a FiOS TV subscriber but when the VIP 922 is finally released with its HD interface, 1TB hard drive, supported external storage, and PIP, Dish Network will be very, very tempting again.

Personally I don't care about the TV Anywhere concept - I only watch TV at home. But the iPhone app for managing Dish DVRs remotely sounds appealing.

6. Jan 6, 2010 #6 of 19
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    OK, well I'm waiting for one of these devices to appear somewhere for sale or lease. I suppose they'll look good at CES, some for the second year in a row.:sure:

7. Jan 6, 2010 #7 of 19
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Currently we can only have one device connected to a USB port. SO what happens with the DISH Anywhere adapter? Does this mean that you can have a DISH Anywhere adapter but not an external HD? Or vice versa?

8. Jan 6, 2010 #8 of 19
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Good question. I might want to watch something on my EHD through the Anywhere adapter.

Of course, the 622/722/722k's all have two USB ports - one in the back and one in the front. So who knows what they have in mind. Of course, they don't meet the new higher speed USB 3.0 standard which would seem like an advantage in streaming HD content around the house.

9. Jan 6, 2010 #9 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    They mentioned only 722k.

10. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Looks to me DISH is taking the wireless MRV (multi-room viewing) route. I wonder how reliable it is.

DirecTV is going to roll out their own MRV soon but hardwired. Uverse already has hardwired MRV.

11. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    I wonder if they plan on porting their iPhone app to Android or Windows Mobile phones. Not every has (or wants) an iPhone. Sure, I can use the web browser on my Droid to do the same thing, but couldn't iPhone users have done the same thing?

On the point someone made about multiple USB connections, I wouldn't be too worried. The limitation of one EHD shouldn't have anything to do with plugging some other kind of USB device in. What happens now when you plug in a thumb-drive and a EHD at the same time? I guess I should give that a try. However, don't the 622/722 boxes just have one USB port on front and one on back?

Jeff

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I don't understand the "monitor". It sounds like some sort of screen, but how big? And
    makes it sound more like some sort of transmitter, but then what's up with the 16x9 format. Do you need a receiver then?

13. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I think that the press release is just poorly worded; the monitor is a wireless receiver, not transmitter.

According to Multichannel News, the monitor has a 720p 15.6" display. Not very big but it would be cool for a home office. Perhaps they'll add larger monitors over time...

http://www.multichannel.com/article..._EchoStar_Sling_Up_TV_Everywhere_Strategy.php

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, just poorly worded press release info.

FYI, you might (or maybe not) be surprised how many press releases are cut/copy/paste from old/legacy material.

A company I worked for notoriously used old press releases to modify for new products... picking one that was similar and then changing a few words. As a Technical Writer my group was theoretically supposed to be on the CC/review list for these things, but officially we had no responsibility for them since they came out of the marketing dept instead of engineering.

That said... I tried to read them whenever I got wind of one, because there were some glaringly bad or wrong or misleading statements in many of them that really needed to be caught!

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My guess is it should be at least as reliable as other wireless products are in your home. I have intermittent issues with my iMac and iPhone seeing my router. Sometimes it is the computer, but other times it is due to the large number of neighbors I have around me also with wireless and interference.

16. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    My guess is a 1080i data flow for reliable TV viewing is much more demanding than watching YouTube online. Of course even with hardwired MRV you run into issues.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's this guy or something like it:

[​IMG]

Thing is, I'm viewing this thread on a 25" monitor. I sure don't want to watch TV on something smaller.

Up to this point, Sling called this "Place shifting." See this Sling web site covering the subject.

But here's the catch. Comcast and Time Warner have been working on their "TV Everywhere" program (Google: TV Everywhere Comcast) for about a year and what they've created is Public interest groups call for antitrust probe of TV Everywhere:
    At the same time in an article about Dish and CES 2010 we read (emphasis in bold added):
    Ah yes, Charlie, we can't do anything without risking getting into a fight.:sure:

But "TV Everywhere" is more eye-catching than "Place Shifting." But these folks own "TV Anywhere" via copyright so I'm not sure about all this.

I'm just waiting until the 922 moves from vaporware to something available to the public generally.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I've been trying to find some specs... but since 2007/2008 folks have been talking about WHDMI (wireless HDMI) that is supposed to be capable of supporting 1080p at 60Hz.

Now I don't know what Sling/Dish is implementing in the 922, the monitor, or other devices... but it sounds to me like the technology is possible. The question is what will Dish be using... WHDMI or Sling technology... and if Sling technology, will it be reduced resolution/bitrate for the wireless connection.

19. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    At the Sling 150 15" screen size, does not matter, but for Sling 300 to be true of its claim, yes it matters a lot, unless of course it really means screen size no more than 30":)