1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network to no longer provide Starband

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Richard King, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Where exactly did this information come from?

3. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    An e-mail to Starband dealers at 6:37 this evening.

4. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Well that is certainly a surprise.:eek:
    I wonder whats up, sounds like they droped them like a hot potatoe.

Anymore info Richard?

5. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Suprise? With StarBand's difficulty they'll be totally dead soon.

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Thanks for the info. I bet that could be a real pain for both installers and customers having yet another dish to deal with.

7. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Updated Information.....

8. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Im getting confiused.

Does this mean they changed their mind? Or was their first email an April fools joke?

9. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    No, Richards last post just states that exisiting customers can continue to use 1 dish for both services.

10. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Then why did they origional say...

This can no longer be a single antenna installation; installations of the StarBand service must be on a different antenna than the antenna used for DISH Network's video service.... ????

Im confused :)

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I wonder how much longer SBs going to be around. I cant say I never expected this becasue I knew something like this would happen, it was only a matter of time something major would happedn to SB becasue of their lack of subs and revenue.

12. Guest

Sounds like its pre-merger activity. They certainly can't support both Starband and Directway, especially since Starband (Gilat) is an outside company.

13. Guest

Will this have any affect on Philadelphia networks on 129?

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I dont see why it would

15. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Dish has to be careful, because until the merger is approved, they legally are not supposed to do anything different as if they were a merged company. When I worked at a company that was going to be bought by GE, we had people in some dive of a office in Singapore and there was a nice GE office across the street and they were not allowed to reside in the building until the merger was approved.

Of course if the actions can be justified under the "Just Echostar" way of doing things, it would not be a problem. Maybe this was going to happen even without a merger???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.