1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network USB QAM Tuner?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by tylorert, Oct 24, 2018.

1. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Hello everyone! Havent been around in a longggg timeeee. So, the other day I went to my local recycle center and found a box full of Wallys. The thing that caught my attention was the USB dongle (I grabbed it thinking it was a OTA dongle) but I came to realize its a QAM tuner. After doing some digging online, I cannot find any information on this thing! Its like it never existed! I pluged it into my PC running Windows 10 Developer Preview and figured out its a Happauge Win-TV-soloHD DVB-C and DVB-T Tuner. After playing around with it I cant get any channels (connected to an antenna) and also realized that it doesn't* support United States frequency's. Does anyone know what this is?
    Thanks -Tylor :)

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a special tuner used for DISH's QAM based system. You would need to connect it to a DISH QAM headend (normally dound in an MDU).

3. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    This is really interesting. There is very little information about this. What does it do for a common consumer? Why was is pared with Wally's?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    US TV stations using 8VSB modulation so DVB-T/T2 doesn't work here; your only chance use it - to try cable signals, FreeQAM.
    Could you post pictures of the box, if possible internal PCB both sides.

5. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Sure! Id love to share as much information about this as I can! This is a very unique find. Ill post pics later when im home. Ill play around with this on a Comcast cable line. (I dont receive cable TV through them, just internet. I like their internet for the reliability and speed for hosting servers) Also, wasn't Comcast supposed to install filters on the cable line to restrict certain frequencies/functions? I dont have in the home or outside in the service box or on the pole. Could be why Im getting 200Mbps down rather than the 100 im paying for. Hmmm

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sometimes it's missing, especially when a technician not sure why its signal degradating too much
    just run full scan - sometimes there is no channel, but some audio or technical "leftovers" transmitting there; this status could be changed next day, BTW

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no, filters shouldn't affect
    perhaps your modem support bonding or have enable it accidently ;)

8. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Here ya go! 20181025_161407.jpg

Attached Files:

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thank you for the pictures - looks as my other Hauppage TV/cable adapter [model 650 I recall];
    if it has no silicon's modification, then it would works in EU for OTA and for cables QAM with not-scrambled channels
    Could you please provide chip's model ? - the pictures don't allow me to read its labels.

10. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Here's one of the chips. I'm not home

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    U201, U202,U300

12. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Hmm didn't send. Thanks Verizon LTE

13. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    I think my modem is double bonded automatically. I bought my own equipment. Either way, im not complaining :)

If this helps, under Windows 10, it identifies the dongle as being in "Bulk,OEM" mode. I wonder if this can be reprogrammed. I wonder what the chip can actually do and what the limitations are. I wonder if its just a "jellybean" part. The drivers installed under on Windows 10 with the happhauge drivers. (Had to turn testsigning on)

My final question, why were these paired with a box of Wallys? The only thing I can think of is that someone that was at dish dumped their old parts off. Funny, I live in North Illinois. I cant see a use here unless Comcast and Dish decided to do something for local channels. Im going to try to go to my friends place to see if I can pick something up. Also, when the tuner is being acessed some lights come on depending on what your doing.

14. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Also, I'm going to do a channel scan with the dish dongle, and a QAM wintv tuner card. Can't wait to see the results

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As mentioned above, the intended use of these modules are to connect the Wally receiver to a DISH QAM based distribution system - such a system is normally installed in a MDU environment (hospital, dormitory, apartments). There are special tuners that receive a DISH transponder and convert it to QAM at the head end.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there is other way to try win driver/soft - correct setup.ini and add the dongle's VID/PID to it

17. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Hmmmmm. Not sure. If you would like, you can pm me so I can give you my number

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's common technic when you're customizing, say USB-RS232 chips like Prolific PL-2302, many companies mfg-ing different dongles using the chip and each model have own VID_PID combo;
    usually companies who mfg such bridges provide utility to change VID_PID during production
    so all VID_PID combinations listed in setup.ini
    you could upload somewhere your ini file to review, also take the device VID_PID in Win Properties

tylorert likes this.
  19. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Hm, I'm not to strong on this particular subject. Like I said. If you want to pm me so I can give you my number so we can talk about this I'm fine with that