1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network VOD Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by skywarner, Jul 26, 2010.

1. skywarner

skywarner New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Hello,

I was about to switch to Dish and had a couple of questions about their Video on Demand Service. First, is it necessary to have the DVR box hooked up to an internet connection or do you just need it hooked to a phone line? I heard DirecTV needs an internet connection, but I am not sure about Dish Network.

Also, does Dish include a lot of the free content that cable does, such as the TV shows? How about the offerings for kids? Is there NickJR on demand selections or other free kids shows?

Thanks for your help.

Johnny in New Hampshire

2. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    It does need to be connected to the internet if you want what is known as the "DISH Online" version of VOD. There are free titles as well as pay per view choices. I personally can't help with the specific offerings, I really don't use it much.

From what I have read, unless you have a 922 model receiver the download speed is painfuly slow. I have a 722K and when I want to watch something I usually schedule it well in advance to make sure it's available when I want it.

There are also VOD movies that DISH loads onto your HDD in advance so that if you want to pay for one it's already queued up and ready to go.

3. PhillipC@DISH Network

PhillipC@DISH Network Guest

Jan 5, 2011
    Happy to hear you are considering getting out service.

You can have the DVR receiver connected to either a phone line or to the internet. As SDWC said, you won't be able to access the DISHOnline feature unless you have the receiver connected to a broadband connection (recommended speed of at least 300Kbps). But keep in mind that there are still other services that you can take advantage of such as DISH Remote Access, interactive channels (ex. The Weather Channel), having the ability to paying your bill through your receiver, ordering PPV's through your remote, caller ID, and it also helps us troubleshoot issues with your receiver if we ever need to.

We have a variety programming available on our on demand line-up; feel free to visit our website to learn more:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/vod/default.aspx

4. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    They have some TV shows, but IMO the selection is pretty slim.

5. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    The VOD works very well on my 922, but agree, need way more free content, and more TV content.

PPV and VOD movies on dish are way too expensive, IMO. At $6.99 a piece, usually for only a 24-hour viewing, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd rather drive a mile to Redbox and watch a current movie for $1, or blu-ray for $1.50.

Not to mention Netflix streaming, etc.

If all PPV and VOD movies were something like $1.99, I'd be burning up the lines, but not at $6.99. I think Dish is really missing the mark here.

6. Dish97

Dish97 AllStar

Dec 19, 2009
    $6.99 IS too expensive for something you watch once and cannot even store on your DVR.
    My sister asked me to connect her 722k to the internet while she went away one week. Anxious to see how it would work, so I agreed.
    No problems connecting. Used Netgear home plugs.
    Dish claims thousands of movies online.
    When I searched, over 3800 titles did come up. When I filtered out for only titles in HD, number drops to about 82. Maybe two or three worth watching. Maybe 1 worth paying for.
    If VOD or Dish online gave one the option of "buying" an HD title, would it be worth 7.99? 8.99?
    For me, possibly.
    But when I see a title like 2001 available in HD online for one time viewing at 4.99, I say "you've got to be kidding."
    I've got a nice clean copy on my EHD from HDNET Movies I can watch anytime I please.
    I don't think I'll be in any hurry to connect my 4 DVRs to the internet.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I have my VIP722k connected to both a phone line and internet.I really like their Caller ID on screen feature(Caller ID access is ordered through your phone company) plus internet connection even though I may not order a pay per view movie I like having all the options available to me with my Dish Network receiver.

Plus there have been reports that Dish Network has called up a subscriber to schedule a tech visit because the customer is having bad signal problems and the customer didn't even know they were.I'm sure that the customer being connected to the phone and internet may have helped with that call?.;)

Your pay per view options without being connected is very limited plus if you want to order a movie you would have to call in to do so and there is a charge for that.Where with a phone line and internet connected you can order a movie with your Dish Network remote control and there is no extra fee.:)

I have tried my Dish Network receiver unconnected and connected and it is my own opinion that my receiver works better when it's connected to the phone and internet.Plus like I said before I do like to know I have these options available to me if I need it.:)

8. Michael1

Michael1 Legend

Feb 24, 2010
    I would like to add that if you get a 211K, there is no dishonline.com VOD content. I tried, couldn't find it, and got passed around to some techs, until someone in the know said it wasn't available. You can do a few things online, but not much.

Michael

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Umm... you have to have a DVR in order to use Dish Online. Where would you download Dish Online content if you don't have a DVR?

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The external hard drive option.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess I just never would have expected to be able to do that because on the DVRs, you can't archive to an EHD any of the Dish Online content... so it makes sense that the 211K with external drive wouldn't support it either.

12. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Just watched SALT which came out on DVD last week. Will watch Red next week. Both $6.99 for HD on Dish VOD. Both on Blu-ray from Netflix. Guess how I watched SALT tonight. :lol: Those 2 alone paid for a month of 1 at a time, including blu-ray and unlimited streaming.

13. TroyD

TroyD New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. I just got my VIP722 installed and I seem to only have 720 tv shows, and not much is current. Is this what I should expect?

14. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    I never counted what I get, but 720 TV shows seems like quite a bit. I just thought Dish would offer similar content as Comcast. I'm not sticking up for Comcast but they had a whole bunch of current TV programs. If you forgot to record a popular program chances are it would be on their free HD OnDemand. They usually kept the last 4 or 4 episodes available. They also had a decent selection of free HD movies. These were not new releases but they were not ancient either. There was a charge for new movies, similar to Dish, but Comcast had a larger selection. Bottom line is I am disappointed by Dish's online ondemand TV programs.

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Comcast isn't restricted by what can be delivered over satellite or ethernet. It's not exactly a level playign field when you compare them.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Doesn't make any sense - the 211's "EHD" in reality is full functioning SYSTEM drive with same purpose as 622/722's internal.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Comcast has a 10-year head start with OnDemand, which wasn't possible with satellite until the last few years when the average home user has some form of high-speed Internet, and Comcast still has the advantage due to having free (to them), dedicated bandwidth for OnDemand.

Also, back 12-13 years ago, Comcast was able to get nearly everyone to sign contracts allowing their content to be offered via OnDemand. Since then, the networks have discovered that they can offer their content OnDemand over the Internet themselves, and keep all of the money and control in-house. That has made it MUCH more difficult for relative late-comers (i.e., the sat TV providers) to get contracts for a lot of that same content.

Of course, most Comcast systems don't offer nearly as many HD channels as satellite does, so it's a trade-off. Comcast knew over a decade ago that their linear channel capabilities would be limited for various reasons, so they invested heavily in OnDemand, and that (plus Internet services) is their biggest strength right now.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm not to keen about DISHONLINE. What I do is scan HBO & STARZ and other premiums and DVR my selections.

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Comcast has probably has thousands of programs and movies because they have lots of servers that hold content. Dish and DirecTV don't.

20. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Satellite delivery of programming is very limited in bandwidth, whereas calbe has much more flexibility thru multiplexing over wire.optical cable.

Satellite program distribution can NEVER compete with cable in this area, they are just that different.