1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network should be sued for False advertisement

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Msguy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I recently saw a very lengthy Dish Network advertisement where Dish Network claimed to offer "All of the big matchups" sportswise. This is false. The truth is that with Dish Network you will only receive the games that appear on your local channels or your area's local Regional Sports Network, or games that appear only 2 times a week on ESPN. You will not receive an NFL Game or Baseball game of your choice. Dish Network needs to get real and stop these false advertisements because you will NOT receive "All" of the "Big" matchups on Dish Network. That advertisement is false and Dish Network needs to just quit saying it. The only provider where you can see "Every" big game is on DirecTv. Nice Try Dish, But we are on to ya!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I appreciate what you've said (three or four times in the same paragraph), but DIRECTV doesn't carry every broadcast of every game either. To be sure, you chances of catching every broadcast (significant or otherwise) are better with DIRECTV, but they aren't assured.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I thought the same thing when I saw the commercial. I thought wow are some gonna be mad when they realize that they really wont get hardly any of the top games lol. We all know that E* does not want to appeal to the sports fan so why are they trying so hard in their commercials?

Is that what they really want is unhappy customers as soon as they sign up cause the commercial says something they have no intention of fulfilling? No wonder they are losing customers.

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    :nono2::nono2:

Don't feed the trolls, kids.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Huh? Aren't about 2/3 of Dish channels sport based? Personally I think they have way too many sports channels.

6. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize you got every every every single game with D*. I better go jump ship right now.... Ya right!

So you have NFL Sunday Ticket.... Which you pay for until you bleed from all extremities......having said that what about Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday? You think maybe your just being a troll right now?

Do yourself a favor and watch the tone of your response because I don't like trolls much.

7. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Actually "we are on to ya" troll-bait. Nice try though. Climb back under that bridge you live under and keep rooting for those Cubs. Maybe they will win it all about the time you get a clue!

8. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    A lawsuit would never get off the ground. The ad doesn't promise "all of the matchups"; it promises "all of the big matchups".

Who defines which matches are "the big" ones? It's subjective. Maybe they think the games they carry are "all of the big matchups". Obviously you may believe something else.

Good luck with that one.

9. ehb224

ehb224 Legend

Apr 3, 2008
    I agree with this completely!

10. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    DISH Network doesn't provide one of the RSNs in my area, YES. So, since the Yankees are very much in contention, while my lowly Mets flounder (available from DISH) the notion that they would provide me with best/big match-ups from an MLB perspective is laughable. But, I would hope any savvy consumer doesn't take advertising claims at face value and does some research. They'd find Sports is the primary focus with DIRECTV, while DISH Network focuses on other things. Didn't take me but a few seconds to come to that conclusion when I chose my satellite provider. Don't know why it would be any different for anyone else.

11. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Sports fans are like "Apple" fans.... Like a religion to some.

I'm all for giving sports fans ALL they want... Just don't ask me to keep subsidizing your habit.

12. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Well I would like to know how much Dish Network is forking out in the add I saw. I bet they talked for more than 3 minutes about How Dish Network would provide me with "The Best Sports Matchups" and The Lowest Prices. The fact remains the add is completely false. Dish Network is not going to save me any money in the long run because after a certain amount of time the price goes back to the regular price of the programming. In fact Dish Network would not provide me with any of the Sports I want to see because I wouldn't be able to watch every game i wanted to from the area in the country that I live in. They provide no out of market games unless like i said in a previous post you receive a game on ESPN, ESPN 2, your local Regional Sports Network, or a Local Channel. They just don't provide all the games and I don't see how they can claim they can provide "All the Big" Matchups. It is false and downright laughable. :lol: DirecTv does provide about 95% of All NFL and MLB Games available. It's crazy advertising and totally false.

13. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    E* provides no out of market games? That is the biggest lie that has been said in this thread all day. Just because they do not provide the out of market games you want to see does not mean that they do not provide any. As for E* providing all the big games, I would say that there is truth to that. In MY definiton of "big" games", that would include my local teams and playoff/championship games. E* is able to provide that to me. Sunday ticket is for the little games buddy, With Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, Flex Schedule and the like Sunday Ticket does not provide as much value as it used to but the price keeps going up. In my house I get the big games and I miss the little games and save the nearly $400 in Sunday ticket/Superfan fees.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Uh...advertising. Yeah, there's a pure source of accuracy on any subject.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Well lets see what they dont carry that I would miss.

1. No FSN for Oklahoma so none of the new NBA Thunder's games but D* has it.
    2. No NFL Sunday Ticket but D* has it.
    3. No MLB EI but D* has it.
    4. No exclusive coverage of the Grand Slam events in Tennis but D* has it and yes I do watch this.
    5. No exclusive coverage of the Major Golf Tourny's that D* has.
    6. No DNS feeds for sports coverage from locals if they dont have them in your market.

Need I go on. Fact is for someone like me or any big sports fan E* just will not do.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don't even know what any of those are, so I certainly don't need any of them. This goes back to a point I've made before. There should be a sports nuts package and a general entertainment package. I shouldn't have to pay for 100 channels or more that I will never view.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats kind of the point. Why would you since you are a E* customer. You dont even know what your missing. Might of got a better value had you known that before signing up with E*.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Advertising is nearly always exaggeration, no matter who is doing the advertising.

It would be very hard to disprove "all the big matchups" because who defines "big" in that context?

Even without MLB Extra Innings, Dish will have a lot of games during the season... and the playoffs + World Series games (definitely "big" matchups) will all be televised on normal channels that Dish carries.

Same goes for the NFL. For NBA and NHL, Dish does carry those season passes... and they have the ESPN Gameplan for college.

Granted it's an exaggeration... but also true is that NFL Network replays games all week from the past weekend... so if you don't want to spring for Sunday Ticket and can wait a few days, you'll see most of the weekend's games eventually that way.

Frankly, I have a hard time with any company calling out another company for "false" advertising... and similarly any consumer who wants to chastise Dish while praising DirecTV has me wondering. It's not like either company has been historically above inflating their channel counts or descriptions.

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It's not like any company, anywhere has been historically above inflating or exaggerating their products or services.

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I would agree with that. I dont agree with alot of the Cable commercials here but they really dont exagerate they just expose their strong areas and dont talk about their weak areas.

An example is the Cable co here has been advertising that the cable dont go out when it rains which is true for the most part, that they have locals channels which is true, and also they say why should you have to pay the more to watch the same channels. That is where I disagree. Of course there are some channels that both carry but with the Cable co here only carrying about 60 channels not counting extra tiers how can they really compare to that statement?

Unless you carry the family package with D* then you would have alot more channels then the Cable co here and if you had the Family pack then you would be saving alot more money then any package you could go with from my local Cable co.

I did not agree that E* should be sued but do agree that the commercial is more or less incorrect but as everyone has stated its up to perception. I think with carrying the playoffs for the major sports that kind of covers them but I dont really think that Sports fans were thinking that when they saw the commercial either.

The thing is they were marketing to the sports fan there and what they were saying would not probably deliver to the sports fan they were trying to reach. What if someone signs up that E* dont even have their locals? Then that commercial is really not true. With NFL ST and MLB EI you can get the games you want. Before anyone says it I did not have a single game blacked out on ST last year. Not one!