1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Repair service?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Milleruszk, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1 of 13
    Milleruszk

Milleruszk Mentor

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi,

I have had Dish for about 3 years now and have never had a service problem. I guess I have been lucky! Last Sunday I lost all of my channels on Sat 110 and 119. Sat 61.5 still worked. I have three boxes a 510, 311 and 722. The 722 box was still able to access the HD channels. The 311 and 510 could access very few channels. The System info shows a red X through Sat 110 and 119. However when you run system check under "Point Dish" it will show a green line for Sat 110, 119 and 61.5 with signal strength in the 70s. This seems to have the Dish repair man stumped? He changed the switch but the problem remains. Now he says it is the LNB. My system check says my LNB is -8. He didn't have one in his truck so he is going to change it tomorrow. Does any of this make any sense. This is the second repair guy I have come since Sunday. I just want to get everything back to where it was. Dish is charging me $49.95 for the service call. Thanks for your help.:nono2:

2. Jun 4, 2009 #2 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes

3. Jun 4, 2009 #3 of 13
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The "-8" is the drift value. The LNB's timing circuitry, which allows it to lock on to the satellite signal, is drifting out of synch. A drift value of 8 is bad; it's about where you start to lose lock, so given that, your system is working as I'd expect it to (i.e., it isn't).

4. Jun 4, 2009 #4 of 13
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    And the $49 charge is actually a discount. Normally it's $99.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #5 of 13
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes, this does sounds precisly like a lnb problem. The only thing that stumps me about this is if the tech read the workorder for you job before he left the shop, he would have thown a lnb in his truck before he headed your way. If he knew what he was doing.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #6 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Not in my part of the world where the tech reads the workorder after asking me "what's the problem?":rolleyes:

7. Jun 4, 2009 #7 of 13
    Milleruszk

Milleruszk Mentor

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks guys! I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow. I pointed out to the first repair man about the LNB drift and he said that it wasn't important and proceeded to change the connections on the switch. Strangely, for what ever reason, my signal came back for the day. When I called the repair shop to have another service call, I had tell them again what problem I was having. When I told the girl who answered the phone that I had lost most of my channels, she asked me what they could do for me!

I agree with some of the other posters that most of these repair men do not seem to know what they are doing.

The only TV service calls I have had in the past were with the cable company. I never had to pay them. It is good to know that paying $49.00for a satellite service call would not be considered a rip off. It still rubs me the wrong way that I have to pay Dish to come and fix their equipment.

8. Jun 4, 2009 #8 of 13
    BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    I went on a service call last week and the LNB Drift was 8. I couldn't remember what the latest acceptable value was so I called Tech. Support. I was told that the LNB Drift number did not mean anything any longer and to disregard it. I thought I would change the LNB anyway. When I went out to the dish I noticed a low hanging tree limb that appeared to be partially blocking the 110 satellite. Customer trimmed tree and have not heard back from him since. Check for tree blockage.

9. Jun 6, 2009 #9 of 13
    Milleruszk

Milleruszk Mentor

Apr 11, 2005
    Finally, after 3 different repairmen and numerous phone calls, my service is back to normal. The last guy changed the LNB and that did the trick.

10. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    I thought that if there was a part that needed to be replaced that the service call was free? Am I wrong about this? When I had to have service as long as it was there equipment it was covered as a free call. :confused:

11. scoobyxj

scoobyxj Godfather

Apr 15, 2008
    Who ever told you that is bogus! Depending on the instrument used (IE Super Sat Buddy) anything over 2000 on the Frequency Deviation indicates drift. If the receiver indicates drift in the details screen it's drifting, and needs replaced. I find once it starts getting up close to 7/-7 it starts causing problems. Something else to remember is a LNB that indicates all is good may start drifting in temp extremes (IE at night when it gets cold, or in the heat of the day). Also (FYI) if you got some bad coax in your system it can show as drift too.

12. Milleruszk

Milleruszk Mentor

Apr 11, 2005
    I emailed Dish about the LNB repair and they replied that I still had to pay for the service call. Like I originally said this was the first time that I had to have a Dish service call. I was used to dealing with the Cable Company where almost all service calls are free.

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Nope. if all it is is a receiver and the rep ships it, it's free with DHPP. If a tech shows up, no matter the reason now, you have to pay, unless you whine hard enough.