DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Nov 7, 2019.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today reported revenue totaling $3.17 billion for the quarter ending September 30, 2019, compared to $3.40 billion for the corresponding period in 2018.

Net income attributable to DISH Network totaled $353 million for the third quarter 2019, compared to net income of $432 million from the year-ago quarter. Diluted earnings per share for the quarter ending September 30, 2019 were $0.66, compared with $0.82 during the same period in 2018.

The company closed the third quarter with 12.18 million total Pay-TV subscribers, including 9.49 million DISH TV subscribers and 2.69 million Sling TV subscribers.

Net pay-TV subscribers increased approximately 148,000 subscribers in the third quarter, compared to a decline of approximately 341,000 in the third quarter 2018.

Year-to-Date Review
    DISH Network's 2019 year-to-date revenue totaled $9.57 billion, compared to $10.31 billion in revenue from the same period last year. In the first nine months of 2019, net income attributable to DISH Network totaled $1.01 billion, compared with $1.24 billion during the same period last year.

Diluted earnings per share were $1.91 for the first nine months of 2019, compared with $2.35 during the same period in 2018.

Detailed financial data and other information are available in DISH Network's Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2019 filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

2. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Includes:
    Addition of approximately 148,000 net Pay-TV subscribers
    Loss of approximately 66,000 net DISH TV subscribers
    Addition of approximately 214,000 net Sling TV subscribers
    Pay-TV ARPU of $85.29
    Gross new DISH TV subscriber activations of approximately 416,000

Poorsha likes this.
  3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I read Sling TV, owned by Dish picked up over 200K in new subs, even though Dish is down. Dish is looking at the future.

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's gains in Sling TV (streaming) have certainly helped offset their losses over the past few years on the satellite side. This quarter's low level of satellite subscriber loss and higher level of Sling TV gain (more net customers gained in 3Q than in all of 2018) make for a nice trend - satellite losses leveling off. Projected through the end of the year:
    dish19-3Q.png
    (DISH TV satellite subscribers as the lower red line. Total PAY TV including Sling TV as the upper blue line.)

Meanwhile AT&T|DIRECTV is not going the right direction. Heavy subscriber loss on the satellite side (now reported with numbers combined with UVERSE) and no offsetting gains on the streaming side. Projected through the end of the year:
    att19-3Q.png
    (DIRECTV Satellite starting in 1994 with the total DTV+UVERSE starting in 2006. DTV satellite was not reported separately in 2019. The lower light blue line is UVERSE alone. The lower green line is DIRECTV NOW/ATT NOW streaming.)

5. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The low satellite subscriber loss suggests to me that the Sinclair Fox RSN dispute/takedown isn't much of a factor. I won't be surprised if Charlie just drops them completely like he did HBO...

sparky27 likes this.
  6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Dish has the choice, keep agreeing to pay more and more and raise the price to the subs, or put their foot down. Where is the limit on these increases? Will the bill in another 5 years be $200, in 10 years, $300? Programming is already too expensive.

NYDutch likes this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I wonder how many subscribers DISH lost due to dropping HBO? I wish I still had it but I agree with Charlie's decision. It would be ridiculous to pay ATT for subscribers you don't have, which is apparently what ATT was demanding. From what I read in the business press HBO has not paid off for ATT like they expected. Good! When they get real about what they charge for the service I'd love to have it back on DISH but I'm living fine without it for now. FYI, I did subscribe to HBO GO for the final Game of Thrones episodes but cancelled as soon as they were over.

gregleg likes this.
  8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I agree - except for news and weather, absolutely nothing is "must see TV". There are entertainment shows that I like to watch, but the world wouldn't come to an end if they weren't available.