1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network vs Time Warner? ...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by speedmaster, Feb 1, 2013.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    We've been Dish Network customers for about 14 years and have generally been pretty happy (I think we have the 200 channel package). My only gripes are losing the MSG and SNY sports networks. We have the 922 DVR with built in Sling and absolutely love it. Great DVR.

But we're open to the idea of switching back to Time Warner if the channels we want are there and the price is right. Since we already use Time Warner for RoadRunner we though maybe we could save some money if we bundled services?

I've tried calling Time Warner a couple times to find out how good their DVRs are, and how they compare to the Dish 922, but I never really get a straight answer.

Unless the TW DVR is now as good as Dish's I probably don't want to switch, and might even move up to the Hopper DVR.

Anyone here have experience with both? Or words of wisdom?

For what it's worth, we currently have two HDTVs and might add a third this year.

Thanks VERY much in advance,
    Chris

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm with Dish too, but I do go to my mom's house in the Kansas City area and she has TW.

I find their equipment to be horrible but thought it was just because I wasn't used to the clunky way they do things. But my bro-in-law cusses that box everytime he uses it and I can see why. Slow is a key word to think when using it. Even slower than Direct's slowest!

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do not go to Time Warner, LParsons is right, they are horrid. At least their normal DVR only stores about 20 total hours of HD content. The UI is horrible, OS is terrible. You would regret it.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I think in your case, I would look at DirecTV. Since you mentioned the sports you are missing out on, especially in the New York area, DirecTV and you might be the best you can come up with.

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Agree with this. I had DirectTV for about 15 years and was happy with them; like Dish, they had some things I did not like and a lot I did. (I only switched to Dish because when I moved to where I live now DirectTV did not carry the locals in HD and Dish did.) I lived in KC and TW's equipment was really, really clutzy.

6. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    Great discussion, I really appreciate all of the great responses everyone, thanks!

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you go with Time Warner cable I would get a 4 tuner Tivo. It would be money up front but you'd save in the long run.

You really should look at both TW and Directv and compare the two, then decide what's best for you.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

8. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Even if it's two tuner, the suggestion for TiVo is a must if you're doing cable. I can state that from personal experience.

9. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Having switched from DirecTV to Dish in large part because the DirecTV DVR was so slow, you'd be wise to do some reading on the DirecTV threads, particularly the one on whether DirecTV will ever make a responsive DVR.

At least with cable, you have the option of bringing your own box (though you do give up PPV on most carriers.)