1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network while Tailgating

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mike1sc, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Can someone shed some light on Dish's new portable dish and receiver for tailgating. I can't talk on phone due to some throat cancer issues and the Dish website kept looping me back to things I didn't think made sense.

I am not currently a Dish customer. I tailgate at South Carolina games which is in the Columbia, SC tv market. I live 70 miles away in another market. Here's my questions:

Do I have to buy the portable dish and receiver? I know it says you have to on the website, but I'm not a Dish customer. I am primarily wanting access to HD channels showing other college football games on the Saturdays during September, October, and November. I don't want to have to buy a package of channels that will never be watched. I've flagged over 2 different Dish vans in my local area and asked both installers (because I can talk...just not on the phone) about my options, and both times they shrugged their shoulders.

Can someone throw me a bone here and give me some advice on my subject topic. I'm thanking anyone in advance for taking the time to respond.

2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you get this service you will be a Dish Network customer!

I hope you don't think this equipment is for free-to-air OTA signals.

There is a locals only option, but you would definitely have to purchase all the equipment. The only way to get "free" equipment is to agree to a 2-year commitment to an "AT" package. If you need the college sports networks that's going to take an AT package plus the "ticket" pack (I can't recall what the College pack's name is off the top of my head).

3. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi Mike, the previous poster was correct about you needing to be a DISH customer to use our Tailgater. It is a very cool satellite and weighs about 10lbs. It works with our 211k receiver. We have a Pay-As-You-Go account that can be activated and deactivated at your discretion. This way you will only be charged for the programming when the receiver is activated. DISH Network no longer does a locals only package but you could get DISH Family, which would be $24.99. The College Football games would require the ESPN Game Plan. With this PPV option you would not want to deactivate the account till the Plan ends as you pay for the season and not just what you watch. You do not need additional programming to subscribe to this. Please let em know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
  5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Would you be able to get the locals OTA at that location? I doubt that Dish would allow you to switch locals while you are tailgating unless you own a property in that market and could use that as the service address.

You may or may not be able to get your Agusta locals in Columbia. That depends if the spot beam for the Agusta locals can be received in Columbia.

It may make sense for you to switch all of your TVs to Dish. If you are a sports fan, you might want to also look at Direct too.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 20
    Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for the reply Mary. I think I pretty much knew most of this with a few exceptions, which if you don't mind, I'll ask here. I am a real fan of the pay as you go format, because it appears I would only want the service in September, October, and November of each year. I am not in the Columbia, South Carolina market, but would be tailgating there each time. What network affiliates would I pickup if I was using the service in Columbia? I am assuming my local market is spot-beamed and wouldn't be available in the Columbia area, and I am also assuming I couldn't get the Columbia affiliates because I don't live there. Am I correct to assume I would get the NY affiliates or another major market? Thanks in advance for any response.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 20
    MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    The Columbia, SC locals include ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, MNT, & CW. All locals are determined by the zip code listed as the physical address on the DISH Network account.

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 20
    speedboat

speedboat AllStar

Sep 22, 2009
    As for locals, the 211 has a built in OTA tuner and the 211K can be upgraded w/ an OTA tuner. I'm sure a pretty all you would need is a fairly minimal antenna. Of course... you could probably just hook the antenna directly to the big screen TV you bring with tailgating.

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 20
    upsss

upsss Cool Member

Apr 1, 2011
    The 211 and the 211K have a built-in OTA tuner.

10. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Good point...but my luck the big game being broadcast would be on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU, and there I would be standing there with my antenna in my hand (smile).

11. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I don't know how many are out there but the Tailgater is now compatible with the 211 and 411 as well.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Those are the most expensive channels (to the carriers). As a result they get bundled in a package with a bunch of less expensive channels. Unfortunately you can't get channels like these a-la carte. You would have to the minimum "AT" pack and perhaps the $5 sports pack add-on.

13. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Hey folks...I just bought the Dish Tailgater, it will arrive Friday with the 211 receiver. By early next week, I think I can accurately tell people what I think of this system.

14. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Oh, by the way, thanks to everyone here who posted...made my decision to buy this easier. Special thanks to Mary from Dish who pm'ed me with specific information...tried to pm her back but due to my post count I couldn't. If you are reading Mary....thanks for your specific explanation.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

A review to come!

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome!

You've just hit the magic number, 5, so you can PM away.....

16. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Wow.....5 posts in over three years! Shows how really slow I am! Yes, I just pm'ed Mary B for her specific help. Take care.

17. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I would like to make one additional comment. I live in the Augusta, Georgia area and it somewhat disappointed me that there was only one true "local" Dish authorized store in this area, and their phone rang and rang...called three times on Wednesday and no one ever answered. The other 8 listings in the yellow pages in this area were all call forwarded to a service obviously in another country because they struggled in speaking English. After going to three RV stores in the local area, who all said they were going to carry the Tailgater but didn't have them, I was left with Ebay, which ended up being a nugget....buying the Tailgater and receiver and getting it overnighted from Jacksonville, Florida. Hats off to that store in Jacksonville that went out of their way to not only sell this item to me but to get it on the way a day before Thanksgiving. Still don't know who I was communicating with at Rivers RV & Bus Sales in Jacksonville, but after a day of frustration in trying to find someone who would sell this to me, I'd give those folks 5 stars for their efforts, and let's face it, they got the sale.

The Augusta, Georgia area is the second largest city after Atlanta in the state of Georgia. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of presence of real people affiliated with Dish in the area. That's all I'll say about that subject.

A review will come on Monday!

18. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Mike you might find there is a good reason DISH isn't well represented by local dealers. I started selling DISH the first month they were in business, I was a "C" band dealer for the parent Echostar so I had a few years experience with them. I recently received a seiilement from DISH under a class action law suit. DISH had stolen enough from me as a dealer to pay cash for a new car. We the dealers "SOLD" DISH into existence when Directv and DISH were unknown products, Charlie has stolen from us and cut our throats because he no longer needs us. DISH is now successful without a local presence so you can't find local support, or even English speaking contacts.

19. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I didn't want to come across as bashing...I wasn't. Just a concern.

20. Mike1sc

Mike1sc New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Well, as stated earlier, I was gonna come back on here and give my review of the Tailgater. Here I am....unfortunately my unit got in late last Friday, too late to set it up in the driveway. Off I went to the South Carolina-Clemson game early Saturday, but when I got there and got setup, everyone was watching the Auburn-Alabama game on CBS, so I watched that one too, with rabbit ears. I decided not to activate my Tailgater because it was the last game of the season, and it didn't make any sense to.

I guess I'll watch for anything which may change between now and next August, activate it then thru the end of college football next year. Thanks to everyone that posted to me and the pms as well. I'm set now.